HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX12R ZONE.com > Thread: Timing Advance NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
rossi


Novice Class
Posts: 77
posted July 19, 2008 09:49 AM        
Timing Advance

How exactly do you advance the timing on our bikes ? In the mapping or another way?
Never had to do it till now.

  Ignore this member   
ZXLNT


Needs a job
Kawpuke Extraordinare
Posts: 2853
posted July 19, 2008 10:59 PM        
The cheap and easy way is to slot the pick up coil mounting holes. The other way is to buy a power commander with timing adjustment capability in it..
  Ignore this member   
Rossi


Novice Class
Posts: 77
posted July 21, 2008 04:05 AM        
I have the PC3 with the adjustmant I think. Do you just have to go under the igition table and
Put everything as a 2 ??? In order to bump up a couple degree's ?

  Ignore this member   
zrexpilot


Expert Class
Posts: 470
posted July 21, 2008 05:41 AM        Edited By: zrexpilot on 21 Jul 2008 06:44
what year bike, if you have the pc3 yes, go to ignition table and put in 4 or 5 dg advance and push send. With the bike running change the timing in two squares right around idle back it down to minus 3 dg push insert on your laptop and see if you can hear the bike make a change, if you can hear the bike idle different then its working. Go ahead and change those numbers back to match the rest of you quadrants, push insert.
I suggest 4 to 5 dg advance. The easiest way is to highlight the whole quadrants with the mouse and then push page up or down on the laptop and timing numbers will change accordingly, you can push send or push insert on the laptop to send.

  Ignore this member   
Rossi


Novice Class
Posts: 77
posted July 21, 2008 11:31 AM        
Ya I just tried and put it at 2 and I could notice a difference already but you say it should be at 4 or 5 ? I will try that tonight. Will this make the bike more lean ? I looked at my pipe and it looked like it was a little more gray after I moved it to 2 degrees. If so then I will need to adjust the fuel table. Still have'nt figured out a good map for it yet. I down loaded the one off PC website and have made small adjustments to it. I'm just trying to get the front wheel up in the air easier !
  Ignore this member   
KZScott


Needs a life
high on speed
Posts: 7235
posted July 21, 2008 01:24 PM        
i use 3 degrees, i dont want to push it on pump gas
____________
01 ZX-12R 8.84 @ 156.3 no bars, DOT tires. Pump Gas, NA.... turbo 8.47 @ 164.
00 ZX-12R 8.62 @ 165.2 no bars, slicks, Pump Gas, 55 shot.... turbo 8.32 @173
00 ZX-12R Fastest NA Kawasaki in the world 1: 222.046 1.5: 226.390 Loring AFB
00 ZX-12R street turbo 1: 227.9 1.5: 234.1 Loring AFB
00 ZX-12R LSR turbo 1: 263.1 1.5: 266.5 Loring AFB Worlds fastest ZX-12R
CMG Racing RCC Turbos

  Ignore this member   
NOX


Needs a job
PMRA / TMRC Super Street 4022
Posts: 3745
posted July 21, 2008 04:03 PM        
Call Brock.

you would not believe what I run in my bike........
____________
42 Wins
21 Runner-ups
2010 TMRC Super Street Points Champion
2010 PMRA Super Street #3 Points
2009 PMRA Super Street Points Runner-Up
6 Time Centerville Dragway Points Champion
Sponsored by:
Scorpion Helmets
Galfer Braking
AMSOIL
Steve's Speed Shop
Kawasaki Sports Center
Mickey Thompson Tires
Catalyst Racing Composites
Conway Cycle
Syed Leathers

  Ignore this member   
zx12dak


Expert Class
Posts: 103
posted July 23, 2008 04:50 PM        
I run +5 deg in the ECU by Ridge Racer. Haven't dynoed it since the ECU mod but the bike gets better fuel economy with the advance. I even use 89 oct with it.

What are you running NOX???

  Ignore this member   
KZScott


Needs a life
high on speed
Posts: 7235
posted July 23, 2008 06:02 PM        
im running 87, but will use 91 when i try nitrous :P and retarded timing
____________
01 ZX-12R 8.84 @ 156.3 no bars, DOT tires. Pump Gas, NA.... turbo 8.47 @ 164.
00 ZX-12R 8.62 @ 165.2 no bars, slicks, Pump Gas, 55 shot.... turbo 8.32 @173
00 ZX-12R Fastest NA Kawasaki in the world 1: 222.046 1.5: 226.390 Loring AFB
00 ZX-12R street turbo 1: 227.9 1.5: 234.1 Loring AFB
00 ZX-12R LSR turbo 1: 263.1 1.5: 266.5 Loring AFB Worlds fastest ZX-12R
CMG Racing RCC Turbos

  Ignore this member   
supra5677


Pro
Posts: 1279
posted July 25, 2008 07:13 AM        
Running 5 degrees of ignition advance via RR ecu. Also running 89 octane gas.
  Ignore this member     
rossi


Novice Class
Posts: 77
posted July 25, 2008 06:59 PM        
I'm running 3dgs. right now with 93 octane on the fuel. I have'nt thought about going up to 5 yet. What does that affect on the bike the higher you go??? When I put in the new map and bumped up to 3 dgs. from 0 I noticed I could do wheelies a whole lot easier. Happy with that.
  Ignore this member   
jacktornese


Parking Attendant
Posts: 6
posted August 20, 2008 01:57 PM        
i'm running 5dgs...and lost 2hp on dyno... but the rpm's gaining seems me more quickly!
(First test ride i was focused on the engine and opening..i get the limiter in a flash! And this surprise me!)
Also the wheelies seems more easy...
I put always 100 octane (i'm in Italy).

  Ignore this member   
Dane


Expert Class
Posts: 235
posted August 20, 2008 02:17 PM        Edited By: Dane on 20 Aug 2008 15:18
Welcome Jack.........lots of good info. on this site.
  Ignore this member   
NOX


Needs a job
PMRA / TMRC Super Street 4022
Posts: 3745
posted August 20, 2008 03:30 PM        
zx12s like timing.........

to do it right, you need a PCIIIR

I vary my timing at different RPMs.
____________
42 Wins
21 Runner-ups
2010 TMRC Super Street Points Champion
2010 PMRA Super Street #3 Points
2009 PMRA Super Street Points Runner-Up
6 Time Centerville Dragway Points Champion
Sponsored by:
Scorpion Helmets
Galfer Braking
AMSOIL
Steve's Speed Shop
Kawasaki Sports Center
Mickey Thompson Tires
Catalyst Racing Composites
Conway Cycle
Syed Leathers

  Ignore this member   
psycho1122


Pro
Posts: 1608
posted August 21, 2008 06:30 AM        
quote:
i'm running 5dgs...and lost 2hp on dyno... but the rpm's gaining seems me more quickly!
(First test ride i was focused on the engine and opening..i get the limiter in a flash! And this surprise me!)
Also the wheelies seems more easy...
I put always 100 octane (i'm in Italy).



Add some fuel to the curve and see what happens!!
____________
You say PSYCHO like it's a BAD thing!!

  Ignore this member   
lietoome


Needs a job
Posts: 2033
posted August 21, 2008 10:24 AM        

I used the Muzzy (static) ignition advancer set at +5 degrees.

  Ignore this member   
TRNorBRN6001


Needs a job
Posts: 2021
posted August 21, 2008 12:28 PM        
Get a hold of Sal, "THE ICE MAN". timing and rev limit extend.
____________
TFA 200MPH CLUB MEMBER!

  Ignore this member   
jacktornese


Parking Attendant
Posts: 6
posted August 22, 2008 02:30 AM        
quote:
quote:
i'm running 5dgs...and lost 2hp on dyno... but the rpm's gaining seems me more quickly!
(First test ride i was focused on the engine and opening..i get the limiter in a flash! And this surprise me!)
Also the wheelies seems more easy...
I put always 100 octane (i'm in Italy).



Add some fuel to the curve and see what happens!!


What means? Its sound like a sweet surprise...

Could you explain me better? Thks in adv...!!

  Ignore this member   
rossi


Novice Class
Posts: 77
posted August 28, 2008 07:09 AM        
So, it sounds like 5 is the way to go. I set mine up on my PC3 at 0 for everything up to 2,000 RPM, for the start up. Then I set everything above 2g's @ +3. Seems to be working ok but not sure if its what I want. I don't drag race to much but I do ride the hell out of it on the street. Anybody else that ride's there's hard and has any suggestions about anything just let me know.
  Ignore this member   
ninja12


Needs a job
Posts: 3310
posted August 28, 2008 07:26 AM        
quote:
Call Brock.

you would not believe what I run in my bike........


give us a hint.

  Ignore this member   
rossi


Novice Class
Posts: 77
posted August 28, 2008 09:53 AM        
I'm guessing Brock is running +12, but I think I may try +5. Don't need to go that high for street.
  Ignore this member   
Nox


Needs a job
PMRA / TMRC Super Street 4022
Posts: 3745
posted September 02, 2008 02:52 PM        
Yeah, try that plus 12 and see what happens............

Can I have your leftover parts when you are done?
____________
42 Wins
21 Runner-ups
2010 TMRC Super Street Points Champion
2010 PMRA Super Street #3 Points
2009 PMRA Super Street Points Runner-Up
6 Time Centerville Dragway Points Champion
Sponsored by:
Scorpion Helmets
Galfer Braking
AMSOIL
Steve's Speed Shop
Kawasaki Sports Center
Mickey Thompson Tires
Catalyst Racing Composites
Conway Cycle
Syed Leathers

  Ignore this member   
rossi


Novice Class
Posts: 77
posted September 03, 2008 10:08 AM        
I may try the +5 on my 98 Octane to see if there is much difference but I dont plan on going any higher. Everything on my engine is stock and I don't drag all the time, so I don't need to go any higher.
  Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX12R ZONE.com > Thread: Timing Advance NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed


Copyright 2000-2026 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.22289299964905 seconds processing time