GOZR

Zone Head
GOZR
Posts: 716
|
posted August 20, 2003 03:50 PM
MAXTON a Joke?
I'm watching videos link from the race at Maxton
It remind me the freeway in the bay area, cement road with junctions.
Is that a joke track or what?
Can peoples find a smooth road or an ex airport .
Are you going there to test the speed or the suspensions?
It look like to me that the bikes are ricochetING .
You people need to organize something with legal procedures..somewhere else.
____________
-G
|
TurboBlew

Moderator
BUSY DOING THE SCHIAVO
Posts: 4590
|
posted August 20, 2003 04:02 PM
Be our guest. Its supposed to be repaved in the near future... but its definitely the "ghetto" of landspeed racing.
|
GOZR

Zone Head
GOZR
Posts: 716
|
posted August 20, 2003 04:04 PM
I see..
Ok Possible to do a petition...?
____________
-G
|
wannabe

Pro
Posts: 1931
|
posted August 20, 2003 04:13 PM
Edited By: wannabe on 20 Aug 2003 17:15
Gozr,
My buddies and I have been talking about trying to set up something similer on the left coast. We figured that Castle Airport (formerly Castle Airforce Base) would be the best place for it. The runway is WIDE and LONG. That place used to be a B-52 bomber base. The runway is almost 3 miles long and smooth. I used to go there in my cessna 172, and I could do 4 - 5 touch and go's all in a straight line.
It's in a perfect spot because it's half way between northern and southern california. So, if we can get it set up there, a bunch of folks from SoCal would come up as well. Maybe we could even convince the SCTA (Southern California Timing Association) to sanction the race.
Right now, it's in the BS stage. None of us have really gotten the wild hair up our asses to actually find out if we could get it done. It's nice to dream about though. ;-)
I even have the logo for the race in my head. There is an SR-71 parked there at the museum. I always thought that it would be cool to have a shirt with a motorcycle (preferably a ZX-12) in the front and the SR-71 in the background.
|
GOZR

Zone Head
GOZR
Posts: 716
|
posted August 20, 2003 04:32 PM
Wannabe do you have the map to see where it is?
Man i allways wanted to do the same but "Alone" it's too much.Did you read my post in
http://www.bikeland.org/board/viewthread.php?FID=1&TID=8512&set_time=
____________
-G
|
GOZR

Zone Head
GOZR
Posts: 716
|
posted August 20, 2003 04:33 PM
We have a big potential all together but no one move..
I wish it wouldn't stay a dream
____________
-G
|
wannabe

Pro
Posts: 1931
|
posted August 20, 2003 04:42 PM
This is the link to the airport info:
http://www.airnav.com/airport/KMER
|
VincentHill

Needs a life
Posts: 6520
|
posted August 20, 2003 05:00 PM
I will make a confession here that only a very few people know!
If it were not for Willie T Ribbs, I would not have raced at Maxton!
The explanation is, Willie T Ribbs is a Black Car Racer that was a "7" Times TransAm Champion. Not satisfied with this, he wanted the Big Leagues, "Indy"!! He got Bill Cosby to sponser him and went there to race. What he found out was to go really fast, you had to drive past the mechanical grip (about 218 to 220 mph) into no mans land (No Mechanical or Aero Grip) to get to Aero Grip which starts around 225 to 228 MPH. He found out that between these two types of Grips, there was no grip at all and the car was extremely loose. He also found that he could not come up with the Nerve to drive through this loose condition and gave up Indy and Indy car racing!
What does this have to do with me? When you go to Maxton, the first thing you will notice is "There are no Black people" There are no Black spectators, Visitors, Racers, or even friends of racers, Not even a Pit crew person is Black! (Now there have been a black family and a few others and the truth be told, they came there because someone told them that there was a Black person racing and they wanted to see for themselves if there really was a "Black" person racing! Understanding that there are no other blacks racing and to know that one of the best TransAm car racers could not join the all white club at Indy, I just had no choice but to ride the course! I was not going to be a "Willie T Ribbs" also! Maxton is one scary looking place. A slow drive down the runway and the first thing you will say to yourself is "I do not want to do 35 mph, let alone 135 mph and how in the Hell can someone go "235" there!
The story is not over, I made sure that I set a record the first time I was there and am working on my bike right now so that I can join the "200 MPH Club"! (and you guessed it, it is also all white)
Now that I have said all of this I also want to say that #1, not one person I met at Maxton ever made me feel un-welcome or that I was even being just "tolorated". I cannot say that I was treated better or worse than anyone else and this goes for all of the racers and administration! #2, You can bet that no matter what color I am, that I not only want to go over 200 MPH at Maxton and Join that club, but one day, I want to run over 220 at Bonneville and join that 200 MPH Club also! Last, I will enjoy this more because I will be either almost 60 or over 60 when I do all of this and may I add without spending a lot of money! I hope that no one is offended by what I have written because it was not meant to be "Raciest" as in Hate, but more like a little Pride! It is not easy (nowadays) to be the first or the best at anything! In this case, I plan to enjoy it for every possible reason I can think of!
____________
Made History @ Daytona and still one fast old man!!
|
wannabe

Pro
Posts: 1931
|
posted August 20, 2003 05:13 PM
Willie T. Ribbs!!! Thanks for bringing back a cool memory, Vincent. He went to my high school. That would be James Lick high school in San Jose, California. I still remember being a 15 year old kid in drivers training when Willie T. Ribbs just randomly came to visit one day. (This was a couple years before he started driving Indy cars.)
My driving school teacher told me that Willie used to get in trouble all the time because he loved doing donuts in the school parking lot.
|
TurboBlew

Moderator
BUSY DOING THE SCHIAVO
Posts: 4590
|
posted August 20, 2003 05:20 PM
Well being that NASA isnt using the lovely 3mile landing strip at Cape Canaveral... why cant we use that??
Go getum GOZR... tell em your a Frenchie with a mission.
|
GOZR

Zone Head
GOZR
Posts: 716
|
posted August 20, 2003 05:31 PM
Vincent
We live only Once.
To be French with my accent it is a pin in the ass as well with the men.. I can tell you some stories, i don't care about anyone says. I didn't grew up with that mentality and for me it was an cultural shock when i came to the U.S
My family lost everything back to North Africa. grew up in the badest Poor neigbourg in France, went to the "Foreign legion" because it was my only solution.
I used to race in the middle of downtown full speed with the cops in our asses because we never new the differences , i lost all my friends that way,and i passed so many .Now in the states time to realize my dreams..
I did my first it's to have meet my wife here..
I 'm proud to talk with you guys no matter what..Many members around here inspire others to do so..
Vincent thanks to you to be one of them...
____________
-G
|
oldkawboy

Needs a job
Posts: 2125
|
posted August 20, 2003 08:01 PM
Maxton may indeed be a joke to some, but it's all us right coasters have.
I know there is some great straightaways in Florida and guys are using GPS, but Maxton is legal (like I care) reasonably safe and is timed by a sanction body...ECTA.
It's run by volunteers, dues aren't too bad and yes the concrete with potholes suck, but it's all we got and if it was too bad we wouldn't keep going back.
Vincent,
I didn't take any of your statement as being racist, you're as proud of your heritage as I am mine.
I'm glad I got in the 200mph club back when it was easy at only 202+, now it's getting TOUGH!!!
Hope to see everyone at the October meet.
Dan
|
Koz
Expert Class
Posts: 304
|
posted August 21, 2003 04:11 AM
When I went to Maxton, the first thing I noticed was that there are "NO POLISH PEOPLE". That made me decide I was going to change this. When I entered for the race the news spread like wildfire. People from all over came to see if it was true. I even noticed several polish families holding up signs of encouragement. Give me a fucking break already, does everything have to be BLACK AND WHITE? Stop thinking that EVERYTHING is racist! When you stop thinking this way, racism will stop.
Bill Koz
|
Otis

Needs a job
Captain Kickstand
Posts: 3028
|
posted August 21, 2003 04:20 AM
Vincent, I think the word "race" in GOZR's post meant motorcycles competing, not the color of anyone's skin. Just thought I'd clarify that for you in case you thought it was about you.
____________
It's a free country brother
|
Ninjaman12R

Needs a job
as a Deal's Gap tour guide.
Posts: 4767
|
posted August 21, 2003 04:53 AM
Edited By: Ninjaman12R on 21 Aug 2003 05:55
Hey Koz.....
You crack me up dude!!!
While I've never been to Maxton, I can certainly see the appeal of it. Locally there is a road (Great River Road) that is very wide, has several sections that are buttery smooth, and straight, for miles. It's the same road where I raced the 502 Boss Hoss. I have took every streetbike I've ever had to this road and just let the thing dig. Took the 12R to some outlaw street races down there last spring and when I left I ran the bike into the limiter in 6th (17/47 gearing) for a long way. Just listening to the thing hit the limiter for a few seconds, then it'd drop a few mph, then it'd build back up to the limiter, then drop a few mph again. It was a rush, and something I'm sure few people get to enjoy. Running WFO in 6th gear for any distance worth mentioning is a blast on the 12, that's why I say I can see the appeal of the Maxton runs. Also, like Dan said, it's legal, and relatively safe. My road, which I'm sure is a better surface, and has miles and miles of arrow straight sections, is way more dangerous and highly illegal.
____________
What we're dealin' with here is a complete lack of respect for the law.
Sheriff Buford T. Justice of TEXAS
|
VincentHill

Needs a life
Posts: 6520
|
posted August 21, 2003 04:55 AM
WIth the possible exception of NASCAR, I really do not think that there is any discrimination in Motorcports except Money and Talent! Black & white are mentioned because it still surprises me when I can see something missing! Need I say James "Bubba" Stewart?? Yes he has Talent, but there is something else about him that I cannot quite put a finger on that makes people also notice him
GOZR, Serious stuff! I understand that part about most of the people you grew up with being Dead!
____________
Made History @ Daytona and still one fast old man!!
|
TurboBlew

Moderator
BUSY DOING THE SCHIAVO
Posts: 4590
|
posted August 21, 2003 04:56 AM
Koz... dont tell Harry you're Polish.... he like Polish sausage.
|
Ninjaman12R

Needs a job
as a Deal's Gap tour guide.
Posts: 4767
|
posted August 21, 2003 06:01 AM
The Hits....
quote: Koz... dont tell Harry you're Polish.... he like Polish sausage.
and the hits just keep on comin'........
____________
What we're dealin' with here is a complete lack of respect for the law.
Sheriff Buford T. Justice of TEXAS
|
EastBayDave

Needs a job
Posts: 2245
|
posted August 21, 2003 06:08 AM
I been trying to get a left coast speed run together ever since I got the Ninja in 00'. Getting everyone together is one problem, $$$ is the other.
Realize there are speed runs by the ECTA down at El Mirage dry lake, so getting help from So. CA is out. It would take a determined dedicated group from No. CA to get it to fly.
I like the Castle AFB idea Aris; lets pursue this as I've already tried all the airports around here. Alameda NAS is the best chance, but the environmental nazi's are against it here, & they got $$$ backing them up...
I formally propose a meet. GOZR, Wannnabe, myself, & who else from the No. CA area want to meet to discuss? When, where, time, etc...
Dave
____________
Enjoy the ride!
02' ZRX1200
00' ZX12R sold
|
VincentHill

Needs a life
Posts: 6520
|
posted August 21, 2003 07:31 AM
I hope that you guys suceed! Somewhere there needs to be a 10,000 to 15,000 foot runway that can be borrowed and not at Cart Prices as in Burke Lakefront Airport!!
It would be even Nicer if we could afford the main runway at Maxton, it is in great shape as opposed to the 3rd runway!
|
GOZR

Zone Head
GOZR
Posts: 716
|
posted August 21, 2003 07:55 AM
Guys i just say ..
"Stand up for your right" " fight for the Motorcycle sport"
EBD i'm up for it.
____________
-G
|
|
|