HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX12R ZONE.com > Thread: Lost keys/removing ignition lock NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
zxfingyz


Expert Class
Posts: 424
posted March 22, 2004 07:17 AM        
Lost keys/removing ignition lock

I may have lost my keys and the dealer wants the number off the lock. That number is inside the lock unit yes? They are telling me it has to be removed to get the number.
My questions is can anyone help me with how to remove the lock and will it be better/cheaper to just get a new lock?
I am sure the keys will only turn up after I have spent some money or time.



  Ignore this member   
swft


Needs a life
Full throttle!
Posts: One MEEEEEELLION
posted March 22, 2004 07:44 AM        
Did you buy the bike new? If so, check the documents the dealer gave you for the little metal tag with the number on it.
  Ignore this member   
swft


Needs a life
Full throttle!
Posts: One MEEEEEELLION
posted March 22, 2004 08:03 AM        
Also, I would be really suprised if there isn't a cross reference from VIN to ignition key number.
  Ignore this member   
Tearinitup


Expert Class
VP Code Monkey
Posts: 298
posted March 22, 2004 09:39 AM        
I lost mine and... turned out it was cheaper and quicker to just take it to the lock shop. They picked it and built me a new key that works everything in about an hour and it only cost me $30 bucks. Finding the original Kaw blank was a pain in the ass though.
  Ignore this member   
TurboBlew


Moderator
BUSY DOING THE SCHIAVO
Posts: 4590
posted March 22, 2004 10:40 AM        
Yeah.... nobody stocks anything like the Kawi keyblank. I tried 4 or 5 different ones on Home Depots dime.

You could always look for one on Ebay. Good luck getting the one way screws out of the lock. What a PITA.
____________
Official Charter Member of the RIDERS OF KAWASAKI MEMBERSHIP REVOCATION CLUB
Also a BadAss Internet Forum Moderator 4 Hire!! Come at me brah!

  Ignore this member   
02fast4u


Parking Attendant
Posts: 16
posted March 22, 2004 02:11 PM        Edited By: redelk on 22 Mar 2004 14:26
http://www.motorcyclekeys.com/blanks.html

try the link above that should help you to get a kawi keyblank

  Ignore this member   
nedragr


Zone Head
Posts: 504
posted March 22, 2004 04:44 PM        
I haven't used this guy, but did pass some mail back and forth with him when I was tring to source a couple of key blanks for my Japanese CBR 400. Very helpful, very accomidating to my persistent questioning. He'd be the first one I go to if I needed a blank.

As far as getting the ignition off, you'll have to use a small chissel to work them loose. You could also drill them off to if thats easier. They're actually a torque bolt that snaps off and leaves just a head to hold the ignition on the triple clamp. Good luck in solving the problem.

  Ignore this member   
zxfingyz


Expert Class
Posts: 424
posted March 24, 2004 08:54 AM        
For those of you with new or almost new zx-12s here is the solution to this lost keys problem.

Take the key code off the original bill of sale and write it down and stash it somewhere. There is also supposed to be a little metal tag in your documentation, stash that too and not in the seat bin either. Getting this ignition off is proving to be a bear and the locksmiths I spoke to so far are talking $200 plus to build me a key without the code.

You could trailer the bike to the dealer. About $200. Hour and half of labor.
How many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie pop? I bet one of those dealership techs can tell you. Hour and a half?

You could go back to the original dealer(Hello Paw Paw, MI Kawasaki) and see if they have the original bill of sale. Maybe they do maybe they don't call back later. The customer support person at KMC was very nice(hello Ruth!) and helped me find the original dealer. That is all they can do though says Ruth.

For those of you with an older 2x-12 who didn't do any of the above stuff, you can try to find a 6x16 female socket for the torx bolts that hold the ingnition/lock. The key code is allegedly located at the bottom of the lock under the cover. You can of course see a diagram of this on the KMC web site.

As you can see the only real good solution to losing your keys is having the forsight to keep those key codes handy. I am still on the hunt for a female socket small enough to get those Torx bolts out. Once I find that and then strip the Torx bolts, kick the side faring panel and crack it, I will probably trailer the bike to the dealer.

  Ignore this member   
zx12richard


Pro
The Green Monster..
Posts: 1133
posted March 24, 2004 09:22 AM        
Hell a key blank would cost you 15 bucks... 30 isn't bad for all...
  Ignore this member   
ninja12


Needs a job
Posts: 3310
posted March 24, 2004 09:51 AM        
Pull the upper tripple clamp ant take it to the dealer.
  Ignore this member   
tuusinii


Pro
Posts: 1031
posted March 24, 2004 11:41 PM        
And also one good way of getting out of this problem is that make a copy of Your spare key when the first dissapears. So You then have two keys. I have now 3 because after couple of monts when the original dissapeared I found it. But allready had made a copy. They don't give You two keys just for fun...
  Ignore this member   
ninja12


Needs a job
Posts: 3310
posted March 25, 2004 07:53 AM        
yes mommie
  Ignore this member   
zxfingyz


Expert Class
Posts: 424
posted March 29, 2004 08:01 AM        
Turns out that whoever owned the bike before me actually wrote the key tag number in the owners manual in the slot that says 'write key number here'. I couldn't believe my eyes. Thanks to him whoever he is or was( his papers were in the bike when I bought it and the tech found them as he was talking me through the bike,not a good sign) for doing the right thing that I would have never done.
  Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX12R ZONE.com > Thread: Lost keys/removing ignition lock NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed


Copyright 2000-2026 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.23013591766357 seconds processing time