HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX12R ZONE.com > Thread: Muzzys clutch/basket q? NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
EastBayDave


Needs a job
Posts: 2245
posted July 19, 2003 01:22 PM        
Muzzys clutch/basket q?

Well it's half installed. Had a hell of a time finding the right socket, finally a friend let me borrow one. Came out really easy, but man was it a bitch to get that hub lined up right on the crank & oil pump gears so the sleeve would slide into the hub bearing, but finally after some choice words & a lot of twisting & turning....@#$%*&#@$.....snick.....ahhhh....felt good.

Now, couple questions:

1) Got the plates soaking in oil; just a couple hours or overnight?

2) During re-assembly, I notice the manual says use a new nut? Uh oh. Now I need to order one (Tues.) & wait a week? Grrr...

3) The two "springs" (2 big round guys that go behind the clutch plates) are shown to be installed in a certain location one behind the other. However there is no difference shown in the manual between the two. Is there an "inny" & an "outie," or does it matter? I notice they are slightly different color but appear to be of the same basic shape...?

4) Torque spec on the nut is 100ft. lbs. Torque wrench only goes to 75ft. lbs. Impact gun does ~85ft. lbs (which is what I used.) Is it critical or not (I'm assuming yes?) Need to go buy another larger torque wrench? Or just assume the 85ft. lbs. is enough & ride?

With luck I should be riding by tomorrow, or maybe next week?

Thanks!

Dave
____________
Enjoy the ride!
02' ZRX1200
00' ZX12R sold

  Ignore this member   
your car is slow


Needs a job
Fuck Nitrous...Got Boost?
Posts: 4089
posted July 19, 2003 01:42 PM        
1. Only need to soak the fibers...the time is up to you...some soakem for a few hours..some overnight (im an overnighter now after frying a set).

2. I never used a new nut

3. Fuck those springs..leavem out...replace the skinny fiber with a regular one.

4. I used a larger impact gun to hammer it on. Some guys will get mad at this...but I beat the hell outta it and it hasnt broken yet


____________
Do not taunt happy fun ball!

  Ignore this member    Click here to send Your Car Is Slow an AIM message. 
kcadby


Pro
Posts: 1733
posted July 19, 2003 10:16 PM        
YCIS is right (for a change)
Just kiddin Dude...Bee-atch!!!

When needed (no time)...I only soak plates for minutes...they DO absorb some oil though...I've seen bubbles come out of the fibre...
Hours is better...over night is OK too...

Don't worry about the nut re-USE IT...


The springs ARE different...one is FLAT....the other isn't...
FLAT one goes in first so the second one doesn't eat into the hub...other one goes in so that the inner diameter goes against the first one you just installed and the outer diameter will touch the first steel clutch-plate that you instal (after the first...larger ID fibre of coarse)...
Sorry I couldn't think of a better way to word it right now...did it make sense???
Oh ya...I DON'T USE THEM...I use all wide fibre-s as does YCIS (and many others)...

I think your OK with the impact that you used...as long as it's not weak/old...

  Ignore this member    Click here to visit kcadby's homepage. 
kcadby


Pro
Posts: 1733
posted July 19, 2003 10:27 PM        
The 2 springs...

00 Manual...page 5-12 top picture...parts C and D

02 Manual...page 6-10 top picture...parts D and E

GOT IT?!?!?!

I don't use them...i already said that...didn't I

Yes...it would be OK to use the narrow plate without the springs...if you don't have an extra...wide/normal one

  Ignore this member    Click here to visit kcadby's homepage. 
MadMike


Moderator
FEAR THE BLACK FLAG!!!!!!!!
Posts: 6579
posted July 20, 2003 07:17 AM        
yep toss the springs, and put a full fiber in, and I only soak my fibers a few hours, or less if I am at the track. dave you will be ok with a few hours you dont rip on your bike that bad.... unless you started dragracing here lately!
Mad Mike.
and You dont even want to know the amount of clutches that I have put in, and I am on my second nut. I would just double check it after a thousand miles or so just to put your mind at ease....

____________
200-MPH CLUB MEMBER!

  Ignore this member    Click here to visit MadMike's homepage. 
EastBayDave


Needs a job
Posts: 2245
posted July 20, 2003 04:29 PM        
Thanks for the advice guys. Just got home f/day out w/kids/family, so didn't get to work on it today. Need to go find a torque wrench anyway tomorrow; I just don't quite feel safe not knowing what the torque is on da nut. Picked up a hub holder from a bud late yesterday, so will get it together within a few days; surely by next weekend I should be ridin'....

If I hurry grudge night at the drags is Wed. nite. Don't think I'm gonna make it but may try. Any "break-in" required on this clutch/basket? Or just go ahead & hammer it?

Also need to throw this 17th front sprocket on....weeee!
____________
Enjoy the ride!
02' ZRX1200
00' ZX12R sold

  Ignore this member   
BA


Pro
Posts: 1592
posted July 20, 2003 06:20 PM        
HAMMER IT!!!






  Ignore this member   
EastBayDave


Needs a job
Posts: 2245
posted August 18, 2003 06:34 AM        
Yeah I know, I've been taking my time (& riding the ZRX), but I had to dis-assemble it again as I'm having problems. I had to order a new gasket & that took 1.5wks...grr...

It's making a strange "noise" when running. Kinda a "ding ding/rattle rattle" noise coming from the basket. It gets worse when the clutch lever is pulled. Seems to function ok...but afraid to ride it if somethings wrong.

Before I pull it down (again!) anyone know what this noise is? I'm guessing it's the new plates making "basket noise" rattling around in there on a virtually new/dry clutch? I soaked the fibers for 5 days...

Also, there's little if any oil getting to the clutch. I can open the filler cap while it's running & virtually only a few drops come out, no mess. Wow, that's a surprise eh'?

Help....
____________
Enjoy the ride!
02' ZRX1200
00' ZX12R sold

  Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX12R ZONE.com > Thread: Muzzys clutch/basket q? NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed


Copyright 2000-2026 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.31470799446106 seconds processing time