HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX12R ZONE.com > Thread: installing cylinder NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
aliveagain


Needs a life
Posts: 5033
posted May 16, 2005 06:18 PM        
installing cylinder

I'm having a problem keeping the pistons straight when trying to get them in the cylinder.Every time they'll go in crooked causing the rings to pop out of the ring compressors.Any tips and advice would be much appreciated on how you install the cylinders.thanx
____________
I wondered why the baseball kept getting bigger. Then it hit me.

  Ignore this member   
MadMike


Moderator
FEAR THE BLACK FLAG!!!!!!!!
Posts: 6579
posted May 16, 2005 06:38 PM        
you can place 2 small bars (smooth)under the pistons to help keep them straight. or email me your address and I can send you the kawasaki tool, to borrow, and just return it to me when your done with it.
Mad Mike
____________
200-MPH CLUB MEMBER!

  Ignore this member    Click here to visit MadMike's homepage. 
osti33


Needs a job
Posts: 2973
posted May 16, 2005 08:03 PM        
I did it like mike. I used some small stainless tube under the pistons to keep them straight. With those and a couple of ring compressors you should be fine.
  Ignore this member   
aliveagain


Needs a life
Posts: 5033
posted May 17, 2005 02:32 AM        
Just out of curiosity,which side do you put the sealant? The underside of the cylinder or on top of the casing? Seems like the underside because otherwise I run the risk of scratching it off with the pistons.
____________
I wondered why the baseball kept getting bigger. Then it hit me.

  Ignore this member   
aliveagain


Needs a life
Posts: 5033
posted May 17, 2005 02:46 PM        
Well I'm happy to report ,the pistons went right in once I gave them a little support.It was crucial that the ring gaps were at 6 and 12 oclock and then they went right in in about 30 mins.Next step is to clean the insides of the bored out head gasket.
____________
I wondered why the baseball kept getting bigger. Then it hit me.

  Ignore this member   
osti33


Needs a job
Posts: 2973
posted May 17, 2005 05:08 PM        
Glad to hear it went well...
  Ignore this member   
dougmeyer


Needs a job
moderated
Posts: 2713
posted May 17, 2005 08:56 PM        
Place the gasket with the raised bead "up". If using a stock gasket, never add any type of sealant. Same goes for head gskts. TH ehead gasket is a bitch to get "clean" if itt hasn't been machined in aproper fixture. The grade/type of stainless used tend to produce slivers and shards the more you work to clean the edge. Very much a PITA.

  Ignore this member   
eastbaydave


Needs a job
Posts: 2245
posted May 19, 2005 06:00 AM        
quote:
or email me your address and I can send you the kawasaki tool, to borrow, and just return it to me when your done with it.
Mad Mike

YOU FUCKIN'-A ROCK DUDE....

three cheers for Mad Mike.....hip hip hooray! hip hip horray! hip hip horray!

the world needs more kind-hearted peeps like you...

ebd
____________
Enjoy the ride!
02' ZRX1200
00' ZX12R sold

  Ignore this member   
rac4it


Needs a job
Bergie
Posts: 3009
posted May 19, 2005 06:07 AM        
that almost sounds like ebd is gay for mm ;-)
  Ignore this member   
MadMike


Moderator
FEAR THE BLACK FLAG!!!!!!!!
Posts: 6579
posted May 19, 2005 12:30 PM        
your just being nice cause my airshifter is gonna kick your ass...

____________
200-MPH CLUB MEMBER!

  Ignore this member    Click here to visit MadMike's homepage. 
rac4it


Needs a job
Bergie
Posts: 3009
posted May 19, 2005 03:55 PM        
you better get some more seat time; me being off a bike for almost two years isn't going to help you much! :-) practice up before I make you my bitch
  Ignore this member   
12r1


Expert Class
Posts: 390
posted May 19, 2005 08:08 PM        
I'd love to meet you guys sometime, LOL.
And make you both my bitches,he he he.

jeff

  Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX12R ZONE.com > Thread: installing cylinder NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed


Copyright 2000-2026 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.27309989929199 seconds processing time