HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX10R ZONE.com > Thread: Question about sprocket change on an 05 NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
jredone


Novice Class
Posts: 75
posted September 27, 2007 10:02 AM        
Question about sprocket change on an 05

Thinkin about either going one or two down in the front or up to a 42 or a 43 in the back....Any suggestions? I don' t want to completely kill my top
____________
If you feel in control...u just aint goin fast enough
JoE ReD
S.I.N.Y

  Ignore this member   
salsa1


Needs a life
Posts: 5971
posted September 27, 2007 01:00 PM        
Divide rear 39 by 43 you get 0.90697 multiply that by 198 ; the theoretical top speed in 6th at 13,000 rpm and you get 179.58 mph in top gear.

If 179.58 is ok then go with 43 rear tooth sprocket.

can do same math process for any sprocket change.. rear or front...
____________
Salsa1

  Ignore this member   
jredone


Novice Class
Posts: 75
posted October 05, 2007 09:40 PM        
Has anyone done any sprocket changes on their 10s?...I'd like to get some opinions before making a purchase
____________
If you feel in control...u just aint goin fast enough
JoE ReD
S.I.N.Y

  Ignore this member   
fastestbusaaround


Needs a life
I eat Fish...
Posts: 7889
posted October 08, 2007 03:22 PM        
I did a front on my 05-- down one. What a monster she became...damn...just watch those roll on's in 1st and 2nd...it comes up real fast, even when you don't want it to. Top speed wasn't reduced by much, but it sure got there quicker.
____________
FYYFF!!!

  Ignore this member    Click here to visit FastestBusaAround's homepage. 
cyemm


Parking Attendant
Posts: 8
posted October 09, 2007 04:45 AM        
I went to a 42 rear, stock front...

on my 04.

Wow. Still gets up to an indicated 189mph(with speedo error, both inherent and additive from the gearing change, of course) but that's plenty fast. Stock, it'd read 184-185 topped out.

First gear - a crack at any speed over 30-40 mph results in a BIG wheelie. Can hold it until you run out of gear. In second, dip and crack the gas about 7000 and up comes the front, not violent, about like what it'd do in first stock. P.S., I weigh 220lbs and I don't need to weight shift at all.

Running at high speeds, you gotta be careful on the gas hard as any little rise/ripple will tend to pick up the front, even at 150-160! Still have to occasionally pull vinyl out of my crack.

Frankly, I really like it. I went up on the rear because I don't like the idea of tighter chain wrap and potential swingarm rub, plus, pulling the front sprocket can be truly tough if you don't have air tools. Might need a new chain, though.

Lastly, consider a steel sprocket. I'm chewing through aluminum ones at a rapid pace.

  Ignore this member     
All times are America/Va < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX10R ZONE.com > Thread: Question about sprocket change on an 05 NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed


Copyright 2000-2026 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.20846796035767 seconds processing time