HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX12R ZONE.com > Thread: Oil Filter coming loose!!! NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
ra12r


Zone Head
Posts: 919
posted November 10, 2003 03:19 PM        
Oil Filter coming loose!!!

I had no intention of ever posting about this, but after the 3rd time I am really at a loss. Without anyone assuming the obvious, my oil filter has came loose 3 seperate times while making a pass. All in the last 3 trips to the track. I get about 3-4 passes before the filter backs off at over 140mph!!! I let out of the bike and the rear wheel starts sliding during deceleration causing fish tail,,,oil everywhere,,,,,it is very scarey and I don't know WHY!!!!

I have tightened the filter as tight as it can go prior to each occurrance. Even rechecking after a couple of heat cycles. I have ridden the bike over 100 street miles each time after tightening, then recheck on the morning before the track. Get to the track and at the top end of the track on the 3rd or 4th pass the filter backs off again!!! This repeated experience has robbed me of alot of my security and confidence on my bike. What is going on??? I even wore extra gear yesterday being overly cautious for drama, and then it happened again.......

Has anyone had this experience?!?!?!
____________
All must bow to the "Ra Supremecy"...

  Ignore this member   
wannabe


Pro
Posts: 1931
posted November 10, 2003 03:29 PM        
I've never had it happen to me, but I'm a paranoid bastard. I had nightmares of this happening, so I safety wired my oil filter so that it won't come loose.
  Ignore this member   
zxlnt


Needs a job
Kawpuke Extraordinare
Posts: 2853
posted November 10, 2003 03:30 PM        
OEM filter or a something else????
  Ignore this member   
RAC4IT


Needs a job
Bergie
Posts: 3009
posted November 10, 2003 03:37 PM        
The solution everyone should be using

  Ignore this member   
zxlnt


Needs a job
Kawpuke Extraordinare
Posts: 2853
posted November 10, 2003 03:40 PM        
Yup bet dat works good..

  Ignore this member   
wannabe


Pro
Posts: 1931
posted November 10, 2003 03:41 PM        
Yup, I got my idea from Bergie.
  Ignore this member   
necro


Needs a job
My Grandma Is A Virgin
Posts: 2148
posted November 10, 2003 04:00 PM        
Oh this brings back memories...Oily track, smoke trail, sliding at 120 mph....
____________
3829

  Ignore this member   
TurboBlew


Moderator
BUSY DOING THE SCHIAVO
Posts: 4590
posted November 10, 2003 04:10 PM        
Ive never had that problem in 50,000+ miles. Are you sure you have threads on your oil filters??
Bergies pic is a cheap fix. About $5 total.
____________
Official Charter Member of the RIDERS OF KAWASAKI MEMBERSHIP REVOCATION CLUB
Also a BadAss Internet Forum Moderator 4 Hire!! Come at me brah!

  Ignore this member   
your car is slow


Needs a job
Fuck Nitrous...Got Boost?
Posts: 4089
posted November 10, 2003 04:13 PM        
Ive always handtightened mine....and I swear the sumbitch gets tighter on its own when I try to remove it.
____________
Do not taunt happy fun ball!

  Ignore this member    Click here to send Your Car Is Slow an AIM message. 
MadMike


Moderator
FEAR THE BLACK FLAG!!!!!!!!
Posts: 6579
posted November 10, 2003 04:19 PM        
I had mine come loose at a track one time! and you know what if I would have had an oil diaper on I would not have noticed it untill some serious damage would have been done! but it has only happened to me one time in 4 years of racing? but just for safety I think I am going to do Bergie's Mod!
The Bergie EAST SIIIDDE!! Oil Lock!! Yea, Yea!!
____________
200-MPH CLUB MEMBER!

  Ignore this member    Click here to visit MadMike's homepage. 
necro


Needs a job
My Grandma Is A Virgin
Posts: 2148
posted November 10, 2003 07:42 PM        
The nipple that the oil filter screws to came loose. The oil filter came loose even though it was safety wired.
____________
3829

  Ignore this member   
slug


Pro
Out in search of my mind...
Posts: 1433
posted November 10, 2003 08:56 PM        
greenglenn can confirm that i, too, have had a filter come loose. 3 times in one day.

come to a stop after some spirited riding, and my bike was leaking like a harley


tightened filter to normal spec, gasket touching, + 3/4 turn. rev to mid-band, check for leaks, none, away we went

next stop, SAME thing.

tightened it to star-torque.

next stop, same....

tightened to star torque, then tightened it every stop thereafter.

when i got home i rigged this up



the tie-wraps are cheap and have worked for 3 years now, hook them to fairing mount on side of engine. soo if you don't have safety wire pliers, try tiewraps (and the worm-gear hose clamp too)

  Ignore this member    Click here to send Slug an ICQ message. Click here to add 1734970 to your ICQ list. Click here to visit Slug's homepage. Click here to send Slug an AIM message. 
Ra12r


Zone Head
Posts: 919
posted November 10, 2003 10:42 PM        
OEM filter.....

rac4it,,,,,,that was the exact image that popped into my mind while trying to think of a way to stop it from turning off. I was standing looking at the bike with all the oil dripping out onto the trailor,,,,again,,,,and that picture popped into my head at the track yesterday. That is really dejavue!!!

I feel better that i am not crazy.........

Extremelean, this would be an excellent thing for KMI to upgrade!!!

PS. I noticed my MPH went from 150 then oil filter came loose. Then 144 1st pass yesterday to 140 to 137,,,,,,,oil comes filter loose! 3 times loosing 2-3 quarts of oil i believe has cost me my bearings too?! It blows it out very quickly when you are at 11,000 rpm's. First you feel the bike go kinda flat, but you are near the finish line, then you see some light smoke(but you are moving at over 140mph). So you let off the throttle and the bike speeds up and begins to wobble in the rear, you get on the brakes and the bike gets more crazy, so you pull in the clutch and it speeds up again but straightens out..........lightly on the front brake as control of the bike is really gone and you are just trying to get slowed down. Coasting to a stop you are overwhelmed by smoke coming up around the handle bars. Get off the bike and praise God that you are standing....This has happened 3x seperate times!

Thank you God for your great mercy and hand of protection!!! Amen
____________
All must bow to the "Ra Supremecy"...

  Ignore this member   
TurboBlew


Moderator
BUSY DOING THE SCHIAVO
Posts: 4590
posted November 11, 2003 03:18 AM        Edited By: TurboBlew on 11 Nov 2003 03:21
You could always spend the money for this
[url]http://www.muzzys.com/ZX12_oil_relocator/index.html[/url
____________
Official Charter Member of the RIDERS OF KAWASAKI MEMBERSHIP REVOCATION CLUB
Also a BadAss Internet Forum Moderator 4 Hire!! Come at me brah!

  Ignore this member   
Ninjaman12R


Needs a job
as a Deal's Gap tour guide.
Posts: 4767
posted November 11, 2003 06:17 AM        
Clever....

bergie, that's a damned good idea my man!!!

BTW, I ALWAYS tighten my filters with a wrench. I've never had the filter on my 12 to come loose, but over the years I've had it happen to me. That's why I started using a wrench.
____________

What we're dealin' with here is a complete lack of respect for the law.

Sheriff Buford T. Justice of TEXAS

  Ignore this member   
your car is slow


Needs a job
Fuck Nitrous...Got Boost?
Posts: 4089
posted November 11, 2003 07:04 AM        
hehe..they make you do the hoseclamp dillyo at maxton to get through tech
____________
Do not taunt happy fun ball!

  Ignore this member    Click here to send Your Car Is Slow an AIM message. 
wannabe


Pro
Posts: 1931
posted November 11, 2003 09:14 AM        
quote:
You could always spend the money for this
http://www.muzzys.com/ZX12_oil_relocator/index.html




But, how does that keep your oil filter from coming off? It just moves it so that the oil will spooge all over a different part of your bike when the filter comes loose.

  Ignore this member   
keith


Expert Class
Posts: 155
posted November 11, 2003 09:49 AM        
This is news to me guys - even as a Kawasaki dealer. In four seasons of competition with my 12 it hasn't happened YET. I like Bergies idea and will definitely fit it to my 12 for next year. Woah - oil filter undoing at 200 mph plus - no way - the coolant spilling over the back wheel was too much for me! Coolant is slippery but oil is deadly. Keith
  Ignore this member   
RAC4IT


Needs a job
Bergie
Posts: 3009
posted November 11, 2003 10:04 AM        
FWIW that photo has been on my website for almost three years... It's a standard roadracing oil filter safety wiring technique, I can't take credit for thinking of it, rather I just incorporated it into my land speed racing safety check. I hope it helps your situation as it's helped me, I try to share stuff as I learn it. See you guys in the ville this weekend!!
  Ignore this member   
Hells Dark Lord


Needs a life
living life, and loving it.
Posts: 7981
posted November 11, 2003 07:30 PM        
the safty wired hose clamped oil filter is a must do for the roadracing circut....hell we have to do that on bikes here just for trackdays....good idea, cheap insurance....
____________
When in doubt, lean farther and go faster....

  Ignore this member   
your car is slow


Needs a job
Fuck Nitrous...Got Boost?
Posts: 4089
posted November 12, 2003 08:32 AM        
Heh..changed the oil last night...had to clamp a large wrench on the filter to get the sumbitch off....wtf is causing you guys' filters from coming loose for no reason?
____________
Do not taunt happy fun ball!

  Ignore this member    Click here to send Your Car Is Slow an AIM message. 
k bryant


Needs a job
Sponsor
Posts: 2911
posted November 12, 2003 11:06 AM        
ycis - I agree with your earlier response - it does seem to get tighter. I've always put on by hand (finger on a film of oil on the o-ring). Always have to use my filter remover tool to take off. Never been able to loosen by hand after it's been run.
  Ignore this member    Click here to visit K Bryant's homepage. 
Y2KZX12R


Needs a job
CompetitionCNC.com
Posts: 3762
posted November 12, 2003 01:53 PM        
Yea I have to put a wrench on it usually too.
____________
Y2KZX12R
CompetitionCNC.com

  Ignore this member    Click here to visit Y2KZX12R's homepage. 
Y2KZX12R


Needs a job
CompetitionCNC.com
Posts: 3762
posted November 12, 2003 02:04 PM        
have you guys ever noticed how the steel crimped rim of the filter wont let you over tighten it? It bottoms out and thats it. Lube it yup well and it bottoms out rather easily. I doubt if its possable to overtighten it by hand...?
I've never had one come loose or leak. But the band clamp and safety wire is pretty standard anywhere. Even saw it on the 7 year old kids go-cart class, racing the 5hp honda ohc engines. Now thats friggin fun to watch.
Some of the fathers are unreal how serious they are with these kids. Nice enclosed car trailers with workshops, tv's, generators, just like at the adult tracks.
____________
Y2KZX12R
CompetitionCNC.com

  Ignore this member    Click here to visit Y2KZX12R's homepage. 
Megabyte


Pro
Posts: 1047
posted November 12, 2003 02:35 PM        
quote:
ycis - I agree with your earlier response - it does seem to get tighter. I've always put on by hand (finger on a film of oil on the o-ring). Always have to use my filter remover tool to take off. Never been able to loosen by hand after it's been run.


Same here !

____________
We First make our habits and then our habits make us.

  Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va [ This thread is 2 pages long: 1  2     Next» ] < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX12R ZONE.com > Thread: Oil Filter coming loose!!! NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed


Copyright 2000-2026 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.23533201217651 seconds processing time