posted July 30, 2007 02:47 PM
Quieter helmet or confessions of a dumb s__t So I get this new bike and the first thing I notice is how much I love the quiet. OK so my helmet an Arai RX7 Corsair seems a bit loud. So I went to the internet to search out a quiet helmet. Finding a few articles on the new Arai Profile and them saying it is a very quiet helmet. OK, now off to Laguna for the GP, I figure I can get a good deal on one, I stop by the Arai tent and after I tell them what I want and that I want quiet, they fit me with a medium Profile. It seems tight but OK, so I want the Wraithen, they haven't one, so I figure I will order one. Well I got home and found that the local Honda shop has the best prices I have ever seen on Arai helmets. So I order one there. $485 OTD. I then get it 2 days later and try it out.
The thing has much more wind noise than the Corsair. WTF?? And to top that off, after 45 minutes my head is aching. It is too tight and needs a lot more break in. DAMN. Anyway I did a stand up test and in the wind, the Profile is much quieter, but behind the windshield, their is turbulence that just makes a ton of noise. Oh well, another $485 down for no particular reason. I guess I will continue breaking it in and hopefully it will be a good cool weather helmet, because it doesn't have the stay cool lining like the Corsair.
posted July 30, 2007 09:20 PM
Bummer....yea, I hate the whole helmet review thing....many guys I ride with love the flip up feature of the Nolans...it took me about 2 years to get rid of the pinch on my temple. I went to a cheapie Scorpion EXO and it was immediately comfortable and half the noise of the flip up. Buy, been eyein' the graphix on the Suomy but hate to drop 7 bills if I cannot take a good long test ride.
posted July 31, 2007 09:14 AM
I feel the same way, I like the Suomy(I hate their logo, it looks cheap). But I can't get myself to buy one and find it doesn't fit me well, Did that with a Shoei, I hate the things now.
Needs a life
Full throttle!
Posts: One MEEEEEELLION
posted July 31, 2007 10:26 AM
I honestly was/am looking for a bluetooth helmet. BUT...it's something I want to try before I by. Both for fit and for function.
____________
82 Gpz750, 84 Ninja 900, 2000 ZX12R (Muzzy Big Bore Kit), *another* 2000 ZX12R (Muzzy custom stroke crank 1341cc motor), 2004 ZZR1200, 2005 ZX10R, 2007 ZX14, 2008 Concours 14, 2014 Versys 650, 2014 Yamaha WR450F, 2015 Ninja H2
posted July 31, 2007 12:38 PM
There has to be some good retrofit bluetooth solution that is worth a shit. I would much rather get the perfect helmet and then fit the electronics in it.
I wore the Profile into work today, and for the 1/2 hour commute it was not too bad.
posted July 31, 2007 04:01 PM
I have a Suomy along with a few Arai's, AGV and others. The Suomy is by far the quietest. It is also the lightest. I think you would really like one Ted............
Did you try some ear plugs? ____________
I'd Rather Be Roadracing.
quote:I have a Suomy along with a few Arai's, AGV and others. The Suomy is by far the quietest. It is also the lightest. I think you would really like one Ted............
Did you try some ear plugs?
Hmmmm I may have to look at the Suomy long and hard. Earplugs, I would kill if my ear canals were big enough for plugs. I have thought of some custom ones, but it would be cool now that I have a bike that isn't shrieking at me to put some speakers in the helmet and listen to music.
____________
Ted
2000 Green ZX12 sold
The fast color!!
Green 2005 ZX10R
2009 Concours Black ABS
posted July 31, 2007 06:52 PM
Edited By: warbird on 31 Jul 2007 20:01
Here ya go Ted. For your 10 ( the faster green color )..........The Spec1R "Dragon" model at the bottom left is badass.............. Click on the "solids" tab and check out the Magnum Silver and the Anthracite possibly for the C14..................
posted July 31, 2007 07:55 PM
Warbird, an Arai helmet fits me perfectly, So how does an
Arai fit you? If perfect, how does the Suomy fit?
____________
Ted
2000 Green ZX12 sold
The fast color!!
Green 2005 ZX10R
2009 Concours Black ABS
posted August 01, 2007 11:12 AM
swft, u've taken a look at the Nolan's offerings i assume? they're the only bluetooth helmet i've seen so far (not that i've looked recently)
posted August 01, 2007 03:42 PM
Ted.............the Arai helmet fits me perfectly also. Nothing has ever fit me better. The Suomy is comfortable, but on me it seems the chin bar is a little close, a little "closed in feeling" if you will. It is very quiet, and very light, making it comfortable on the ole' neck after a long days sportbike ride. It has a nice interior, and Suomy offers lots of accessories for their helmets. Those can be found in the link above. I found that they are sized a little small, I wear an XL in my Quantums and RX7, but an XXL in the Suomy. I don't have a big head..........7 3/8 to 7 1/2 hat size, so XXL sounds a little strange to me.................. ____________
I'd Rather Be Roadracing.
posted August 26, 2007 07:36 PM
Ya sure, if you can manage to catch all the parts that rattle off and break loose on them -- and then somehow mange to get replacement parts within a decade. Had a Shark RSR...big bucks and a big POS too...
____________
FYYFF!!!
quote:Ya sure, if you can manage to catch all the parts that rattle off and break loose on them -- and then somehow mange to get replacement parts within a decade. Had a Shark RSR...big bucks and a big POS too...
posted August 27, 2007 07:49 PM
Edited By: stevewfl on 27 Aug 2007 20:53
TedG, Dainese makes a blue tooth helmet, I've no experience with it.
____________
2010 Concours14
'08 R1 YAMAHA
ZX14 gone!
CBR600RR track bike
posted August 27, 2007 09:09 PM
Thanks Steve,
The problem with all those helmets is not only finding a good bluetooth but more importantly a good helmet. I find it hard to buy anything but an Arai. Everytime I buy anything else, I just hate it.
Anyway the shield changing system on the Arai is awesome.
I was able to buy a 7mm comfort lining for the new Arai and it fits very well aside from a bit too much cheek squeeze.
So i need to come up with a good setup for the bluetooth that I can install into an Arai.
____________
Ted
2000 Green ZX12 sold
The fast color!!
Green 2005 ZX10R
2009 Concours Black ABS