Concourse 14 / GTR1400
  HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > CONCOURS14.com > Thread: Oil Leak at Rear Drive NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
bikelee


Novice Class
Posts: 54
posted August 06, 2007 05:43 AM        
Oil Leak at Rear Drive

There appears to be some kind of oil leak at the rear drive. I noticed this when i was cleaning my Concours yesterday. It is coming from an area near the drain plug on the pumpkin and where the drive shaft enters the trans at the u-joint. The bike only has 500 miles on it. I guess it's off to the dealer. Needless to say I'm a little disappointed. WTF. Anybody else ? Better have close look before you take that long trip. Lee

  Ignore this member   
TedG


Moderator
Posts: 8222
posted August 06, 2007 07:08 AM        
I thought I had one, but it was nothing more than some oil that had been spilled during assembly, because after I washed it off there was never any more.
  Ignore this member   
reynoldss


Expert Class
Posts: 207
posted August 06, 2007 09:20 AM        
quote:
I thought I had one, but it was nothing more than some oil that had been spilled during assembly, because after I washed it off there was never any more.



Same here! 1600 miles later bone dry.
____________
Everybodys tyring to go green, I did years ago.

  Ignore this member   
chez


Expert Class
Posts: 134
posted August 06, 2007 03:23 PM        
I thought I had a leak too but turned out the filler cap wasn't nipped up tight. The relief valve on the top of the shaft housing may weep if a high pressure is reached within the differential.
____________
Chez

  Ignore this member    Click here to send Chez an AIM message. 
wormgear


Expert Class
Posts: 339
posted August 06, 2007 04:11 PM        
bikelee,
I hope it just goes away for you too.

Hey can somebody tell me, from the owners manual, the spec and interval for the final drive, gear oil?
Thanks.

____________
GodDamnit there's always such a big temptation to be good, to be good! (Tom Waits)

  Ignore this member   
wgnorman


Parking Attendant
Posts: 6
posted August 07, 2007 01:53 AM        
quote:
There appears to be some kind of oil leak at the rear drive. I noticed this when i was cleaning my Concours yesterday. It is coming from an area near the drain plug on the pumpkin and where the drive shaft enters the trans at the u-joint. The bike only has 500 miles on it. I guess it's off to the dealer. Needless to say I'm a little disappointed. WTF. Anybody else ? Better have close look before you take that long trip. Lee


Was no big deal on mine - the Honda dealer that did my first service told me it was most likely just assembly - they really pack em with a lot of grease - mine has not leaked anything since they changed the rear drive oil and cleaned it up at the 600 mile service.
____________
Grant

  Ignore this member     
wgnorman


Parking Attendant
Posts: 6
posted August 07, 2007 02:00 AM        
quote:
bikelee,
I hope it just goes away for you too.

Hey can somebody tell me, from the owners manual, the spec and interval for the final drive, gear oil?
Thanks.



API-GL5
Hypoid Gear OIl
SAE 90 above 41 F
SAE80 below 41 F

At
600, 7,500, 15,000, 24,000, 30,000 miles
____________
Grant

  Ignore this member     
zx14_1965


Zone Head
Posts: 505
posted August 08, 2007 09:00 PM        
I've drained mine three times, first at 50 miles, 2nd at 150 miles and 3rd at 500 miles and I have 1200 miles on my Connie, getting ready to change again this weekend. Running Motul Hypoid synthetic.

quote:
bikelee,
I hope it just goes away for you too.

Hey can somebody tell me, from the owners manual, the spec and interval for the final drive, gear oil?
Thanks.


  Ignore this member   
tundra tom


Novice Class
Posts: 68
posted August 28, 2007 04:53 AM        
There is an excess of assembly Grease through out the Tetra-lever system. You will find it weeping at pivot points and from the shaft drive. Hey, it's better than a lack of lubrication that has been noted on splined shafts from other brands.
____________
"When my time has come, I prefer to be in the Saddle rather than the Recliner"

  Ignore this member   
AllStingNoBling


Expert Class
Posts: 128
posted August 28, 2007 11:34 AM        
quote:
There is an excess of assembly Grease through out the Tetra-lever system. You will find it weeping at pivot points and from the shaft drive. Hey, it's better than a lack of lubrication that has been noted on splined shafts from other brands.


I had the same thing: excess of assembly grease, and I feel the same way: better a little more, than not enough.

  Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
BIKELAND > FORUMS > CONCOURS14.com > Thread: Oil Leak at Rear Drive NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed


Copyright 2000-2026 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.22401595115662 seconds processing time