HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: header pipe turning blue?? NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
lawnplus

Novice Class
posted June 02, 2008 04:29 PM        
header pipe turning blue??

Just wondering if its a problem (too lean), 06 zx 14 brocks gen 3 ti oval.brocks g3 map
runs great good color in can. but head pipe is turning blue and pops like a mother on decell
any thoughts???
thanx plus

Ignore this member   
jeff martin

Pro (closed)
jamming
posted June 02, 2008 04:38 PM        
Popping is unburnt fuel, Normally you get a bit of blueing. But if it pop's really bad you might want to look into another map. Mine pops a little but not every downshift. Just if i run at a continuous gear and de-throttle without a downshift. Does it do it if you slightly open the throttle on down shifting. If so get another map to rich !

Ignore this member    Click here to visit jeff martin's homepage. 
lawnplus

Novice Class
posted June 02, 2008 04:45 PM        
no not all down shifts but if i stay in lets say 3rd gear and let off about 3500rpm it pops . any idea what map to run?

thanx plus.

Ignore this member   
jeff martin

Pro (closed)
jamming
posted June 02, 2008 04:51 PM        
Uhh ! I run a Dyno-jet map #012 from there web site and it works fine with slip-ons and a BMC Filter and no flies. I think the map says no Flies and stock air filter. But i saw no change when i installed the BMC Race version. Worth a try ! I get very little popping. As a matter of fact if i ride it hard from corner to corner i get no popping at all. Good luck.

lawnplus

Novice Class
posted June 02, 2008 05:00 PM        
thanx jeff ill try another map.
plus

Ignore this member   
kikonzx14

Pro
Novice
posted June 02, 2008 05:03 PM        
Sorry guys but I need to ask. After I've changed the exhausts for the Yoshi's TRC Ti slip ons, my Baby is having pretty heavy backfire (pops) when I decelerate. I still have the flies in, but I've removed the silencer inserts so now the bike it's running pretty unrestricted compared to the stock exhaust. Do you know if there is any map that might solve this?, how do you get the map into the ECU?
Thanks & Regards,
David
Feel the need for SPEED2007 ZX-14 Black with Red Flames (Helibars, Sliders, Yoshimura TRC Ti 4-2 Slip Ons, Fender Eliminator, Zero Gravity SR Windscreen, Custom Heel Guards , Speedohealer V4, Pazzo Levers -soon to come: Flies out / PCV w/A/T kit and later 16T sprocket)1990 Honda Steed (Japan model same as Shadow)1993 Kawasaki Vulcan EN 500 (gone as I trade it in for the ZX-14)Santiago, Chile, South America

Ignore this member   
lowcel

Expert Class
Happy on 2 wheels.
posted June 02, 2008 05:54 PM        
quote:
Sorry guys but I need to ask. After I've changed the exhausts for the Yoshi's TRC Ti slip ons, my Baby is having pretty heavy backfire (pops) when I decelerate. I still have the flies in, but I've removed the silencer inserts so now the bike it's running pretty unrestricted compared to the stock exhaust. Do you know if there is any map that might solve this?, how do you get the map into the ECU?
Thanks & Regards,
David

Do you have a pciii? If not you need one in order to get a new map. If you do have one you just need to download the map of your choice then hook your pciii up to your computer and upload it. Only takes a minute or two.
2007 Z14 SE - Yoshimura TRC full race exhaust w/ carbon can - PCiii w/ map from HPC - Flies removed - Pipercross air filter - Speedohealer - Puig Double Bubble - Fender Eliminator - GPR Steering Damper - Puig Frame Sliders - HID's - Halo's

Ignore this member   
stevewfl

posted June 02, 2008 06:01 PM        Edited By: stevewfl on 2 Jun 2008 19:57
Do you have the air box plugged? That was the only way I got mine to only pop one good time in the decel.

Brock supplies the plug with his pipes, I'm sure others do as well
CBR600RR track bike

Ignore this member   
Bawls

Needs a job
re-learning to ride
posted June 02, 2008 06:20 PM        
if you want to get rid of the blueing, get some blue job... i used to use it all the time when i was working at the stealership.

Brockland Police Badge # 001

Ignore this member    Click here to visit Bawls's homepage. 
zx14_1965

Zone Head
posted June 02, 2008 07:23 PM        
popping, headers turning blue equals lean condition - get a pcii with a custom map or at least a borrowed one.
  Ignore this member   
man00

Novice Class
posted June 02, 2008 09:17 PM        
some popping could be a leak in the exhaust?
  Ignore this member   
BobC

Pro
posted June 02, 2008 11:39 PM        
If you watch the headers during a dyno run they will be glowing red.

2012 ZZR1400 in Golden Blazed Green
Brock CT Full System. etc
Max: 203.1 in 1 mile (so far)

Ignore this member   
KikonZX14

Pro
Novice
posted June 03, 2008 05:34 AM        
In my case, no PCIII. Question, can you install a PCIII in a stock engine (flies in)?
Feel the need for SPEED2007 ZX-14 Black with Red Flames (Helibars, Sliders, Yoshimura TRC Ti 4-2 Slip Ons, Fender Eliminator, Zero Gravity SR Windscreen, Custom Heel Guards , Speedohealer V4, Pazzo Levers -soon to come: Flies out / PCV w/A/T kit and later 16T sprocket)1990 Honda Steed (Japan model same as Shadow)1993 Kawasaki Vulcan EN 500 (gone as I trade it in for the ZX-14)Santiago, Chile, South America

Ignore this member   
BobC

Pro
posted June 03, 2008 06:51 AM        
You can but if you have a Power Commander and since it's so easy to remove the flies you may as well do it and transform the bike. Honestly, it's like getting on a different machine, so much more responsive to throttle input. There are many threads on the forum about this. If you don't have dyno' access you can download a free fuel map from dynojet.

2012 ZZR1400 in Golden Blazed Green
Brock CT Full System. etc
Max: 203.1 in 1 mile (so far)

Ignore this member   
kawasaki_1965

Parking Attendant
Bone Stocker
posted June 03, 2008 08:06 AM        
PCIII on a stock bike will make a difference, not a really big one but your bike will feel smoother. Get used to the stock power before deciding to pull the flies. That bottom end RPM band will rocket you like a missile if you're not careful on the throttle.
A variety of maps are available for download through Dynojets website, even for a stock ZX14. Nothing beats a custom map though. I wouldn't spend the dough for a custom map until you're completely done with all the intake/exhaust mods otherwise you'd be spending a lot of $$ for custom maps for each stage of mod.

quote:
In my case, no PCIII. Question, can you install a PCIII in a stock engine (flies in)?

Ignore this member   
KikonZX14

Pro
Novice
posted June 03, 2008 01:15 PM        
Thanks Kaw_1965, will wait and in the meantime bear the backfire (being positive about it, sometimes it's even cool.....)

Ignore this member   
Big Ced

Expert Class
Soldier
posted June 03, 2008 02:59 PM        
alright guys I also have a PCIII took the bike and got it dyno tuned. I get constant popping on decel. I 1st I thought it was running lean took it to the tuner and he said when the bike 1st came in it was running rich but it is just right now. I can't stand that damn poping. Now a few guys tell me it is because I have that roaring toys exhaust on it, but I called roaring toys and they said the exhaust shouldn't have a pop and they never seen it before. Now I wonder do any of yall know anyone with this exhaust and do they have major decel pops?

Ignore this member    Click here to visit Big Ced's homepage. 
jeff martin

Pro (closed)
jamming
posted June 03, 2008 04:03 PM        
Maybe someone can chime in that knows more about fuel injection, But its been my understanding that the popping was fuel loading up at the exhaust valve. And when you decel the Oxygen reaches this unspent fuel and the cylinder head heat ignites it causing a pop or popping sound. So having a proper map can reduce the amount of fuel being injected at the point of decel. The 14 and most bikes come set-up very lean to meet dot regs and emissions. So when you add a richer set-up, Hence power commander it can sometimes cause this popping due to a richer injection of fuel.

Big Ced

Expert Class
Soldier
posted June 05, 2008 03:32 PM        
Ok I understand what you are saying on that but do you think that popping can cause damage to the engine?

Ignore this member    Click here to visit Big Ced's homepage. 
All times are America/Va < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: header pipe turning blue?? NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2023 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.27697420120239 seconds processing time