Concourse 14 / GTR1400
  HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > CONCOURS14.com > Thread: best way to rig a kill switch tether to C14? NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
markymark


Parking Attendant
Posts: 13
posted January 21, 2009 06:46 AM        
best way to rig a kill switch tether to C14?

Guys,

I'm thinking about running some 1/4-mile passes at the local track on my Connie. If I do this, I'll need to have a safety tether that ties me to the kill switch. Any suggestions how I can do this with minimum alteration to the bike?

It's somewhat frivolous since the C14 has a "down bike" sensor that kills the motor, but rules are rules, and the track guys aren't amused by arguments about why XYZ shouldn't apply. The idea is simple: if I come off the bike, the lanyard pull kills the motor.

Thanks in advance,

Marky Mark
____________
Marky Mark
Tucson, AZ

GS400 --> GpZ550 --> CB700S --> Concours14

  Ignore this member   
jailcop


Novice Class
Posts: 100
posted January 21, 2009 02:32 PM        
Here's a good way to cheat an install. I would run my ZZR1200 once in awhile and what I would do was make a sort of fake tether. Get a regular tether and on the end that attaches to the kill switch (metal circle that screw goes through). You take a screw and cut the shank off leaving just the head. Then using super glue you glue the screw head to the end of the tether. Then on the day you go to the track, just take something like Elmer's glue and glue the tether with the fake screw head to the kill switch. I looks real and so long as the tech inspector doesn't pull on it real hard it will stay. Then when you get home just pop it off, clean the leftover glue off the kill switch and it looks new again. P.S. This of course won't do shit for you in the event of a crash or if you fall off the back of the bike so be careful. I just did this so I wouldn't fuck up my kill switch.
____________
That, That Does Not Kill Me Can Only Make Me Stronger

  Ignore this member   
oncourse


Expert Class
I hate flies!!!
Posts: 467
posted January 21, 2009 06:25 PM        
It would probably be easy to put a 2 pin female plug into the housing in series with the kill switch, and have a dummy plug for everday riding. However they should be gold plated as water could interfere....

JC, I would love to go against you in the 1/4, never did a drag in my life, but it could be fun :-)
____________
True intellegence is not measured by your degrees.

04 klr 250 Lots of mods and 70 MPG!!
08 Connie 2 bros. Carbon. Helibars. Flies out, PC3!!!
2003 kx 500 SOLD
2004 KX 500 In service now, whata BEAST!

  Ignore this member   
jailcop


Novice Class
Posts: 100
posted January 21, 2009 07:07 PM        
Not The C-14

quote:
It would probably be easy to put a 2 pin female plug into the housing in series with the kill switch, and have a dummy plug for everday riding. However they should be gold plated as water could interfere....

JC, I would love to go against you in the 1/4, never did a drag in my life, but it could be fun :-)


I won't be running the C-14, It might be fun but it's really not made for that sort of thing. My ZZR was fun, and my friends (I ran it more than he did) was better. It was a 2004 GSXR-750, dropped 2 inches, 6"extension on the swing arm and had and air shifter hooked to the horn button. WOW that bike was fun.
____________
That, That Does Not Kill Me Can Only Make Me Stronger

  Ignore this member   
Silver Hawk


Zone Head
addition to riding no rehab4me
Posts: 725
posted January 22, 2009 12:05 AM        
oh god not the c-14 racer.....u not going to make to 3rd gear it is going to slip into neutral.
____________
2008 Concours ABS 23k miles in a yr Sold
2009 R1 16k miles in a yr Sold
2005 Honda Goldwing..6k miles in 2 months ..Sold
2012 Concours ABS 5k in 1 month..Sold
2011 ZX 10r 2k in 1 month...Sold..
2012 ZX 10R ABS black and red 144 miles as of 4-23-2013 sold.
2013 F6B deluxe sold
Back to the 2012 Connie present
2014 Green and Black ZX14r ..Beast mode!! present.

  Ignore this member    Click here to visit Silver Hawk's homepage. 
2000redrocket


Pro
Posts: 1662
posted February 02, 2009 07:21 PM        
motorcycles 11.00 or slower do not need to have a ig cutoff. a stock connie may get close to 11.00 or under but to mess around. i say take the nhra rule book page 114 electrical 8 .the tech guys love throwing the rule book at them. we went through that about front straps.
  Ignore this member   
oncourse


Expert Class
I hate flies!!!
Posts: 467
posted February 04, 2009 04:13 PM        
Well somewheres I saw where one did a 10.5, I mean I know it is heavy, but bags off, full system, flies out pcIII, a light guy who is GOOD I think the bike could suprise some people.

Reguards,
Rob
____________
True intellegence is not measured by your degrees.

04 klr 250 Lots of mods and 70 MPG!!
08 Connie 2 bros. Carbon. Helibars. Flies out, PC3!!!
2003 kx 500 SOLD
2004 KX 500 In service now, whata BEAST!

  Ignore this member   
2000redrocket


Pro
Posts: 1662
posted February 04, 2009 04:28 PM        
i am not saying 10.5 is not doable. just for now he does not need to worry about a kill switch
according to the nhra rule book. they are a good idea but to go for your first time. just go take a proper snell helmet shoes, leather jacket and jeather gloves and have fun...

  Ignore this member   
oncourse


Expert Class
I hate flies!!!
Posts: 467
posted February 04, 2009 04:44 PM        
So you can sandbag? Then rip one off LoL! I just do not know what "determines" 11 sec bike, how do they determine it? I would like to go do a strip and see what I could do, just for the fun of it...

Cheers,
Rob
____________
True intellegence is not measured by your degrees.

04 klr 250 Lots of mods and 70 MPG!!
08 Connie 2 bros. Carbon. Helibars. Flies out, PC3!!!
2003 kx 500 SOLD
2004 KX 500 In service now, whata BEAST!

  Ignore this member   
2000redrocket


Pro
Posts: 1662
posted February 05, 2009 04:51 AM        Edited By: 2000redrocket on 5 Feb 2009 13:02
sept 21 08 when the iconz group had maple grove again we all went from my area which was only tshults and i .his brother races thier dads c14 no bags. it ran a 11.4xxx. he knows what he is doing. was not pushing the bikereal hard but trying to get a good time non the less. and weighs less than me (in shorts 147) i bet there may be 11.00 in the cards stock but i would go there to have fun first not expecting to get a 9 or 10. people who go the first time and have a mag number in thier head usually pull out going dam it looks longer than i thought it would.remember it weighs almost 700lb with bags (the scale at work is to the 20lb so it could be 680) go to have fun. then the last run stand. on it and try to blast out of the 11.00s guys do it at maplegrove all the time. i am thinking with pipe and pctune 10.8s with out killing it is doable.
can u pick up 20hp with pipe and tune??? what you guys getting before and after?

what determind a 11 sec bike.
well when i get to the tech line and they go over it they ask what it will run. if you say 9s you better have a licence. u say 10s and they see you dip into the 9s they may ask you to slow down a bit or flag u allthgether.most do not slow down so they usually flag you to the trailer.
in tech when they ask say i do not know mid 11s i think. if they say anything about kill switch tell them what i said about the nhra rule book. if they do not believe u say go get it. i got that from the 08 book but something like that should not change. when i get a 09 i will check it.if they have a track policy fine not much to do about but asy where you can get thier seperat rules.
as far as rigging up a kill i use the kick stand switch on all my bikes but the 12 sofar. if it has 2 wires to the stand switch just brake 1 of them and run it to your switch. ols zx11 i did that and used a 1/4 mic jack and plug from radioshack mounted in the body work. if u do this make two plugs for when 1 goes bad and keep it on the bike.

  Ignore this member   
oncourse


Expert Class
I hate flies!!!
Posts: 467
posted February 06, 2009 03:24 AM        
Thats a lot of info! Thanks! There are decent gains to be had with the flies out pcIII and slip on 10-15 hp more but a lot more hp and torque in the 3-6k range. I just love how it makes the engine respond over stock. Hopefully one day I'll have a real full system....

You can look at dyno runs at fuel moto usa web site, they have stock vs. mods on there with graphs.

Thanks again,
Rob
____________
True intellegence is not measured by your degrees.

04 klr 250 Lots of mods and 70 MPG!!
08 Connie 2 bros. Carbon. Helibars. Flies out, PC3!!!
2003 kx 500 SOLD
2004 KX 500 In service now, whata BEAST!

  Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
BIKELAND > FORUMS > CONCOURS14.com > Thread: best way to rig a kill switch tether to C14? NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed


Copyright 2000-2026 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.33775591850281 seconds processing time