k bryant

Needs a job
Sponsor
Posts: 2911
|
posted September 14, 2003 09:11 PM
David Emde - Ex-Racer Down
It was reported today that Dave Emde was killed in a Sportbike accident in San Diego County. Dave was a road racing star in the 70' & early 80's and his family is way deep in AMA racing and especially Daytona history.
Dave and I had a lot of great races together, whether we were riding TZ750's or Superbikes, but he was really one notch up on most of us. His real brillance though was when he rode a TZ250. Dave was a big guy and rode this tiny bike to the AMA Championship in '76 with speed and finesse that needed to be witnessed to be believed.
We stayed in touch from time to time after we stopped racing, and I talk to his Daytona winning brother (Don) frequently. I don't know how many of you on this site are racers or ex-racers, but this hits home. For some reason, riding Sportbikes at a reasonbly fast pace on the street, gives us a feeling of relief that we need. And yes, that "excitment." But, no matter how much I ride motocross or do track days, or ride Sportbikes, it's just not quite the same feeling as when we were Pros or when we were younger; and obviously it's not mean't to be. Speed is a relative thing. While it may seem fast, dangerous, and out-of-control to some people, as racers (or ex)we feel extremely safe and comfortable. And we still "need" it. Sometimes I can relate to what it must feel like to having an addiction. That's that way I feel about speed, being competitive, and winning. And it carries over to much more than motorcycles. It carries over to everything. You just need that "fix".
I don't know the details, but knowing Dave, I can imagine... But whether he was just putting around, or was dragging a knee, it's a devastating loss. When we got together at a local event or trade show, we'd always beat around the bush about our street riding exploits. In a way, I think we're both a little hesitant in admiting that we're going a little too fast in the mountains for our own good. You don't need to own a ZX12 to know about speed. It's relative. For us, it's how fast you go around a corner, slide the tires, brake hard, hit the perfect apex, drag your knee, etc. You feel invinceable, and obviously you're not... I don't condone this on the street, and like I said, speed is a relative thing. We try to keep the pace safe while knowing where and when to go fast and first and foremost, not putting another motorist in danger by doing anything "stupid".
So I'm rambling a little here, but I just wanted to put something down. What I'm saying is that I'll probably back it down a notch on the street. If anyone out here get's the message, it's that Dave was a genuine fast guy with the records to prove it. But the street caught up with him. Street riding is dangerous you guys. No sermon from me. Just keep the thought in your head, stay alert, and stay as safe as you can. God keep all you guys & your families safe. My heartfelt condolences to the Emde family.
|
frEEk

Administrator
ummm... yeah
Posts: 9660
|
posted September 15, 2003 01:48 AM
i'm sure it's not actually the case, but it seems like we're losin alot of people lately.
|
swft

Needs a life
Full throttle!
Posts: One MEEEEEELLION
|
posted September 15, 2003 05:40 AM
Always seems that way. First someone you know, then people you recognize. Makes you want to pull back and bit and think about what really matters, etc.
|
EastBayDave

Needs a job
Posts: 2245
|
posted September 15, 2003 06:13 AM
Although I met Dave several times, I didn't know Dave personally. I raced against Dave in the AFM during 750 class "Superstreet" races during the 1979'/80' AFM seasons. He was riding a GS750 Superbike at the time...
I'll never forget the awesome sight of him & arch rival (Nor-Cal rider) Daryl White going into turn one & two (Sears Point) side-by-side on the first lap, the two of them banging cases numerous times & leaving dual trails of rubber on the track- to see who would lead out of turn two.
They would do this at the start of EVERY race. I would finish a distant third as the two of them battling would pull right away f/me every single race. Typically Daryl would win or crash, & a smarter Dave would always finish...
At the time Dave was one of the top couple riders in the AFM; then he went National racing just like his dad Don Emde, Daytona 200 winner.
I won't forget that famous picture of Dave & Jimmy Felice at Laguna Sega, where they were both riding TZ250's in the National. Dave was sitting on the hay bales bordering the pits, & Jimmy was STANDING next to Dave, & they were about the same height! (Jimmy is really really short, but Dave was ~6'3"!) Dave always looked way way too big to ride a 250cc GP bike, but he was competitive anyway.
This is so sad; RIP Dave. You were one of the greatest riders of that era...
My condolences to you Kerry & everyone who knew him...
____________
Enjoy the ride!
02' ZRX1200
00' ZX12R sold
|
Hells Dark Lord

Needs a life
living life, and loving it.
Posts: 7981
|
posted September 15, 2003 11:20 AM
its always a shame to lose someone that was so influentioal in our sport....the only good thing I can see in this is that he died doing what he loved, and in doing so gave everyone of us a wake up call that may keep someone from making the same mistake. I am heading up to the DG run here in a few days, I will relay this to the guys up there. Maybe its just the thing we needed to keep this Gap run crash free....lets hope....my condolences to the Emde Family, and all of his friends.....RIP......
____________
When in doubt, lean farther and go faster....
|
necro

Needs a job
My Grandma Is A Virgin
Posts: 2148
|
posted September 15, 2003 07:59 PM
Sorry to hear that k bryant
____________
3829
|
|
|
|
|