Concourse 14 / GTR1400
  HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > CONCOURS14.com > Thread: When do you change your oil? NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
wormgear


Expert Class
Posts: 339
posted August 27, 2007 09:53 AM        
When do you change your oil?



I'm Still confused about how often to change my oil.
I Don't want to subject this amazing engine to any tired old oil risk, but I'm a cheap bastard at heart and can't stand the idea of dumping the liquid gold I put in her long before it's due.

And what's with the owners manual oil change intervals? If my arithmetic is right they're saying to change it at 600 miles then 6900 miles later, 7500 after that, 9000 after that and again 6000 later to total 30,000. What the hell is that about? How often should I change my oil? How about every XXX # of miles after the initial break-in oil change?

How often are you guys changing yours?
Are you using Pure synthetic? Blend? Or Dino?
Would you say you ride hard? Easy? Or mixed?


____________
GodDamnit there's always such a big temptation to be good, to be good! (Tom Waits)

  Ignore this member   
sands


Expert Class
Posts: 151
posted August 31, 2007 01:55 PM        Edited By: sands on 31 Aug 2007 14:55
You're not going to hurt the engine by keeping the oil fresh...But you can cause damage keeping it in there too long...

Better sooner than later....

Just ask anyone buying a used bike...All things being equal do you think they would rather buy from someone who changes their oil every 7,500 miles or someone paranoid about oil changes that did them every 2,500 or 3,000 ?
____________
www.nonationalid.com

  Ignore this member   
daysoffIride


Novice Class
Posts: 77
posted August 31, 2007 10:12 PM        
This is the most argued point of motorcycling.... OIL....

That being said, everyone has their ideas on what oil, how often, and synthetic or dino or blend.....

There is some great info out there on the web all about oils..... read up on it if you get the chance....

IMHO....... I get my 14 tomorrow, but recently broke in my new '08 KLR 650 2 months ago..... and many bikes before that....I will practice the same procedure... Since this is not a break-in thread, I will only say......

Go about 150 miles, get rid of the stock Dino oil and filter with the most fresh shavings and crap in it. Put another batch of Dino in it and if you wish a new filter, go till 1000 miles or so and make your switch to the high quality fully synthetic, non friction reducer oil of your choice...... Then change at whatever interval you wish thereafter...... I always thought time was a better reference than pure mileage, Sitting can cause oil spoilage due to pollution from fuel depositing in the crankcase.... I always change it in regular time intervals due to periods of non operation...... Hey, I get busy, what can I say..... I don't drive bikes to work....

I believe your motor needs to properly break-in a bit before you go to the fully synthetic.... People will argue the 1000 mi. or 2000 mi. point of change to synthetic, but from what I gather, this is fine.....

Some say, put in Fully synthetic from the start, like my Triumph sprint......... BMW cars are the same..... Always fully synthetic..... from the start.... Who knows.....

Let the arguing begin......... Gentleman, please chime in......

  Ignore this member   
wormgear


Expert Class
Posts: 339
posted September 01, 2007 04:55 PM        
I don't want to start a debate here, I just wanted to rant about the owners manual oil change schedule and find out when other owners are changing theirs. More of a poll than anything.
I'll ask again,

How often are you guys changing yours?
Are you using Pure synthetic? Blend? Or Dino?
Would you say you ride hard? Easy? Or mixed?

Here, I'll start.... I plan on changing mine every 7500 miles. I use 100% synthetic motorcycle oil (aimsoil)
And most (90%) of my riding is easy.

"Just the facts ma'am" , thank you.

____________
GodDamnit there's always such a big temptation to be good, to be good! (Tom Waits)

  Ignore this member   
Ozzy


Needs a job
need guberment cheese
Posts: 3172
posted September 01, 2007 08:13 PM        
I never change it, I just add a qt when it does not show in the site glass. I prefer canola oil, you can get a good buy on it at Costco.
____________
"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses......HIT IT!"
Blues Bros.

  Ignore this member   
wormgear


Expert Class
Posts: 339
posted September 02, 2007 07:26 AM        
Excellent!
____________
GodDamnit there's always such a big temptation to be good, to be good! (Tom Waits)

  Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
BIKELAND > FORUMS > CONCOURS14.com > Thread: When do you change your oil? NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed


Copyright 2000-2026 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.2162389755249 seconds processing time