KZScott

Needs a life
high on speed
Posts: 7235
|
posted June 22, 2011 07:08 PM
crank work
can a modification like this be done to the oil holes with a dremmel (sanding drum) if its done very very carefully so that its even or will it need to be heat treated after?

and oem
____________
01 ZX-12R 8.84 @ 156.3 no bars, DOT tires. Pump Gas, NA.... turbo 8.47 @ 164.
00 ZX-12R 8.62 @ 165.2 no bars, slicks, Pump Gas, 55 shot.... turbo 8.32 @173
00 ZX-12R Fastest NA Kawasaki in the world 1: 222.046 1.5: 226.390 Loring AFB
00 ZX-12R street turbo 1: 227.9 1.5: 234.1 Loring AFB
00 ZX-12R LSR turbo 1: 263.1 1.5: 266.5 Loring AFB Worlds fastest ZX-12R
CMG Racing RCC Turbos
|
chavcat
Zone Head
Posts: 524
|
posted June 23, 2011 03:55 AM
I would suspect would need to be heat treated Scott.
|
tcchin
Zone Head
Posts: 867
|
posted June 23, 2011 07:51 AM
If you have a way of controlling the heat buildup, like using a stream of cutting fluid, then you should be fine.
|
ZRXDean

Needs a job
Posts: 2225
|
posted June 24, 2011 11:02 AM
I bet you'd need a lot of bits, that thing is HARD.
|
dougmeyer

Needs a job
moderated
Posts: 2713
|
posted July 12, 2011 09:40 PM
Edited By: dougmeyer on 13 Jul 2011 05:41
Scott,
What you want to do is grind in a small streamlined notch (like the one in my photo) on the main journals that feed the rods. This is a pic of Brenda's crank. The "point" of the notch points in the direction of rotation and functions to increase the amount of time that the oil can flow into the hole from the bearing feed hole as the crank rotates past it.
You need a high speed grinder, a small carbide burr and a steady hand. Practice on an old crank. It's really pretty simple and very effective.
____________
It's not that I think you're dumb, it's just that so much of what you know isn't true....
|
tcchin
Zone Head
Posts: 867
|
posted July 13, 2011 10:10 AM
Aren't the bearing shells for those journals (p/n 92139A and 92028C) already grooved for this reason? Can you elaborate on the reason for orienting the notch as you have described?
|
dougmeyer

Needs a job
moderated
Posts: 2713
|
posted July 13, 2011 06:56 PM
Edited By: dougmeyer on 14 Jul 2011 02:58
Yes they are, mains 2 and 4 are grooved. I could have described that much better had I said what I meant.. I meant the amount of flow.
I didn't come up with this one. Back in '98 and '99 when we were racing the turbo ZRX and Steve Rice was running his turbo alcohol funnybike, we had a lot of discussions about ZX-11 oiling. He did this and said he had noticeably better looking bearings with this trick. The idea is that the slot works like a small lead-in scoop to the hole for the oil, thereby increasing the flow. A section view from the side would look a little like a NACA duct. I did it on all my cranks thereafter. I've never lost a rod bearing and I can't remember him loosing one either. This may have helped, who knows? Just one of those things I always did after that.
____________
It's not that I think you're dumb, it's just that so much of what you know isn't true....
|
tcchin
Zone Head
Posts: 867
|
posted July 13, 2011 10:28 PM
Do you know if there were any tests done with notches ground on both sides of the oil hole? Maybe a trailing-edge fairing would provide similar hydrodynamic benefits as did the leading-edge fairing...
|
SteddyTeddy
Pro
Posts: 1664
|
posted July 14, 2011 09:32 AM
APE does this with any crank work they do. Very easy to do with a small die grinder and stone bits.
|
dougmeyer

Needs a job
moderated
Posts: 2713
|
posted July 14, 2011 11:58 AM
Tim, I don't. But it would seem to me that if the original premise is correct,then a trailing notch would defeat the purpose and eliminate the benefit, if any.
____________
It's not that I think you're dumb, it's just that so much of what you know isn't true....
|
almost_les
Zone Head
Posts: 590
|
posted July 14, 2011 12:45 PM
how about leading notch on mains and trailing on rod journals?
|
tcchin
Zone Head
Posts: 867
|
posted July 14, 2011 04:15 PM
Edited By: tcchin on 15 Jul 2011 00:16
You mean like this? 
Reference: http://forums.nicoclub.com/oil-chamfering-t534354.html
|
dougmeyer

Needs a job
moderated
Posts: 2713
|
posted July 14, 2011 04:59 PM
Not so sure I understand the rationale for the rod journal notch, but it can't hurt.
____________
It's not that I think you're dumb, it's just that so much of what you know isn't true....
|
KZScott

Needs a life
high on speed
Posts: 7235
|
posted July 14, 2011 05:27 PM
thanks guys, i might try this on my retired 4mm crank and see how i do
____________
01 ZX-12R 8.84 @ 156.3 no bars, DOT tires. Pump Gas, NA.... turbo 8.47 @ 164.
00 ZX-12R 8.62 @ 165.2 no bars, slicks, Pump Gas, 55 shot.... turbo 8.32 @173
00 ZX-12R Fastest NA Kawasaki in the world 1: 222.046 1.5: 226.390 Loring AFB
00 ZX-12R street turbo 1: 227.9 1.5: 234.1 Loring AFB
00 ZX-12R LSR turbo 1: 263.1 1.5: 266.5 Loring AFB Worlds fastest ZX-12R
CMG Racing RCC Turbos
|
Ozonkiller
Expert Class
Posts: 350
|
posted July 21, 2011 06:59 PM
Use a carbide burr, not stones. The stones change dimensionally while the burrs are much harder. One carbide should do the job.
|
APE Jay

Novice Class
Posts: 59
|
posted July 26, 2011 02:25 PM
Edited By: APE Jay on 26 Jul 2011 22:26
We flute the rod journal oil holes simply to hold more oil at the bearing. All these newer cranks have oil holes twice the size as the older models which is done for that reason.
We see very few of those cranks we do, come back for repair.
http://aperaceparts.com/mailers/crankmail.html
____________
http://www.aperaceparts.com/
|
dougmeyer

Needs a job
moderated
Posts: 2713
|
posted July 26, 2011 06:57 PM
Thanks, Jay
____________
It's not that I think you're dumb, it's just that so much of what you know isn't true....
|
|
|