WARBIRD

Needs a job
Posts: 2739
|
posted September 09, 2003 03:46 AM
fish or freek......................
Hey guys a question..............what is the difference between 100 mbps.........and 1.0 gbps..............
Thanks for any help.
____________
I'd Rather Be Roadracing.
|
WARBIRD

Needs a job
Posts: 2739
|
posted September 09, 2003 06:30 AM
bump....
____________
I'd Rather Be Roadracing.
|
WARBIRD

Needs a job
Posts: 2739
|
posted September 09, 2003 08:23 AM
bumpety bump bump...............
____________
I'd Rather Be Roadracing.
|
Tearinitup

Expert Class
VP Code Monkey
Posts: 298
|
posted September 09, 2003 09:16 AM
Edited By: Tearinitup on 9 Sep 2003 10:16
100mbps x 10 = 1gbps basically
|
WARBIRD

Needs a job
Posts: 2739
|
posted September 09, 2003 10:39 AM
Thank you............ My dsl connection speed says 1.0 gbps. I tested the throughspeed on 5 different sites and the average speed was 1259 kbps. Make any sense? Sure does surf fast.
____________
I'd Rather Be Roadracing.
|
frEEk

Administrator
ummm... yeah
Posts: 9660
|
posted September 09, 2003 11:49 AM
what tearinitup said. it's jsut liek highschool science math: G = billions, M = millions, k = thousands, m = thousandths (k = 1000, m = .001) etc etc. u registered 1.259Mbds, which is a good ways from 1Gbps but 1.2M is a good connection. u aint gonna benefit much from a faster connection unless ur downloading lardge files or really huge web pages. but even then, most servers wont serve that fast anyway. btw, most servers are only on 100Mbps switches anyway. pretty hard pressed to get most servers to work faster than that. there are 1Gpbs lines (they are getting more and more popular) but they are inevitably shared between several many servers, as in a few racks. bikeland is hosted on a server connected to a 100mbps switch which is further connected to a 1Gbps line shared by 4 full racks of servers plus a few on the floor (around 80 or so)? that's just one cage in the colo tho. there are several hundred more servers in teh facility. the facility itself has... i dotn even wanna think how many G's of connectivity they have comin in. it's a very well connected building.
|
WARBIRD

Needs a job
Posts: 2739
|
posted September 09, 2003 12:35 PM
I'm really happy with the way it is working. I have a Direcway satellite system at the shop and this dsl works a little faster. MUCH faster uploads.
Thanks for the info.
____________
I'd Rather Be Roadracing.
|
frEEk

Administrator
ummm... yeah
Posts: 9660
|
posted September 09, 2003 04:22 PM
yep. i believe most satellite systems use a phone line for upload, so it's pretty slow. course most cable systems had upload capped at a much lower speed than download too. but still close to 10x the speed of a phone line. i'm capped at a touch above 400kbps upload, which aint nothin to sneeze at mind u.
|
jonwright

Needs a job
Posts: 2416
|
posted September 09, 2003 04:26 PM
Not anymore from what I hear. Don't need a phone line.
|
|
|