Hells Dark Lord

Needs a life
living life, and loving it.
Posts: 7981
|
posted December 01, 2002 09:48 PM
hmmm and for those of us that cant afford a 12 and a new wing....buy her a zx6r..... and then drag knee.....:P
|
VincentHill

Needs a life
Posts: 6520
|
posted December 02, 2002 01:39 PM
quote: I take everything you guys say to heart. Good advice.
So when did you get past that selfish stage to allow yourself to fill that passenger seat?
"Right After I took her out for my first test ride 15 years ago".
The short of the story is I was not going to marry someone that was not 100% into bikes! You know how they all say "I like motorcycles" and then right after you marry them they tell you it is them or the bike"!
I took Peggy on my 1984 900 Ninja on my favorite back road in West (by God) Virginia. On one sweeping left, I was doing about 140 with the bike twitching and sliding from time to time and with my heart in my throat, I yelled out "140"!! she yelled back! "You will do better in the next turn"! It was that "EXACT" Second and I have never regretted it!
____________
Made History @ Daytona and still one fast old man!!
|
mjames
Parking Attendant
Posts: 4
|
posted December 03, 2002 08:43 AM
Edited By: mjames on 3 Dec 2002 08:45
First I want to thank everyone who responded to my question.
Since the answers ranged from "no way" to "no problema" I asked the local dealer to put me on the back so I could see for myself.
I'm 5'10" , 170 lbs, hopefully larger than anyone I'd want on the back! Anyway, while the ride wasn't all that long, I had more fun than I could imagine. Riding up high was really a hoot. I held on mostly with my legs with hands on the gas tank. Seat was fine.
I'd say this is a great two-up bike IF the person on the back wants a real sport experience and doesn't mind becoming part of the ride as opposed to just a passive passenger. On the other hand, I could see someone on the skittish side finding it a harrowing experience.
Anyway, I ended up buying a Busa -- here come the flames!
But the reason had nothing to do with passenger comfort, although the Busa does appear more comfortable.
The final decision came down to several things, but mainly the kind of riding I do most -- slabs, sweepers and city -- not much twisties.
Thanks all again for the advice.
|
ZHooligan

Moderator
Post Whore Extraordinaire!
Posts: 3829
|
posted December 03, 2002 10:43 AM
Our condolences go out to you and your family.
____________
To those who do not count their life in years, but in how life
has touched them in the past and how much it can hold in the
future; -- Youth is forever.
|
VincentHill

Needs a life
Posts: 6520
|
posted December 03, 2002 09:28 PM
To Paraphrase another statement, "Once you get past the Looks, you have got it half licked"! As far as I know, Except for the "Looks", any other problems with a Bus can be fixed! Enjoy you bike! BTW, it also proves that you really like the tail section of a 12 the Most! (Get used to looking at it )
____________
Made History @ Daytona and still one fast old man!!
|
princesskiwi

Administrator
MISTRESS of SMACK
Posts: 7688
|
posted December 03, 2002 11:33 PM
It has to do with how the bike fits.
Most men that buy a ZX12-R, will say that they bought the bike because it fit them.
Most people I have met who ride a ZX12-R are taller than 5'10.
Or they are seriously seasoned riders, that could ride anything with two wheels, and virtually make their own 12, by mod-ing the crap out of their bike.
Most guys that take on the Busa, are just honestly - short.
It's the 'short-man's superbike'
mjames - you'll probably be one of the tallest guys you'll meet, in a group of busa riders.
|
princesskiwi

Administrator
MISTRESS of SMACK
Posts: 7688
|
posted December 03, 2002 11:37 PM
And as far as living life to the fullest... I have equal enjoyment sitting outside in the fall sun listening to the leaves fall, as I do riding my bike.
Being happy being in motion - is only half of happiness.
You also have to know the joy of being still.
|
beansbaxter
Needs a life
Posts: 5911
|
posted December 04, 2002 12:18 AM
Edited By: beansbaxter on 4 Dec 2002 00:23
Hmmm....I'm probably an exception to the 12 fittin' rule....
I'm 5'10", and have always stuck with Ninjas over the years cause of their fit, I have a longer torso, not so tall in the legs, and the Ninjas have always fit me good. Till I got the 12, sat on it the first time....wow! The 12 sat oooh sooo high. One of the selling points on the 12 on the website is it has an "adjustable seat height" and when I call Kawi about it, they said you can add shims to raise not lower the seat height. So I'm literally tippie toe on my 12. I sat on a Busa once and loved the lower height. The new 9R was the same, the new R6 was great for how low they are. But I had to have a 12!!!
The bike has settled some, with well over 13000 miles on it over the riding season. It's still not as low as any other bike I've riden, but I've adapted to it, gotten better at it, and work with it.
I would have to say I picked the 12 for some crazy reasons. I wanted to finally go all out on a brand new motorcycle, was tired of riding 6's and 750's...so I figured 12 was all I would ever need. Besides, I had riden an 11 back in the day, and used to love them.
The new 02 12 came out, read the article in Cycle World (still have a copy of it), and I got it literally that same weekend. I didnt ride it for the first week I owned it cause it cleaned my savings out, I had to wait for my next paycheck to afford gas, I was sooo broke.
I remember pulling out of the dealership on the 12, rode it for less then three miles, pulled into the nearby Taco Bell, parked it, sat on the curb, and stared in amazement. I realized I was breathing heavy, literally scared of so much power, all while having the absolute largest smile plastered on my face.
I love my 12, and I know why they say it's meant for taller riders, but I dont regret, I just have to be a lil more careful then most. Too much effort to lower it, having to do the links, forks, and adjustable kickstand, all that suspension stuff, not for me.
But I did hear an offer from Zhooligan that a lil suspension tuning was in order when I get back from my vacation, and I'm sure I'll take him up on it.
And the "other" dumb reason I am hooked on Kawaski Ninjas....it's for the name. Thanks to Tom Cruise in Top Gun, the David Hasslehoff of Baywatch, the Ninja name is common, everyone knows they can be hammered and everyone knows their fast and the biggest part of everyone are the ladies. When you walk into a bar, when your in any conversation anywhere, no matter where your at or who your with, people (girls) know the Ninja. Try telling a girl that you have a YZFR6 and they are like what the hell. Tell a girl you ride a Ninja and they know. They might not truly know a lot about bikes, but they know Ninjas. Tell a girl you ride a Yamaha, and the common reply is, "Isnt that a type of keyboard or somethin'?"
Ninja forever!!
Hope I didnt bore you all. And I do believe this is the longest post I've ever had. I felt like Redelk for a second there. Hope it counts for two posts.
|
mjames
Parking Attendant
Posts: 4
|
posted December 04, 2002 10:09 AM
Edited By: mjames on 4 Dec 2002 10:24
quote: Most people I have met who ride a ZX12-R are taller than 5'10.Or they are seriously seasoned riders...(the Busa) It's the 'short-man's superbike'
LOL Princess. Actually, I'm quite "seasoned" (perhaps too much so :-) ) and I'm used to higher (and heavier) bikes than both the ZX12-R and the Busa.
It was really a difficult choice because they are both such excellent machines.
In the end what it came down to was my primary use for the bike.
I thought the ZX-12r had the edge in the twisties, a very sporting feel, very flickable. The Busa is no slouch here either, but not quite the same feeling.
On the other hand, I thought the Busa had the edge on the slabs, lane splitting and in conjested city traffic. And that's where I spend most of my time.
One day I may very well end up with a ZX-12r, or perhaps even a 9r for more sport riding.
Wish I could have afforded both !!! BTW I agree with you about the joys of "stillness" in you previous post. My other passion is kayaking. Compared to the Busa...that's REAL still.
|
beansbaxter
Needs a life
Posts: 5911
|
posted December 04, 2002 10:12 AM
I'd like to see a 9R with a 12 engine in it, I hear the frame in the 9 will fit a 12.
|
VincentHill

Needs a life
Posts: 6520
|
posted December 04, 2002 10:27 AM
Beans, Makes my post look more reasonable! Princess, I enjoyed reading what you wrote for 1 reason more than any other. It looked like someone writing "Exactly" what they wanted to say and I always enjoy that! (You may not have noticed, but I may have used 2 periods in a post and 1! instead of 2 or 3 a few times. Thanks for the direct statement, always correct in my book!
Beans, your statement reminded me of "Several" rides on "Several" bikes!
My H-1 500 in 1970, Just could not believe what I had just done!
H-2 750, in 1973 Really got my attention. 1978 KZ1000 that I had started working on to make it my AMA Superbike, "REALLY" Got my attention,
1983 Honda Interceptor VFR750F Riding it WFO through a series of turns and then a Straight away!
!984 900 Ninja, Actually got off the bike and sat on a curb to look at the bike and think things over after a WFO Ride and seeing 160
1993 ZX11C3 With my wife on I-95 between Daytona and Flagler Beach WFO and windy seeing 180.
2000 ZX12R again on I-95 this time headed for Titusville and seeing 210 with 18 / 45 gearing and feeling Peggy hitting me on the back and me thinking that maybe I had just passed a "Police" car and seriously getting on the brakes only to find that a gush of wind had gotten under her Helmet and had tried to rip her off of the bike, but the "BACK REST" that I had installed for just such reasons, kept her from leaving! (1 foot off of the peg and 1 hand off of me!) We got her a Helmet like mine the very next day. She still wants to ride the Mile at Maxton "With" me!
Bikes are "Serious" and FUN Fun fun!
____________
Made History @ Daytona and still one fast old man!!
|
beansbaxter
Needs a life
Posts: 5911
|
posted December 04, 2002 10:53 AM
Edited By: beansbaxter on 4 Dec 2002 11:00
VinceH....and to others:
When you go through that many bikes over the years, what happens to them? Do you sell them? What makes you upgrade or get a new bike? Any reason why you just didnt keep whatever bike you had and get another one?
My first motorcycle was a 1990 750R Ninja, and I loved it. Ninjas looked cool in those days cause they still had the Japanese writing on the lower part of the ferring, looked really cool. And I hammerred the hell out of that thing. That was in 1995 when I learned how to ride. I loved that bike, hated to sell it.
The 12 is only the third street motorcycle I've ever owned personally. I plan on keeping my 12 for life. Even if I get, because I want to, another motorcycle, I still plan on keeping my 12. Do you think 15 years from now the 12 is still going to be a dominant motorcycle? I wonder how much left can things come, but looking back 15 years, we've come so far, exspecially in technology.
When it does come time to get that second bike, it most likely will be that 1990 750R I just spoke of. I want to have another one, I enjoyed it. It had 26k miles on it when I sold it. Only problem ever was the carbs had to be flushed due to bad fuel, but that was from the dreaded BP station in Tacoma and not my fault. $250 ouch I remember lol. Good times still though.
And do you always buy new or used? I think I'll buy used from now on. I can live knowing I've owned my 12 from day one, pulled out of the dealer with less then 1/10th of a mile showing on the odo. But used is so much cheaper and I'll go that route next time.
|
VincentHill

Needs a life
Posts: 6520
|
posted December 04, 2002 02:15 PM
Beans, You ask a good question. The easiest one was the Honda, I sold / Traded it in in 1 year. Even My father knew I did not want a "Honda" and sent me the extra money to buy the new Water Cooled GPZ900R. I "STILL" Have that bike to this day and that is why I make so many adjustments to my ZX11 & 12! To make them all feel like the 900 Ninja. (I Sold my ZX11 to a person I felt would give it proper care and paid everything I asked him to pay for it. I needed the money to buy the 12 and do not need that many bikes. I still have "Parts" of that 78 KZ1000 and know where more parts are. Starting with the first Kawasaki 350 A-7 SS Avenger which I had J&R Expansion chambers and a Road Race Fairing with a window wor the Head Light, and Clip-Ons, the dealer sold it while I was sitting on it in front of his shop and put me on a Red H-1 500. I turned it into my H1R Road Racer with an Ex Art Bauman Frame and raced it until I got the TZ250D Yamaha Racer. I sold the frame and a few other parts to Kevin Cameron and still have some of the engine parts. The H-2 750 was turned into a Dunstall Kawasaki and looked cool, but finally sold it for money to support my Habbit (AMA Road Racing). I will not mention that my first Bike was a "Harley" 125 Hummer 1955 and my second bike was a Montgomery Wards 250 Single Benelli. I learned to ride on a Triumph Tiger Cub 200 cc on a TT course during a race! I also rode a Zundapp Super Saber and a NSU Max. Right now, I have the ZX12R, My Wife has a 2000 250 Ninja (Green also) and Kawasaki 650 4 cylinder and my Deceased Father's KZ440 (Which I broke my left leg trying to save it and ended up on crutches for 3 years! I would not do that again, but I did save the bike and I loved my Dad, so at the time it was worth it!)
____________
Made History @ Daytona and still one fast old man!!
|
princesskiwi

Administrator
MISTRESS of SMACK
Posts: 7688
|
posted December 05, 2002 10:11 AM
quote: I'd like to see a 9R with a 12 engine in it, I hear the frame in the 9 will fit a 12.
Trying to build a hover-craft (sp)?
If you included all the little 'wings' the ZX12-R has on it, into the design of the 9 bodywork, I am sure it would get air.
|
princesskiwi

Administrator
MISTRESS of SMACK
Posts: 7688
|
posted December 05, 2002 10:19 AM
VincentHill, as much as I will never change my mind about 2up riding on sportbikes, I enjoy reading your posts on the subject.
It is refreshing, to hear a man so in love with his wife.
And of course his 12.
|
VincentHill

Needs a life
Posts: 6520
|
posted December 05, 2002 01:04 PM
"BINGO" PK! "You Da Lady" You have just about said it all! I will add She loves the 12 and "WE" Enjoy it together! (I just cannot enjoy it as much by myself)
____________
Made History @ Daytona and still one fast old man!!
|
VincentHill

Needs a life
Posts: 6520
|
posted December 05, 2002 01:04 PM
"BINGO" PK! "You Da Lady" You have just about said it all! I will add She loves the 12 and "WE" Enjoy it together! (I just cannot enjoy it as much by myself)
____________
Made History @ Daytona and still one fast old man!!
|
worm~hole

Needs a life
Miles to go before I sleep....
Posts: 10623
|
posted December 05, 2002 06:47 PM
quote: And as far as living life to the fullest... I have equal enjoyment sitting outside in the fall sun listening to the leaves fall, as I do riding my bike.
Being happy being in motion - is only half of happiness.
You also have to know the joy of being still.
...wow, pk...that was beautiful...so yin/yang-ish...I think know what you mean...like how I feel one with my dog and he with me...awesome...
____________
“We sleep safe in our beds because rough men
stand ready in the night to visit violence on those
who would do us harm.”
-George Orwell
|
Hells Dark Lord

Needs a life
living life, and loving it.
Posts: 7981
|
posted December 06, 2002 01:30 AM
dam if all 12 owners are tall I am the exception to the rule, at just 5'9 and 190 lbs, I guess I rank about one of the shortest guys......but did ya'll ever notice that 9 out of 10 guys on busas are ...well lets just say rater portly around the mid section?????? Kelly and I was making jokes about that at Daytona this last time we were there.......
|
beansbaxter
Needs a life
Posts: 5911
|
posted December 06, 2002 01:35 AM
Edited By: beansbaxter on 6 Dec 2002 01:36
I'm 5'10" and 230lbs......hmmmm.....maybe if I put salt in my boots, I'll get taller.
I've sat on and driven some bikes and just love how comfortably low they feel....just to name a few: an 02 Busa, an 01 ZX-9R, and an 02 R6 was hella awesome!
|
Hells Dark Lord

Needs a life
living life, and loving it.
Posts: 7981
|
posted December 06, 2002 01:52 AM
have ridden all of those bikes, none of them just got my attention like the 12......guess that is why I have a 12, instead of the others....now I am trying to buy a 84 GS1100 drag bike......that would be fun....
|
VincentHill

Needs a life
Posts: 6520
|
posted December 06, 2002 05:14 AM
How tall is ZX12 Girl! She did not look to be 6 feet to me! I "WAS" a little over 5'11" when I grew up! Old age and Incidents, I am now a little over 5'10"!
____________
Made History @ Daytona and still one fast old man!!
|
Hells Dark Lord

Needs a life
living life, and loving it.
Posts: 7981
|
posted December 06, 2002 07:53 AM
you know I see more women riding busas than I do 12's......???? Ladies...comments?
|
beansbaxter
Needs a life
Posts: 5911
|
posted December 06, 2002 08:01 AM
Edited By: beansbaxter on 6 Dec 2002 15:00
There are many good things about all different sort of bikes. The 12 for me, in my opinion, is everything I could ask for in a motorcycle. Yes, I know my engine is still stock, but its still an unlimited source of power whenever I need or want it. I swear the last two gears are just huge overdrives, yet still there is no need to downshift to pass.
If I had to sum up the 12 in one word, the biggest reason I like it is because its so "graceful"....the bike just dances in traffic, flirts with danger, all while being so impeccably effortless.
To me, it is the perfect motorcycle, both in asthetics and power.
|
VincentHill

Needs a life
Posts: 6520
|
posted December 06, 2002 08:39 AM
Beans, between what you said and a few others, it "Begins" to paint the picture of what this big bike is all about!
____________
Made History @ Daytona and still one fast old man!!
|
|
|