HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX12R ZONE.com > Thread: billet cam tensioner NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
wannabe


Pro
Posts: 1931
posted January 03, 2003 12:32 AM        
billet cam tensioner

OK, I keep bumping into this thing on the Schnitz website. I've never seen a post on this on any other ZX12 site where someone posted that they put one of these things on. Is it really as much of a problem as they say on the site?

Here's what they say:

APE manual cam chain tensioners are designed to replace the automatic and hydraulic tensioners on high performance engines. The automatic adjusters can back out when the throttle is closed suddenly at high rpm. This allows the cams to go momentarely out of time, and can result in bent valves and/or serious engine damage. Hydraulic tensioners have a tendency to put too much tension on the chain guide under high rpm/high oil pressure conditions, resulting in premature wear.

Both problems can be eliminated with the installation of the APE manual tensioner. No matter what the engine does, the cam chain tension will remain constant. An APE manual cam chain tensioner is a must for any kind of performance riding.



  Ignore this member   
ZHooligan


Moderator
Post Whore Extraordinaire!
Posts: 3829
posted January 03, 2003 12:41 AM        
Have one on my 1361. The stock tensioner is butt tight on the stroker motor. The manual tensioner works great. I don't see a need on a non stroked motor.

My opinion.


  Ignore this member   
entropy


Moderator
Posts: 8671
posted January 03, 2003 01:43 AM        
quote:
Have one on my 1361. The stock tensioner is butt tight on the stroker motor. The manual tensioner works great. I don't see a need on a non stroked motor.

My opinion.




ditto!
____________
This moderator uses moderation in moderation

  Ignore this member   
EastBayDave


Needs a job
Posts: 2245
posted January 03, 2003 06:59 AM        
On a non-big motor probably not that big a deal. However if I were you, I'd be slowly "rolling" off the throttle at the end of the dragstrip. Don't "slam" it shut & you shouldn't have any problems...

FYI, I've been using these for years on all my modded bikes, & the nice thing about them is they won't back off like the automatic types will. They stay where you put them, & I used to adjust them every race (a bit overkill, but had peace of mind that way...)

$46 from Ape
____________
Enjoy the ride!
02' ZRX1200
00' ZX12R sold

  Ignore this member   
VincentHill


Needs a life
Posts: 6520
posted January 03, 2003 07:37 AM        
Pierre Gave me a tensioner and I have not used it, but after seeing what can happen to a stock one, (They really can back up a notch) I will be using it next year. Low cost insurance!
____________
Made History @ Daytona and still one fast old man!!

  Ignore this member   
swft


Needs a life
Full throttle!
Posts: One MEEEEEELLION
posted January 03, 2003 08:14 AM        
I'm going to run the stock tensioner at Bonneville, don't want a protest. That being said, I ran the bike at the drags last year with the APE tensioner, no probs.
  Ignore this member   
psycho1122


Pro
Posts: 1608
posted January 03, 2003 08:21 AM        
The Kawi Ratchet Type tentioner's are not known to have any "Back Out" problems.
____________
You say PSYCHO like it's a BAD thing!!

  Ignore this member   
VincentHill


Needs a life
Posts: 6520
posted January 03, 2003 09:49 AM        
The one in Bear's Bike did. Remember there was another person's engine in his bike and they had the stock tensioner, Pierre thinks that during a shift, the explosion broke the tensioner?
____________
Made History @ Daytona and still one fast old man!!

  Ignore this member   
ZHooligan


Moderator
Post Whore Extraordinaire!
Posts: 3829
posted January 03, 2003 01:25 PM        
And for the record they do come in colors and of course I have "the faster green one!"
____________
To those who do not count their life in years, but in how life
has touched them in the past and how much it can hold in the
future; -- Youth is forever.

  Ignore this member   
kcadby


Pro
Posts: 1733
posted January 03, 2003 03:56 PM        
quote:
Have one on my 1361. The stock tensioner is butt tight on the stroker motor. The manual tensioner works great. I don't see a need on a non stroked motor.

My opinion.




I quoted this...JUST TO SEE THE DOG...again,,,
I put the APE in the 1361 we built...
The engine changes RPMs "quickly" (fast to slower) with the air shifter also...
APE told me they have seen the pivot-pin break on stock tensioners..."I beleive it to be" few and far between but the $45 IS cheap insurance...IMO...

Gotta love that dog

  Ignore this member    Click here to visit kcadby's homepage. 
VincentHill


Needs a life
Posts: 6520
posted January 03, 2003 07:08 PM        
quote:
And for the record they do come in colors and of course I have "the faster green one!"


ANd just what color do you think "I" Have??
____________
Made History @ Daytona and still one fast old man!!

  Ignore this member   
ZHooligan


Moderator
Post Whore Extraordinaire!
Posts: 3829
posted January 03, 2003 07:27 PM        Edited By: ZHooligan on 5 Jan 2003 01:07
Grrreeen!
  Ignore this member   
VincentHill


Needs a life
Posts: 6520
posted January 04, 2003 01:33 PM        
There was no guessing on your part! Of course Green
____________
Made History @ Daytona and still one fast old man!!

  Ignore this member   
entropy


Moderator
Posts: 8671
posted January 04, 2003 05:07 PM        
quote:
And for the record they do come in colors and of course I have "the faster green one!"


yep, same here
____________
This moderator uses moderation in moderation

  Ignore this member   
VincentHill


Needs a life
Posts: 6520
posted January 04, 2003 07:33 PM        
There is only one problem, you guys are faster! "OH" I forgot, mine is not installed yet! Wait till later this year.
____________
Made History @ Daytona and still one fast old man!!

  Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX12R ZONE.com > Thread: billet cam tensioner NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed


Copyright 2000-2026 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.21414804458618 seconds processing time