HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX12R ZONE.com > Thread: HELP!! Oil light didn't go out! NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
deathpulse


Pro
Posts: 1688
posted September 20, 2003 05:25 PM        
HELP!! Oil light didn't go out!

OK GUYS... I'm panicking. I just got a new Pit Bull rear stand for my bikes - and my first "job" for it was a new oil change on my 2000 '12. Well, I got my Motul 300v oil (15-50 - it was all the shop had) and a new oil filter and I proceeded to do the change. This was my fourth oil change, so I did it pretty quick. I tighened up the oil drain plug, PRE-FILLED MY OIL FILTER, and put in EXACTLY 2.8 liters of oil (I had a BIG 'ol shit eating grin on my face too, cause I could actually SEE how perfect the oil level was with the new rear stand). Then... feeling that all was right with the world, I started her up to check for leaks. Bike started right away and sounded GREAT, so I reved her up to 3~4K (just 2 quick blips) to hear the engine purr... BEFORE I NOTICED THAT THE OIL LIGHT WAS ON. HOLY SHIT - HOUSTON WE GOT A PROBLEM. I check out Bikland and zx-12r.org and noticed a few threads that indicated that this condition sometimes happens and may take up to 2 minutes for the light to go out... which it did on my bike. Here is my question.... DID I FUCK UP MY BABY?!?! I blipped her twice before the light went out! Was oil not circulating? It SOUNDS ok, but did I potentially damage some bearings? HELLLLP GUYS. I feel like I'm going to cry!

  Ignore this member   
necro


Needs a job
My Grandma Is A Virgin
Posts: 2148
posted September 20, 2003 05:52 PM        
I got mine on Thursday. Its first job was to, was to,......It's first job was to make the bike look mean with both tires off the ground.
____________
3829

  Ignore this member   
EastBayDave


Needs a job
Posts: 2245
posted September 20, 2003 06:36 PM        
does the light go out quick now? ...or was it just that one time?

Sounds to me like the pump took a while to get a "prime" going maybe?

I donno....if the light goes out quick now & you hear nothing, ride it. Not much you can do anywayz unless you wanna do an inspect & maybe a bottom-end bearing change.

Mine always goes out real quick, even after a change w/a pre-filled filter...
____________
Enjoy the ride!
02' ZRX1200
00' ZX12R sold

  Ignore this member   
deathpulse


Pro
Posts: 1688
posted September 20, 2003 06:48 PM        
this was the first time that it happened to me. I guess there is nothing I can do - but that is some scary shit. I hope she's ok .
  Ignore this member   
zx12richard


Pro
The Green Monster..
Posts: 1133
posted September 20, 2003 07:31 PM        
I always prefill my filter.... Takes a bit to soak into the filter before it pumps thru.... Fill you filter full the sit and watch it... It soaks in then you have to fill it again... I don't want it doing that while the motors running....
PREFILL...

  Ignore this member   
deathpulse


Pro
Posts: 1688
posted September 20, 2003 07:42 PM        
I DID prefill the filter, that is the strange thing. I also "dented" the oil filter a bit when trying to put the light out (I backed the filter out a bit to "burp" it). You guys think a small dent in the end of the filter will effect it?
  Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX12R ZONE.com > Thread: HELP!! Oil light didn\'t go out! NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed


Copyright 2000-2026 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.40969085693359 seconds processing time