aliveagain

Needs a life
Posts: 5033
|
posted September 15, 2003 09:09 PM
cost of labor
Tossing around the idea of a 1270 kit or a 1375 stroker and don't get straight answers on the cost to do the job.How much should I expect to shell out?I haven't heard anyone mention about cam chain tensioners lately,should I include it?And I need to have the cams degreed.
____________
I wondered why the baseball kept getting bigger. Then it hit me.
|
entropy
Moderator
Posts: 8671
|
posted September 16, 2003 12:40 AM
a manual chain tensioner is normally used to replace the OEM when building the motor, although I am not sure if it is absolutely necessary.
On the other hand, adjustable cam sprockets & cam timing are required.
The cost of R&R for 1375 is significantly more than 1290; gotta split the cases & new bearings.
Gonna have the head disassembled? checked? I sure would. I didn't have it torn down once (gas in ports, no leaks, OK right?) and paid a real hefty price when it dropped a valve on the dyno soon afterwards.
Gonna have the trans spruced up? shift forks? as long as you are in there?
$500 - $1500 for labor depending upon yr builder and scope of the job???
Do get someone who really knows what they are doing; there is an experience factor here which can save you money in the long run.
____________
This moderator uses moderation in moderation
|
Hells Dark Lord

Needs a life
living life, and loving it.
Posts: 7981
|
posted September 16, 2003 03:20 AM
hey alive, holler at kcadby, he should be able to give you an idea of how much a reputable builder will charge for the kind of build up like you are talking about......along with all of the must do upgrades, and should do upgrades.....
____________
When in doubt, lean farther and go faster....
|
TurboBlew

Moderator
BUSY DOING THE SCHIAVO
Posts: 4590
|
posted September 16, 2003 04:29 AM
Count on 15-20hrs when its all said and done.
|
aliveagain

Needs a life
Posts: 5033
|
posted September 16, 2003 01:09 PM
When I added in a exhaust pipe,I was told at least 5000-6000 quag for the 1270 kit and more for the 1375.I don't know if he thought I was just blowing smoke and just chasing me away.When I heard that price,I thought maybe I would be better of buying a used bike with those mods or waiting for the ZX1000R.Thanx Entropy,I didn't think about the shifting forks.I have 16000 around town miles on the bike.Exactly what is involved in checking the head?
____________
I wondered why the baseball kept getting bigger. Then it hit me.
|
kcadby

Pro
Posts: 1733
|
posted September 16, 2003 04:30 PM
"Multiple thousands" if you go with Carrillo rods and head work...
15-20 hours is LOW for the way we do strokers...
You could probly build a 1270/1290 for around $2,500 (parts included) if you don't touch the head...mapping included...
As stated above...it would cost at LEAST $1,500 just for labor for a stroker motor...MORE if we do it here...
|
jimp
Expert Class
Posts: 291
|
posted September 16, 2003 04:55 PM
Find someone you can trust and knows what they doing, I never ask for a price if I trust them.
____________
Where's my 14 ???
|
aliveagain

Needs a life
Posts: 5033
|
posted September 16, 2003 06:00 PM
I see alot of people have Carrillo rods in their motors,has there been a problem with reliability in stock rods or is it just to lighten the rotating mass?I still don't understand touching up the head.1270,you are still using the same redline and 2mm bigger,1375,redlines at a lower rpm,I thought the general rule was to leave the head alone.Idon't plan on any serious racing,just the viagra effect.Would you recommend C-rods still?Ithank everyone for their input.Right now,I'm doing some numbers crunching to see what I can do along with a new truck.
____________
I wondered why the baseball kept getting bigger. Then it hit me.
|
Horsepower
Parking Attendant
Posts: 22
|
posted September 17, 2003 05:03 AM
Aliveagain; Mike here from Horsepower Unlimited. I have done a bunch of the 1270's for 1400 - 1500 installed. The stock rods are fine. You can put the Carillo rods in if you want, but they will cost you 800, plus there is clearancing that needs to be done with a stroker crank. I useually do a 5mm stroker with the 1270, and you get a 1385. I have 2 stroker cranks in stock. Figure 3800 - 4300 for the complete 1385 Installed in your bike. You can do head work if you like, but you can make a lot of hp with a stock head. You could clean the head up good for 500. You can call me at 615-824-6116, and I will be happy to discuss things with you. Mike.
|
entropy
Moderator
Posts: 8671
|
posted September 17, 2003 04:38 PM
quote: ...,1375 redlines at a lower rpm.....
no, no, no...
1200, 1270, 1290, 1375, 1425 all have the same 11.6 redline.
____________
This moderator uses moderation in moderation
|
aliveagain

Needs a life
Posts: 5033
|
posted September 17, 2003 06:19 PM
I stand corrected.Thanx Mike I'll call tomorrow.
____________
I wondered why the baseball kept getting bigger. Then it hit me.
|
|
|