HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX12R ZONE.com > Thread: remote oil tank design NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
zrxdean


Needs a job
Posts: 2225
posted June 01, 2005 01:41 PM        
remote oil tank design

So, I'm still having trouble keeping rod bearings in my ZRX. Plenty of oil, plenty of oil pressure during the burnout, but somehow the #1 and #4 rod bearings (but not 2& 3 or any mains) get hammered after 30-35 1/4 mile passes. It's happened twice now, with one rod replaced, and a diff crank the second time. .002" clearance on mains, .003" on Carrillo rods, Falicon blueprinted stock crank. It's together again now, and I tripled checked the ign timing; 34 deg both 1/4 and 2/3. This is a blow-thru carb turbo making about 300hp. I have a Muzzy dry sump pan, and run about 6 qts of synthetic 5w-40. Oil restricted to head, KHI filter.

So I'm wondering if the dry sump tank (which I drew up, thus unknown performance) is to blame. On the dyno oil pressure is fine. I can't keep my eye on the gauge at the track, I know I need a datalogger. After I let off the pressure is still high - 75+.psi. I will make a point to watch it next time out, but I'm thinking that oil might be aerating and feeding my crank foam instead of oil? Any thoughts on the cascade design of this tank? The suction line is level with the bottom of the tank, and the return rises 6-8" to dump above the oil line. It's vented with a diff vent fitting in the cap. The lines are -10AN.

Any advice or comments are welcome.

Thanks,
Dean


  Ignore this member   
your car is slow


Needs a job
Fuck Nitrous...Got Boost?
Posts: 4089
posted June 01, 2005 02:06 PM        
Id chip in on an LM1 if you wanted to get one
____________
Do not taunt happy fun ball!

  Ignore this member    Click here to send Your Car Is Slow an AIM message. 
zrxdean


Needs a job
Posts: 2225
posted June 01, 2005 03:14 PM        
I actually did already... got a great deal on one - $355 with the RPM converter / extra channel adapter. But I'd need a way to transduce oil pressure into a 0-5 volt signal. I need to check the output range of a Auto Meter guage, that may do it.

Anyway I just got back from a ride, and at low boost, the oil pressure was still good up to redline, 75psi+.

Dean

  Ignore this member   
osti33


Needs a job
Posts: 2973
posted June 01, 2005 03:49 PM        Edited By: osti33 on 1 Jun 2005 16:49
Dean, what side of the tank is the front? As in faces the front of the bike.
  Ignore this member   
zrxdean


Needs a job
Posts: 2225
posted June 01, 2005 05:07 PM        
The outlet is in the rear, bevel to the front.
  Ignore this member   
dougmeyer


Needs a job
moderated
Posts: 2713
posted June 02, 2005 04:06 PM        
Dean,
I'm sure the problem is with your tank. But since I don't know what space you are working with I can't really re- design it for you. Here are some general "goals" :
Round tanks are best.
Make sure you have 2 liters airspace above the oil. The return should enter the tank on a tangent along the side so as to avoid a "garden hose" effect from shooting the oil against a flat surface that contributes to foaming. Too many baffles are as bad as not enough. It looks to me like you have to many, making a nice little waterfall effect to keep that foam going. Put a couple up at the top none at the bottom.
Another good plan is to slope the baffle plates downhill to help the oil get to the bottom
It wouldn't hurt to have the pickup in the back and a -12 return line wouldn't hurt either (even though you only have a -10 fittting in the sump).
Make sure you have at least a -8 or 10 vent to atmos.
I'd say go find one of those "how to" hot rod books about oil systems. They have great basic designs in them. I hate to sound like a broken record. But dry sump oIl systems are an area I have ALOT of experience with and if it's wrong, you blow stuff up regularly. If it's right, the next time you change a bearing it will be because you're bored. When working on the road race cars, oil tank design was one of the most time (and engine) consuming design problems we faced when working with a new car that necessitated a new tank shape.
I'll help any way I can....

  Ignore this member   
zrxdean


Needs a job
Posts: 2225
posted June 02, 2005 10:14 PM        
That's GREAT info Doug, thanks a lot. It's depressing to put it back together when I don't know what caused the failure in the first place. At this point I'm willing to invest in a commercial tank. The 1.7 gal Moon tank listed in the Muzzy install notes is a bit too wide for my swingarm, I'll call around and see what's available. I've noticed that the most I can keep in it is 6 qts, with the cases holding 2 qts, so I'll shoot for 1.5 gal or more of volume if you think that's acceptable.

Changing bearings because I'm bored... what a dream. I could focus on riding... mow my lawn occasionally...

Thanks,
Dean

  Ignore this member   
your car is slow


Needs a job
Fuck Nitrous...Got Boost?
Posts: 4089
posted June 02, 2005 11:07 PM        
what about working in an accumulator along with the tank just to be safe? or is that overkill?
____________
Do not taunt happy fun ball!

  Ignore this member    Click here to send Your Car Is Slow an AIM message. 
zrxdean


Needs a job
Posts: 2225
posted June 03, 2005 07:53 AM        
I think I'm OK in terms of keeping oil available at the pickup, and high pressure- but the quality of oil is what I guess is hurting me. Translucent golden oil = happy bearings. Foamy milkshake oil = unhappy bearings (+unhappy Dean).

Dean

  Ignore this member   
your car is slow


Needs a job
Fuck Nitrous...Got Boost?
Posts: 4089
posted June 03, 2005 10:09 AM        
ooooo....yeh..only chicks like the creamy stuff.


____________
Do not taunt happy fun ball!

  Ignore this member    Click here to send Your Car Is Slow an AIM message. 
All times are America/Va < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX12R ZONE.com > Thread: remote oil tank design NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed


Copyright 2000-2026 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.21534490585327 seconds processing time