HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > DRAGBIKE ZONE.com > Thread: Michelin Power One? NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
Shane661


Needs a life
Posts: 11494
posted November 04, 2009 02:41 PM        
Michelin Power One?

Does anyone know the scoop on these tires? It seems that there is a "standard" version that some retailers sell, and it comes in only one compound. Then there are race compound versions.

I saw that Richie was saying they use the street version at the dragstrip. Anyone using this tire, and did they get the race tire...or the standard street/track compound?

Even the Michelin site is confusing on the compounds issue.

Shane

  Ignore this member   
NOX


Needs a job
PMRA / TMRC Super Street 4022
Posts: 3745
posted November 04, 2009 03:01 PM        
call richie

lots of tires will work well on a well prepped smooth track, if you have a good shock.

only a few shine in bad conditions......

the mt was on top, when the track got bad at the last ama event when the track got cold.

several should work well in your application.


____________
42 Wins
21 Runner-ups
2010 TMRC Super Street Points Champion
2010 PMRA Super Street #3 Points
2009 PMRA Super Street Points Runner-Up
6 Time Centerville Dragway Points Champion
Sponsored by:
Scorpion Helmets
Galfer Braking
AMSOIL
Steve's Speed Shop
Kawasaki Sports Center
Mickey Thompson Tires
Catalyst Racing Composites
Conway Cycle
Syed Leathers

  Ignore this member   
Shane661


Needs a life
Posts: 11494
posted November 04, 2009 03:03 PM        Edited By: Shane661 on 4 Nov 2009 23:04
Have you seen the new Shinko? It looks good for drag use...

I have to pick something that will also hold together for LSR stuff...that is why I am thinking of trying the Power One.

  Ignore this member   
14nooby


Zone Head
Posts: 987
posted November 04, 2009 03:04 PM        
Shane I have also heard the same thing. My power one has a large B stamped on the tire which I was told was street compound. I heard that there was A, B and C compounds. I would like to find out also.
  Ignore this member   
Shane661


Needs a life
Posts: 11494
posted November 04, 2009 03:06 PM        
Well, if the street tire hooks for you at 66", it should work for me at 65" as well...I would think.
  Ignore this member   
NOX


Needs a job
PMRA / TMRC Super Street 4022
Posts: 3745
posted November 04, 2009 04:09 PM        
Yes, I have seen the new shinko.

Time will tell on how well it works.


____________
42 Wins
21 Runner-ups
2010 TMRC Super Street Points Champion
2010 PMRA Super Street #3 Points
2009 PMRA Super Street Points Runner-Up
6 Time Centerville Dragway Points Champion
Sponsored by:
Scorpion Helmets
Galfer Braking
AMSOIL
Steve's Speed Shop
Kawasaki Sports Center
Mickey Thompson Tires
Catalyst Racing Composites
Conway Cycle
Syed Leathers

  Ignore this member   
shiphteey


Needs a job
Posts: 2529
posted November 04, 2009 05:39 PM        Edited By: shiphteey on 5 Nov 2009 01:42
Shane, I checked what we had laying around the shop today and at least in a front takeoff Michelin Power One there was an "A" compound, which according to Michelin's site seems to be their softest compound. I can tell you from personal experience I was able to squeeze an entire season out of a Pirelli Supercorsa Pro SC2 rear with street, strip and LSR. Mind you on a stock arm with less torque I would rarely have any wheelspin issues unless it was 2am on a cold night street racing from a dig and spraying 2nd gear...and that was on low tread....but thats a different story...

If we theorize that the Michelin B compound to be near the SC2 that I ran it may be the ticket. It will be very difficult IMO to not only find a rear tire that will stand up to the repeated drag runs you expect from it and LSR. I think the question you should ask yourself is HOW MANY PASSES do you expect to make at the strip in 2010 vs 2009? And how many passes do you think you'll make at Maxton or Loring?

While I do see the need for longer wheelbase guys needing stickier compounds, there is a fine line between just enough grip to last you through the season vs more grip than you need and spinning near the end of the season.

Perhaps once you give us an idea of how many passes you intend to make at each venue more people with drag and lsr experience can chime in. You know me though....I've been happy with the Supercorsas and am reluctant to switch until I see hard numbers or real world back to back testing. FWIW I've only run the SC2 rear compound and they do make an SC1 and SC0. I think the stickiest compounds of all will not last you through the end of the season if you run anywhere near the number of times you did in 09.

I have a feeling the street one will not only be cheaper but may also be lighter than the full on race ones. We can weigh some A compounds at the shop if you want, I'll have to see what rears we have....I got a 180 supercorsa we can compare to whatever you bring, same time, same scales.

A.
____________
Gemini Motorcycles

Topping out everything from Ninja 250s to nitrous ZX-14s.

  Ignore this member   
tshultz


Zone Head
Posts: 556
posted November 04, 2009 07:24 PM        
Shane what tire were u using before??
  Ignore this member   
ninjaboy311


Zone Head
Posts: 940
posted November 05, 2009 02:19 AM        
I talked to Shane via email on Wednesday to clear this up for him. But for those that don't know, the Power One Race Version comes in compounds A/B/C, 'A' being the softest. These Race Version tires are not (shouldn't) being sold to the public. These are sold by race vendors at road race events. From there, they are sold as scuffs, which drag racers, including myself, are using them. The 'A' compound is recommended for stock horsepower bikes or anywhere up to around 220 hp. Not saying they won't hook with more hp, but that is whats recommended if using the Race Version to drag race. I have been using the 'A' compound 180-55 since April with absolutely no issues at all at about 190 RWHP and 69" wheelbase.

The Power One Street Version does not come in different compounds. It is not stamped with any letter on the sidewall such as A/B/C. This is the tire that is sold to the public, such as through Schnitz, etc. This is also the tire that the 400-500 HP Pro Street bikes have been using lately and running 7.20's @ 200+MPH.

I decided to give the Street Version a shot. Mounted it Monday. Going to try it out Friday night for the first time. The carcass is different from the Race Version. It is softer in the middle, and the sidewalls are softer too. I am trying the 190-50 this time. I will post results this weekend. It definitely has a flatter profile than the Race Version. Should be interesting come Friday night. Stay tuned!!
____________


Naarden Speedlinks Sponsored Rider

Schnitz Racing Sponsored Rider

8.74 @ 152 on stock motor and MR9 (Muzzy Powered), 205 lbs suited

  Ignore this member    Click here to visit ninjaboy311's homepage. 
Shane661


Needs a life
Posts: 11494
posted November 05, 2009 07:14 AM        Edited By: Shane661 on 5 Nov 2009 15:19
I just ordered a 180/55 Power One today. We'll see how it compares to the Power Race and Shinko tires I have run in the past.

quote:
Shane what tire were u using before??


Todd, I ran a single Power Race Soft 190/50 this season. I put about 150 dragstrip passes on it, and about 25 miles or so of LSR top speed passes. It still has about 25-35 dragstrip passes left on it.

I try not to overcook the burnout, which helps the tire last.

Shane

  Ignore this member   
KZScott


Needs a life
high on speed
Posts: 7235
posted November 05, 2009 07:17 AM        
forgive me for living under a rock, but whats the new Shinko??
____________
01 ZX-12R 8.84 @ 156.3 no bars, DOT tires. Pump Gas, NA.... turbo 8.47 @ 164.
00 ZX-12R 8.62 @ 165.2 no bars, slicks, Pump Gas, 55 shot.... turbo 8.32 @173
00 ZX-12R Fastest NA Kawasaki in the world 1: 222.046 1.5: 226.390 Loring AFB
00 ZX-12R street turbo 1: 227.9 1.5: 234.1 Loring AFB
00 ZX-12R LSR turbo 1: 263.1 1.5: 266.5 Loring AFB Worlds fastest ZX-12R
CMG Racing RCC Turbos

  Ignore this member   
Shane661


Needs a life
Posts: 11494
posted November 05, 2009 07:18 AM        
quote:
forgive me for living under a rock, but whats the new Shinko??


There is a new Shinko 003 drag radial. It is not the standard Shinko. It weighs 11.x lbs. If you want the full lowdown, check on Psychobike or give Doug Ray a call.

  Ignore this member   
KZScott


Needs a life
high on speed
Posts: 7235
posted November 05, 2009 08:40 AM        
wow! ill be trying one! thats a solid 2 pounds lighter than the u soft isnt it?
____________
01 ZX-12R 8.84 @ 156.3 no bars, DOT tires. Pump Gas, NA.... turbo 8.47 @ 164.
00 ZX-12R 8.62 @ 165.2 no bars, slicks, Pump Gas, 55 shot.... turbo 8.32 @173
00 ZX-12R Fastest NA Kawasaki in the world 1: 222.046 1.5: 226.390 Loring AFB
00 ZX-12R street turbo 1: 227.9 1.5: 234.1 Loring AFB
00 ZX-12R LSR turbo 1: 263.1 1.5: 266.5 Loring AFB Worlds fastest ZX-12R
CMG Racing RCC Turbos

  Ignore this member   
Shane661


Needs a life
Posts: 11494
posted November 05, 2009 08:41 AM        
More than that, Scott. It's in my thread, but I believe I weighed the U-soft at 14-15 lbs.
  Ignore this member   
KZScott


Needs a life
high on speed
Posts: 7235
posted November 05, 2009 08:46 AM        
oh hell yeah, im getting 2
____________
01 ZX-12R 8.84 @ 156.3 no bars, DOT tires. Pump Gas, NA.... turbo 8.47 @ 164.
00 ZX-12R 8.62 @ 165.2 no bars, slicks, Pump Gas, 55 shot.... turbo 8.32 @173
00 ZX-12R Fastest NA Kawasaki in the world 1: 222.046 1.5: 226.390 Loring AFB
00 ZX-12R street turbo 1: 227.9 1.5: 234.1 Loring AFB
00 ZX-12R LSR turbo 1: 263.1 1.5: 266.5 Loring AFB Worlds fastest ZX-12R
CMG Racing RCC Turbos

  Ignore this member   
shiphteey


Needs a job
Posts: 2529
posted November 05, 2009 09:50 AM        
Shane, just talked to the rep of the tire you just got, he said they've only moved a small amount since its new and hasn't heard any info one way or the other on em. Seems like you & Ninjaboy will be able to let us know "wuss good"

I'm bringing in the Supercorsa tomorrow....I'm still skeptical on the weight!

A.
____________
Gemini Motorcycles

Topping out everything from Ninja 250s to nitrous ZX-14s.

  Ignore this member   
Shane661


Needs a life
Posts: 11494
posted November 05, 2009 10:03 AM        Edited By: Shane661 on 5 Nov 2009 18:31
These weights were quoted by Richie, on Psychobike:

160-60-17....10.2
180-55-17.....11.5
190-50-17.....12.2
190-55-17......12.9


----------------------------

By my scales, the Power Race 180/55 and 190/50 were definitely within a couple ounces of each other at 12.5 lbs. These were the Soft compound race tires.

We'll see how the Power One stacks up. I will be bringing a 180 Power Race to compare.

  Ignore this member   
tshultz


Zone Head
Posts: 556
posted November 05, 2009 03:55 PM        
Thanks Shane i was to lazy to page threw your build thread.
I just got a set of extensions and i don't think my michelin pilot powers will hook?

  Ignore this member   
Shane661


Needs a life
Posts: 11494
posted November 05, 2009 03:57 PM        Edited By: Shane661 on 5 Nov 2009 23:58
quote:
Thanks Shane i was to lazy to page threw your build thread.
I just got a set of extensions and i don't think my michelin pilot powers will hook?


Actually they probably will if you are running, say 62" or less? With a decent track, of course...Crotchrocket could tell you for sure.

  Ignore this member   
tshultz


Zone Head
Posts: 556
posted November 05, 2009 04:44 PM        

Actually they probably will if you are running, say 62" or less? With a decent track, of course...Crotchrocket could tell you for sure.


Right now on the stock arm 28psi in the tire it spins so i run 25psi or less then it will hook. Maple grove and Cecil are decent tracks I'll just give it a try.

  Ignore this member   
Shane661


Needs a life
Posts: 11494
posted November 05, 2009 05:12 PM        
That is a lot of tire pressure. When you extend it, drop it to 18 psi and try it.
  Ignore this member   
KZScott


Needs a life
high on speed
Posts: 7235
posted November 05, 2009 05:45 PM        Edited By: KZScott on 6 Nov 2009 01:46
so to those of you who have run more than 1 type of tire, how much et / mph did you gain from dropping a few pounds of rotating weight? if of course you were running under fairly consistant conditions.
i was running a 200 u soft at the end of the season (around 12-14 psi) because my local guy was out of 190s. cant wait to try the drag radial! i bet it will allow a lot more pressure
____________
01 ZX-12R 8.84 @ 156.3 no bars, DOT tires. Pump Gas, NA.... turbo 8.47 @ 164.
00 ZX-12R 8.62 @ 165.2 no bars, slicks, Pump Gas, 55 shot.... turbo 8.32 @173
00 ZX-12R Fastest NA Kawasaki in the world 1: 222.046 1.5: 226.390 Loring AFB
00 ZX-12R street turbo 1: 227.9 1.5: 234.1 Loring AFB
00 ZX-12R LSR turbo 1: 263.1 1.5: 266.5 Loring AFB Worlds fastest ZX-12R
CMG Racing RCC Turbos

  Ignore this member   
Shane661


Needs a life
Posts: 11494
posted November 05, 2009 05:48 PM        
Last year I dropped about 5 lbs. at the end of the season by going to a 12R wheel and lighter tire. The differences, if any, were slight. Being able to run a higher tire pressure would be of more benefit, I believe.

Obviously the physics are there for improvement by reducing rotating mass. But the gains are just one of many little things that lead to a bigger improvement.

Shane

  Ignore this member   
Shane661


Needs a life
Posts: 11494
posted November 06, 2009 07:31 AM        Edited By: Shane661 on 6 Nov 2009 15:32
quote:
Right now on the stock arm 28psi in the tire it spins so i run 25psi or less then it will hook. Maple grove and Cecil are decent tracks I'll just give it a try.


Todd, Madkawboy is running Pilot Powers at over 40 psi on his stock wheelbase 14 and doing low 1.5 60 fts. Perhaps you need to soften the rear suspension a bit so that it will squat more, and bite.

  Ignore this member   
madnessracing


Pro
Vmax and Busa Beater
Posts: 1140
posted November 06, 2009 10:43 AM        
I have the power one on my bike and all i can say is that is the best tire I have ever used!! Here in cali the tracks dont get prepped too good! I had a shinko before and I had to lowered the tire pressure to 9-10lbs and sometimes it would spin now That I got the power one Im running 20lbs and no spin at all sitting at 63"!!!
____________
Shorty's Performance
Team Madness Racing

  Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va [ This thread is 4 pages long: 1  2  3  4     Next» ] < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
BIKELAND > FORUMS > DRAGBIKE ZONE.com > Thread: Michelin Power One? NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed


Copyright 2000-2026 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.21796202659607 seconds processing time