HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX12R ZONE.com > Thread: Back to the street! NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
swft


Needs a life
Full throttle!
Posts: One MEEEEEELLION
posted December 27, 2002 09:00 PM        
Back to the street!

Well, the race bike is back in street trim. Lights, blinkers, all is working. Was tempted to take it out, but looked down and saw the dunlop slicks still on the bike. Hmm...Rain and 60 mph crosswinds...Think not.

  Ignore this member   
wannabe


Pro
Posts: 1931
posted December 27, 2002 10:03 PM        
Did you cut holes for lights in the carbon fairings, or did you just put the original stuff back on?
  Ignore this member   
swft


Needs a life
Full throttle!
Posts: One MEEEEEELLION
posted December 28, 2002 06:17 AM        
Original back on. I don't have cf bodywork, I have fiberglass by A-Tech.
  Ignore this member   
EastBayDave


Needs a job
Posts: 2245
posted December 28, 2002 08:13 AM        
What!?!?? Why don't you just ride one of the other bikes & concentrate on getting that guy ready for the upcoming season? It's only 3 months away...

That bike on the street seems like such a waste. Sure, the most bad-ass'ed roadracing muthafucka in the states, but it just seems like such a waste. Slicks on wet cold pavement? Sounds hairy to me....

How about making it a show bike during the off-season?
____________
Enjoy the ride!
02' ZRX1200
00' ZX12R sold

  Ignore this member   
Hells Dark Lord


Needs a life
living life, and loving it.
Posts: 7981
posted December 28, 2002 08:24 AM        
slick on cold wet pavement sounds like and invitation to spend lots of money to me......honest hon I didnt think it was that bad, now I have got to fix this and this and that......lol
____________
When in doubt, lean farther and go faster....

  Ignore this member   
fish_antlers


Administrator
The Truth is Out There
Posts: 21896
posted December 28, 2002 09:54 AM        
why are you doing this?????????
  Ignore this member    Click here to visit fish_antlers's homepage. 
ZHooligan


Moderator
Post Whore Extraordinaire!
Posts: 3829
posted December 28, 2002 02:55 PM        
Insomnia!!!
  Ignore this member   
swft


Needs a life
Full throttle!
Posts: One MEEEEEELLION
posted December 28, 2002 03:50 PM        
It'll be on DOT tires while on the street. And it's a good way to get the engine broken in.
  Ignore this member   
beansbaxter


Needs a life
Posts: 5911
posted December 29, 2002 03:33 AM        
Why do you want to ride your race bike on the street? I thought ZedZedRocks is your designated bitch bike for this kind of weather?
  Ignore this member    Click here to visit beansbaxter's homepage. 
beansbaxter


Needs a life
Posts: 5911
posted December 29, 2002 03:34 AM        
How did you pick the 128 number on your bike swft...is that computer related?
  Ignore this member    Click here to visit beansbaxter's homepage. 
swft


Needs a life
Full throttle!
Posts: One MEEEEEELLION
posted December 29, 2002 05:21 AM        
BB - The ZZR is getting custom brake lines made for it by Galfer, so it's out of action for unknown number of weeks. I'm trading in my CRV on an Element, so the CRV is out of daily driving as well. That leaves the Dodge 2500. And using a manual around Seattle (specially in a 6000lb truck!) is not a lot of fun. So I want to have the 12 available if I don't get the ZZR back before I need to do some commuting.
  Ignore this member   
beansbaxter


Needs a life
Posts: 5911
posted December 29, 2002 11:37 AM        
I've never heard of Galfer, how are they? Why do you need custom brake lines, does no one make them yet for the ZZR? Next time ask me if my 12 needs custom brake lines, and maybe they can do a 2-for-1 special sheeesh.
  Ignore this member    Click here to visit beansbaxter's homepage. 
swft


Needs a life
Full throttle!
Posts: One MEEEEEELLION
posted December 29, 2002 12:55 PM        
Galfer is one of the oldest names in brake lines, along with Goodridge.
  Ignore this member   
beansbaxter


Needs a life
Posts: 5911
posted December 29, 2002 02:50 PM        
How do they compare with Muzzy brake lines?
  Ignore this member    Click here to visit beansbaxter's homepage. 
swft


Needs a life
Full throttle!
Posts: One MEEEEEELLION
posted December 29, 2002 05:16 PM        
I would imagine they'd be comparable. As far as I know, the only one making small -2 diameter lines are Goodridge. If you were to look at the line on my 12, you would notice that they are much smaller in diameter than the typical braided line. This means that a smaller volume of fluid is being moved, which promotes a greater amount of feel at the lever.
  Ignore this member   
beansbaxter


Needs a life
Posts: 5911
posted December 29, 2002 06:05 PM        
Any reason why you didnt do kevlar instead of braided?
  Ignore this member    Click here to visit beansbaxter's homepage. 
ZHooligan


Moderator
Post Whore Extraordinaire!
Posts: 3829
posted December 29, 2002 06:53 PM        
Kevlar lines work well, they are not as readily available and they don't hold up to abuse as well as the stainless lines. My experience is they can be a bit brittle.
  Ignore this member   
VincentHill


Needs a life
Posts: 6520
posted December 29, 2002 07:43 PM        
quote:
Kevlar lines work well, they are not as readily available and they don't hold up to abuse as well as the stainless lines. My experience is they can be a bit brittle.


As far as I am concerned, the Kevlar Lines "Killed" Jimmy Adamo coming out of the infield at Daytona. They are not Abrasion resistant like the Braided lines Period.
____________
Made History @ Daytona and still one fast old man!!

  Ignore this member   
VincentHill


Needs a life
Posts: 6520
posted December 29, 2002 07:45 PM        
I just spent a good amount of time restoring my bike back to a street Bike. I need to ride the twisties with some friends ASAP or not be able to ride well again.
____________
Made History @ Daytona and still one fast old man!!

  Ignore this member   
ZHooligan


Moderator
Post Whore Extraordinaire!
Posts: 3829
posted December 29, 2002 09:17 PM        
I am a bit unclear where you stand on the stainless versus kevlar brake lines Vincent! I ran a set of the Kevlars on my VTR 1000. It was crashed a number of times by a young man I sponsored and did not have any issues with the kevlar lines. That said I have always worried about them so I took extra precautions to protect them from abrasion etc. I have ran Stainless lines on everything else and see no reason to use anything else. If you are running stock squish brake lines you don't know what you are missing!


  Ignore this member   
magzx12r


Expert Class
Posts: 252
posted December 30, 2002 06:28 PM        
What about the "Carbon Fiber" brake lines by Goodridge? Are those any good or should I switch to stainless. I haven't had any problems with them.
____________
Mark
'03 ZX-12R
'12 1199S

  Ignore this member   
frEEk


Administrator
ummm... yeah
Posts: 9660
posted December 30, 2002 07:31 PM        
u mean the "carbone" brake lines? if so, those are just a tinted plastic sleeve over steel.
  Ignore this member    Click here to visit frEEk's homepage. 
magzx12r


Expert Class
Posts: 252
posted January 06, 2003 10:20 AM        
Carbone, that's it. Thanks.
____________
Mark
'03 ZX-12R
'12 1199S

  Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX12R ZONE.com > Thread: Back to the street! NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed


Copyright 2000-2026 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.21664094924927 seconds processing time