HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX12R ZONE.com > Thread: Ferodo Full Float Rear Rotor NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
VincentHill


Needs a life
Posts: 6520
posted December 19, 2002 06:34 PM        
Ferodo Full Float Rear Rotor

Not much to look at. except the fact that the brake pads hold it in place (Side to Side) Remember, this is the first "REAR" full float Brake Rotor on a street Bike (6.5 Ounces Lighter)





Please do not show me, Tell me or let me know about anything else that is neat or cost money!
____________
Made History @ Daytona and still one fast old man!!

  Ignore this member   
swft


Needs a life
Full throttle!
Posts: One MEEEEEELLION
posted December 19, 2002 07:03 PM        
*laughs* Hey, got mine yesterday. I'll have it on the bike this weekend, so no worries! The only thing neat I've found is the bike speedo (see digital speedo thread).
  Ignore this member   
ZHooligan


Moderator
Post Whore Extraordinaire!
Posts: 3829
posted December 19, 2002 07:22 PM        
Now that we know your weakness Vincent we shall try to contribute to your addiction!!!

When did you get the mini cooper and what did you spend?

  Ignore this member   
VincentHill


Needs a life
Posts: 6520
posted December 20, 2002 05:51 AM        Edited By: VincentHill on 20 Dec 2002 15:24
quote:
*laughs* Hey, got mine yesterday. I'll have it on the bike this weekend, so no worries! The only thing neat I've found is the bike speedo (see digital speedo thread).


Swft, did you read the instructions? Did it mention "Washers"? Did you receive them? Also, did you see that the "Stock" Pads may be too hard on the dics?

I really hate the "Cleaning" Process! Removing the paint. (Not as bad as NiCad II, where you get rolled up bits of metal. I plan to drag the pads over it and attempt to clean the Disc with Brake Cleaner and then the Pads!)

We dont need no stinking "Washers: The large head bolts take care of it. He also said that if you just slap on the disc and take it for a ride, about 10 stops, the heat will turn the paint to dust and go away>>
____________
Made History @ Daytona and still one fast old man!!

  Ignore this member   
VincentHill


Needs a life
Posts: 6520
posted December 20, 2002 06:04 AM        
quote:
Now that we know your weakness Vincent we shall try to contribute to your addiction!!!

When did you get the mini cooper and what did you spend?


I just hit clear Fields by accident! now all I can say is $24,000 and no real mark up unless the Floor mats we were forced to buy for $175 which cost the $84.
____________
Made History @ Daytona and still one fast old man!!

  Ignore this member   
ZHooligan


Moderator
Post Whore Extraordinaire!
Posts: 3829
posted December 20, 2002 12:23 PM        
So with you setting in it is it similar to the preverbial Monkey f$%^ng and football? Or is there more room in them thaen they appear to have? I have seen a few on the road but not had a chance to get up close to one let alone try setting in one. I rented a damn Suburu Forester on Tuesday for a day while out of town. Found the damn thing ok, but it was guttless and I swear the doors are tiny. I found my 63 XKE Jag easier to get in and out of!
____________
To those who do not count their life in years, but in how life
has touched them in the past and how much it can hold in the
future; -- Youth is forever.

  Ignore this member   
VincentHill


Needs a life
Posts: 6520
posted December 20, 2002 01:13 PM        
quote:
So with you setting in it is it similar to the preverbial Monkey f$%^ng and football? Or is there more room in them thaen they appear to have? I have seen a few on the road but not had a chance to get up close to one let alone try setting in one. I rented a damn Suburu Forester on Tuesday for a day while out of town. Found the damn thing ok, but it was guttless and I swear the doors are tiny. I found my 63 XKE Jag easier to get in and out of!


Large inside!

http://www.labusas.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=20477&highlight=

See for yourself. The doors are not only "Large", but they open up at least 90 degrees.

  Ignore this member   
swft


Needs a life
Full throttle!
Posts: One MEEEEEELLION
posted December 20, 2002 10:30 PM        
Ah, tis a thing of beauty!


  Ignore this member   
swft


Needs a life
Full throttle!
Posts: One MEEEEEELLION
posted December 20, 2002 10:37 PM        
Hey VH:

>Swft, did you read the instructions? Did it mention "Washers"?

Yes!

>Did you receive them?

Yes!

>Also, did you see that the "Stock" Pads may be too hard on the dics?

Yes!

>I really hate the "Cleaning" Process! Removing the paint. (Not as bad as NiCad II, where you get rolled up bits of metal. I plan to drag the pads over it and attempt to clean the Disc with Brake Cleaner and then the Pads!)

>We dont need no stinking "Washers: The large head bolts take care of it.

Whoa! You better go back and check that out. The washers are designed to sit in there and then the bolt goes through it. You'd have mega loose wobbly disk otherwise! Those washers are needed!

  Ignore this member   
ZHooligan


Moderator
Post Whore Extraordinaire!
Posts: 3829
posted December 21, 2002 12:13 AM        
Vincent's method sounds like it might result in even more of a full floating rotor!
  Ignore this member   
VincentHill


Needs a life
Posts: 6520
posted December 21, 2002 05:39 AM        
Sounds like we are on 2 different paths again. Semi float and Full Float. I spoke to Jeff before I posted that and will speak again.
____________
Made History @ Daytona and still one fast old man!!

  Ignore this member   
swft


Needs a life
Full throttle!
Posts: One MEEEEEELLION
posted December 21, 2002 06:21 AM        
Umm...Ok! I know that the rotor I received looks just like the rotor pictured in your post. The washers sit in the holes on the rotor, and the stock bolts go through the washers. Unless there are some other washers???
  Ignore this member   
VincentHill


Needs a life
Posts: 6520
posted December 21, 2002 01:37 PM        
SWFT, Now we are communicating "eh" I call those Silver Sleeves (Pins) that the Disc move on, Washers to me are either the "Wave" Washers that are like springs that are large enough to go over the Pins, or "Flat" Washers that the Disc hits before the Bolt. Remember I said that I would speak to Jeff, well here is what he said (and is now no longer needed)

"Being both head cook and bottle-washer, I assemble all this kits in the dark hours. Assuming we're speaking of the rear floaters, they should not be assembled with wave washers as that would eliminate most of the axial float...with a small lightweight little guy like these, noise from full unimpeded float will be all but detectable. Once installed with the pistons pumped back out to their normal position (self centering on the rotor), you'll note most of the axial float has been taken up...they're not going to rattle around much.
So, no wave washers on the rear!"

On the "Other" Web site, I saw the Pads that you were using. I am using the SInter Grip Ferodo ST Pads, A little milder than the GP>>
____________
Made History @ Daytona and still one fast old man!!

  Ignore this member   
swft


Needs a life
Full throttle!
Posts: One MEEEEEELLION
posted December 21, 2002 01:50 PM        
Ah! I did not receive any washers! I need to get some of the GP pads for the front, if they are being produced now. I'll have to jump on the website and check. Thanks for the info!
  Ignore this member   
ZHooligan


Moderator
Post Whore Extraordinaire!
Posts: 3829
posted December 21, 2002 04:04 PM        
To many moving parts for you guys?
  Ignore this member   
VincentHill


Needs a life
Posts: 6520
posted December 21, 2002 04:23 PM        
quote:
To many moving parts for you guys?


For "WHO"?? I never got no Stinking Washers>
____________
Made History @ Daytona and still one fast old man!!

  Ignore this member   
VincentHill


Needs a life
Posts: 6520
posted December 21, 2002 04:28 PM        Edited By: VincentHill on 21 Dec 2002 16:37
Swft, What "Rotors" are you using? I have the Street version (ST) of the Sinter Grip on the Factory Rotors, and the "Stopping" Power is very serious. On My Fastest runs at Maxton, I stopped so hard the first few times, I had to "Drive up to the first turn, to make the turn> Much more brakes and I would have done stoppies
____________
Made History @ Daytona and still one fast old man!!

  Ignore this member   
swft


Needs a life
Full throttle!
Posts: One MEEEEEELLION
posted December 21, 2002 05:47 PM        
What, you don't like stoppies? I've got the Ferodos on the front and back now. Marchesinis with Dunlop slicks, stock wheels with rains/stock rotors, and just today, a set of stock wheels with D208GPs/EBC Pro Lite front and back. That way I'm good for dry, intermediate, and wet.
  Ignore this member   
ZHooligan


Moderator
Post Whore Extraordinaire!
Posts: 3829
posted December 21, 2002 06:36 PM        
Nothing like coming out of the bus stop at Pacific Raceway in the rain on a 195 horsepower ZX12. But never fear the rain tires are on it and if necesary to keep the front end down you merely drag / use a little rear brake to control the wheel spin until she's straightened out onto the straight away, Click it up thru the gears in a controled but inevitable wheelie, slowly you make your way to the left side wall on the straight away, looking to make the entrance into turn 1 as wide as you can, banging the rev limiter in 6th gear you grit your teeth, say hello to God and tip it into turn one at 190 mph, at brake marker two set up, click it down three gears, hard on the brakes ass end stepping out a tad, pitch it hard into the turn and screw the throttle on progressively, near the exit of two the 12 is in a full leaned over wheelie, you short shift into 4th to set the front wheel down, and click into 5th for the quick short blast down the hill. Turn three looms ahead, down hill hard on the brakes, trail braking deep into the turn ( this is the land of nasty get offs) down shifting from 5th to 2nd. Hard on the throttle, the 12 starts coming around again dragging the rear brake to control wheel spin, a quick shift to third (abought 3 seconds or so of third), click down to second, run in deep in thurn 4 guys going down low in the corner passing you, ah ha you you have practiced the old late entry early exit method, they have practiced the early entry late exit tactic. Their exit speed onto the straightaway is lower and you are on the gas three or four seconds sooner and you and the 12 acting like King Kong pulls the short straight 15 miles an hour faster and you pass them all back, hard on the gas up to 4th gear, click click on the rev limiter you pitch it hard to the left in turn 5 (there is a huge concrete wall to your right!) upshift to 3rd headed straight at six, now comes the courage, hard countersteering for the right hand turn, hard on the gas and the front end pushes just enough to make the turn, you imeadeatly set up for turn seven a left hander that exits into the uphill, rolling the throttle on your leaned way over to the left, you pin the throttle just prior to the mid point of the turn, and shift into 4th, the 12 is now laying down a big darkyfrom midway in the turn on up the hill. You shift into fifth hard on the gas and swallowed in anticpation of cresting the hill leaned over to the right in turn 8. Thoughts of crashes you have seen where guys have gone airborne leaned over and either end up in the trees or highsided to the hospital! Swfts memory is a broken shifter on landing! With gritted teeth and survival instinct you roll off ever so slightly, crest the hill and scream toward turn 9 looking for lane 4 of the drag strip holding lane as your marker, you come screaming over the marker, down shift 3 gears and lean it over hard and start the long decreasing radius turn 9. Third gear is sometimes the answer as it seems smoother, it depends on the drag race out of the turn that you might have with your competitor. Turn 9 can be a place to rest, you are hanging off, dragging your knees and anything else you want to, the exit here is extremely important, the proper exit means a proper entrance into 10 or the bus stop and this means 10 or so miles per hour of straightaway speed! You pick your way through slower riders in this turn as faster riders blow by you. Now comes the bus stop. Hard into it, looking for the exact entrance and exit, with six or seven bikes coming in with you from six or seven different angles! You stay the course, the key is going in deeper then everyone else, you have to make your turn spot first or elect to follow. At the last possible second you down shift to second, You hit your spot and on the exit you drag the rear brake to control the wheel spin and it starts all over again. Of course depending on how wet or dry it is and how the tires are working you adjust. And on the 12 you need to adjust more! Hence the three different tire set-ups! Oh buy the way , when we run the same track on the SV650, there is no gritting of the teeth, God doesn't appear as you enter turn 1 and frankly you spend every lap laughing, attacking every corner and having a riot.
  Ignore this member   
swft


Needs a life
Full throttle!
Posts: One MEEEEEELLION
posted December 21, 2002 09:07 PM        
Well spoken! I could not have described Pacific Raceway better myself! It really is a holdover from the "bad old days" of motorcycle roadracing, in that the track can kill you if you do something stupid. But I really like it, and respect it, and manage to have a lot of fun on it. And one more thing, Zhooligan...That's gotta be a record length post for you! Well done, well typed, and a good read!
  Ignore this member   
ZHooligan


Moderator
Post Whore Extraordinaire!
Posts: 3829
posted December 21, 2002 09:45 PM        
You obviously have not read a number of my posts.
  Ignore this member   
beansbaxter


Needs a life
Posts: 5911
posted December 22, 2002 12:54 AM        
I've been reading them....and their good too...their not any posts off the street.
  Ignore this member    Click here to visit beansbaxter's homepage. 
swft


Needs a life
Full throttle!
Posts: One MEEEEEELLION
posted December 22, 2002 06:15 AM        
Is that an allegory? Perhaps insinuating PW?
  Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX12R ZONE.com > Thread: Ferodo Full Float Rear Rotor NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed


Copyright 2000-2026 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.27776908874512 seconds processing time