HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > BIKE CHAT > Thread: The image of sportbike riders NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
beansbaxter


Needs a life
Posts: 5911
posted December 08, 2005 10:25 AM        
The image of sportbike riders

What is the most damaging thing a sportbike rider can do to the image of motorcycling and sportbiking?

Drag racing on public roads?
Roadracing on public roads?
Wheelies and/or stunt riding on public roads?
Crashing?
Loud pipes?
Excessive speed?

Add your own or pick one of the above....or do you not care at all...

  Ignore this member    Click here to visit beansbaxter's homepage. 
Just Joy


Needs a job
Posts: 3976
posted December 08, 2005 10:42 AM        
I think there is a place and time for all of the above, differant circumstances always come into play, one can be responsible or irresponsible in all cases......except crashing, no time and place is great for that....some places are better than others mind you......just my 02
  Ignore this member    Click here to send Just Joy an AIM message. 
worm~hole


Needs a life
Miles to go before I sleep....
Posts: 10623
posted December 08, 2005 10:49 AM        
...what joy said...
____________
“We sleep safe in our beds because rough men
stand ready in the night to visit violence on those
who would do us harm.”

-George Orwell

  Ignore this member   
frEEk


Administrator
ummm... yeah
Posts: 9660
posted December 08, 2005 01:33 PM        
i dont think there's any one particular item that stands out. i think any tomfoolery in an area where there are other people (traffic or peeps on teh sidewalk) damages the biker image, be it racing, wheelies, or just plain ridin fast. i suppose speed is involved in all of those things.
  Ignore this member    Click here to visit frEEk's homepage. 
Evander


Expert Class
Posts: 130
posted December 08, 2005 04:14 PM        
Public roads hummm, I know a few good roads that if there are six cars on it in a twelve hour span it's been busy.

There is a time and place for everything but the two I hear cagers bitching about the most is riders "blowing" by them, so I guess that's excessive speed. And "those riders doing wheelies and crap" that falls under stunting.

Drag racing that I've seen is done on lightly traveled roads or the occasional two bikes at a stop light. Really both of those can only be seen by a few cagers. Those that happen to travel down an industrial road late at night or the few cars around the bikes when they launch.

Road racing. How can a driver even know if your racing unless you're hauling ass? The excessive speed is what's noticed by driver not the act of "racing."

Crashes happen around here so often that most people take little notice let alone know if it's a motorcycle or car.

Loud pipes I hear complained about more towards the HD crowd.

The things that draw the most attention is doing stupid crap in full view of everybody and their moms. Whether it's stunts or hauling ass.

Just my $.02
____________
It's not the bike, it's the rider.

  Ignore this member   
MAXIMUS


Needs a job
Posts: 4156
posted December 08, 2005 05:08 PM        
i think its when you get someone on a bike that just cuts in and out off traffic, passing on the shoulder, passing between cars. I feel most of the drivers like to see guys pull stunts, and when they drag race they really dont do it in heavy traffice.
  Ignore this member   
Outsiderzx12r


Zone Head
Street Racer
Posts: 841
posted December 09, 2005 08:16 AM        
quote:
...what joy said...


Agreed.
____________
OutsiderZX12R
2000 ZX12R-A1


  Ignore this member    Click here to visit OutsiderZX12R's homepage. 
CrotchRocket


Moderator
Bracket Racing with Betsy
Posts: 8038
posted December 09, 2005 11:08 AM        
Yeah what JJ said...

But it really doesn't matter how responsible you are if someone does not like what you are doing, then they point their finger at you!!!...Not just in motorcycleing, it happens in everything we do...At work, home, in public!!!

As the quote says, you cant please everyone, so you got to please yourself...But also be responsible to not make yourself look like the bad guy...

In my experience the best thing to do is take it off the streets, for the main reason of not to hurt yourself !!!
____________
Jason Miller StreetBike Seminars

*****DragRacers do it better, because they dont cut Corners*****

  Ignore this member    Click here to visit CrotchRocket's homepage. 
NinjaNick


Needs a job
'08 ZX14 (Blue)
Posts: 4558
posted December 09, 2005 07:20 PM        
quote:
i think its when you get someone on a bike that just cuts in and out off traffic, passing on the shoulder, passing between cars. I feel most of the drivers like to see guys pull stunts, and when they drag race they really dont do it in heavy traffice.



+1 AGREED!

  Ignore this member   
trenace


Needs a job
Posts: 3056
posted December 09, 2005 07:59 PM        Edited By: trenace on 9 Dec 2005 19:59
I dunno if it helps, but if passing someone that I plan to be going much faster than they are right after passing them, the way I do it is I accelerate so going maybe 10 mph faster than them as approaching, then coast past them (sometimes with clutch actually in and idling, other times just not accelerating), get a 'respectful' distance ahead, and then open it up only after that. My theory is that that appears more respectful, not like blasting past them, not like "challenging" them due to courteously rolling off as actually going past. Sort of "respecting their space." Of course they may not care, it's just my theory it may help, compared to blasting past at full throttle anyway.
  Ignore this member   
NinjaNick


Needs a job
'08 ZX14 (Blue)
Posts: 4558
posted December 10, 2005 08:56 AM        
You know TREN, I do that sometimes.

If I'm feeling really nice when nail it going by, but once on side of car/truck/et...I pull clutch in to kill the screaming pipe then once in front, WOT and I'm ghost!

If a cage pisses me off then I give them 15,000rpms of pure jap muscle in their window.

  Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
BIKELAND > FORUMS > BIKE CHAT > Thread: The image of sportbike riders NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed


Copyright 2000-2026 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.2093551158905 seconds processing time