Concourse 14 / GTR1400
  HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > CONCOURS14.com > Thread: Problems installing AreaP Mid-Pipe to ZX-14 Header NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
ninjawarrior12


Novice Class
Posts: 39
posted February 07, 2009 04:57 PM        
Problems installing AreaP Mid-Pipe to ZX-14 Header

Need some technical help guys....

Just got my ZX-14 07 Header for my 08 C-14. I have an AreaP Midpipe, and CF can on the stock setup now.

Want to try to use the AreaP Midpipe, but it is too large in diameter to fit the 2.00" outside diameter of the ZX-14 Stock header, by .90.

So.....what have you gentlemen done to make the tight connection to the stock ZX-14 Stock Header, and alleviate this space of .90?

ZX-14 Header Diameter..............2.00" Outside

C-14 Header Diameter..............2.140" Outside

AreaP Midpipe Inside Diameter......2.190"

So, I have this .50" I have to shore up to make the tight connection...

Any and all suggestions greatly appreciated...I am into it NOW!

Ninjawarrior
____________
Lead, follow, or get the hell out of the way!

  Ignore this member   
oncourse


Expert Class
I hate flies!!!
Posts: 467
posted February 07, 2009 05:54 PM        
Why cannot you wait untill the real exhaust is made? This, to me, is just a waste of time. If you want to screw around for a long time trying to make things that do not fit, fit, it is not worth it. I know for some reason you are on a timetable to get something done, but instead of doing it 2x or more, wouldn't 1x doing it right be much easier??
I really think you are going about this the wrong way, even you know that there will be a full system completed soon. Rushing into things can get you into trouble (like now).
I am a perfectinist, who does not rush into anything, I want it right.

Rob
____________
True intellegence is not measured by your degrees.

04 klr 250 Lots of mods and 70 MPG!!
08 Connie 2 bros. Carbon. Helibars. Flies out, PC3!!!
2003 kx 500 SOLD
2004 KX 500 In service now, whata BEAST!

  Ignore this member   
oldkawboy


Needs a job
Posts: 2125
posted February 07, 2009 06:37 PM        Edited By: oldkawboy on 8 Feb 2009 02:44


Ninjawarrior,
Can a muffler shop with an expander help you out?

Dan


  Ignore this member   
oncourse


Expert Class
I hate flies!!!
Posts: 467
posted February 07, 2009 06:50 PM        
Yes I can see your point, however if you are after the best performance this might not be the right route... There are so many compexities in this whole equation, that makes this so difficult. I am all for the diy guys, however they most likely lack a dyno and a powercommander interface to map a program. I am not saying it could not be taken to a shop where thay have the tools, and could map it, but in the end, either you made great progress or you wasted all of your time. I wish you the first.
Anything can happen, someone could stumble on a gold mine, or someone could try to duplicate one, either way you will learn from it.
Good luck,
Rob


quote:
There is some people (like me) that just like to tinker. When I get my Connie I too will probably build my own system with a pre '08 header that I'll have ceramic coated and a set of carbon cans.
I applaud these folks who enjoy modifying their bikes their own way. Anybody can write a check for the latest and greatest parts and pay to have it installed.
I always thought that's what winter is for........piddling in the garage.

Now if it's a cost cutting measure, not much money will be saved by doing it yourself.

Ninjawarrior,
Can a muffler shop with an expander help you out?

Good luck with "your" project!
Dan



____________
True intellegence is not measured by your degrees.

04 klr 250 Lots of mods and 70 MPG!!
08 Connie 2 bros. Carbon. Helibars. Flies out, PC3!!!
2003 kx 500 SOLD
2004 KX 500 In service now, whata BEAST!

  Ignore this member   
ninjawarrior12


Novice Class
Posts: 39
posted February 07, 2009 09:51 PM        
Thanks guys,...all comments appreciated.....Rob, I toyed with that, but have nice shop and a few hours to kill, so what the hell..I have 50.00 invested in the project, just got it all back together no extra parts left over.....it is cold outside so it was a good 3 hour diversion for me..

Yes, it will be nice to get AreaP's 4-2-1, but right now 750.00 for that system is out of my financial reach......but 50.00 I didn't miss it....

Just wanted to see how things fit up....I got the pipe nice and snug....it seems to spin up a little faster....just took it down my street...it is 12:30 in the morning and cold as hell...

It flies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I could only imagine this bike with a real 09 ZX-14 motor...wow what a concept!

I found out that there is a difference in the 09 C-14 Header diameter, as compared to the 07 ZX-14 Header....ZX-14 is smaller....I never would have thought that...

I am glad to get rid of that cat finally.....maybe I will take it for a spin in the morning and see if I can see a difference...

I had the right map for the stock header....and may wait til AreaP comes out with their system and get a map from them......

That would be the way to go....I am glad I am NOT putting on dual pipes...too much weight, modifying the centerstand, the sidestand, and making a new bracket for the left can would be time consuming, and expensive..this way I have a simplistic modification...and am happy so far...

Will keep you posted...

Again guys, thanks for your comments...you too Rob!

Ninjawarrior
____________
Lead, follow, or get the hell out of the way!

  Ignore this member   
oncourse


Expert Class
I hate flies!!!
Posts: 467
posted February 08, 2009 05:40 AM        
Sorry, I was a little bitchy last night, because I came down with a very bad cold. Glad you didn't take anything the wrong way. I AM going the area p route, I do not want the cat's either. Taking those flies out with a good map and a slip on makes a VERY noticible difference, The area p map, I am sure, will not really benifit your setup. Your best bet is to have your setup mapped.
The smaller diameter header is probably better for making more HP, but the larger one should make more torque. My friend had his cats removed, it was involved, but he juat had to even though those cat's are high flow metal foil ones (There are 4 of them), his bike just feels lame compared to my setup.
Yeah, if I going to rip the whole thing apart I am going to do it right, just the way I am and fortunantly I do have the $$ to invest to get the most out of my machine. I can't wait!

Rob
____________
True intellegence is not measured by your degrees.

04 klr 250 Lots of mods and 70 MPG!!
08 Connie 2 bros. Carbon. Helibars. Flies out, PC3!!!
2003 kx 500 SOLD
2004 KX 500 In service now, whata BEAST!

  Ignore this member   
muguvian


Parking Attendant
Posts: 4
posted February 08, 2009 12:36 PM        
The ZX pipe dia is smaller because it has 2 outlets.
  Ignore this member   
MasterBlaster


Expert Class
Posts: 297
posted February 08, 2009 02:16 PM        
There are different thickness sleeves that fit over the header outlet to match it to the mid pipes. The 06 and 07 ZX had thicker sleeves. Easy to change. I put Scorpions on mine with my takeoff 06 header and had to use the thicker gasket sleeves, no biggie. I just pulled them frome the ZX mids and put them in the Scorp mids. In the past I have used alumnium tape to make gaskets for the same type of mismatch.
  Ignore this member   
oncourse


Expert Class
I hate flies!!!
Posts: 467
posted February 08, 2009 02:40 PM        
I was thinking of something else, I guess I am too sick to post. You are probably right.

Rob

quote:
The ZX pipe dia is smaller because it has 2 outlets.

____________
True intellegence is not measured by your degrees.

04 klr 250 Lots of mods and 70 MPG!!
08 Connie 2 bros. Carbon. Helibars. Flies out, PC3!!!
2003 kx 500 SOLD
2004 KX 500 In service now, whata BEAST!

  Ignore this member   
SteveWFL


Moderator
Posts: 27920
posted February 08, 2009 08:21 PM        
I would talk with the good folks at Area P for advice
____________
2010 Concours14
'08 R1 YAMAHA
ZX14 gone!
CBR600RR track bike

  Ignore this member   
ninjawarrior12


Novice Class
Posts: 39
posted February 09, 2009 05:20 AM        
I sent them an e mail..hopefully today I will have an answer..I think the best thing is to have them make me up a new midpipe to fit exactly.....and be done with it...

No jury rigging!

Ninjawarrior
____________
Lead, follow, or get the hell out of the way!

  Ignore this member   
The Pope


Novice Class
Posts: 44
posted February 20, 2009 03:19 AM        
quote:
Buy online lotro gold as low Pirce! We never rest so that we can offer you the best. We're here 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Get the most out of your game time and lvl with the best!
lotro gold website:
runescape powerleveling
runescape power leveling
world of warcraft gold
world of warcraft powerleveling
wow gold
wow power leveling
wow powerleveling


SPAM!!!!!!
____________
The Pope
COG's NCAAD

  Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
BIKELAND > FORUMS > CONCOURS14.com > Thread: Problems installing AreaP Mid-Pipe to ZX-14 Header NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed


Copyright 2000-2026 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.22033309936523 seconds processing time