HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX12R ZONE.com > Thread: Breakin it in? NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
marv


Novice Class
Posts: 45
posted September 15, 2003 04:26 PM        
Breakin it in?

Now I've heard of many diffrent way's to break a bike in. But now I want to hear from the ZX12 Experts, What the best way?

  Ignore this member   
frEEk


Administrator
ummm... yeah
Posts: 9660
posted September 15, 2003 05:10 PM        
"INCOMING!! TAKE COVER!!"

i aint gonan give u my opinion cause i dont have enough experience to have oen worth shit, but ur not liekly to get a consistent answer on this one. many different opinions on which is better. but liekly the most common opinion u'll read here is to jsut follow Kawasaki's instructions. most common, but DEFINITELY not the only one. people have had success using abotu every method u could dream of.

  Ignore this member    Click here to visit frEEk's homepage. 
necro


Needs a job
My Grandma Is A Virgin
Posts: 2148
posted September 15, 2003 07:50 PM        
I've been doing a research on the subject myself. I am a member of SAE (Society Of Automotive Engineers), so I get a lot of catalogues. I bought few papers that discuss breaking-in and surface conditions after various treatments/honing methods.

The only reliable thing that I could say of sure is that most of the breaking-in takes place very early on in the life of the engine. What I mean by "early" is few (2 or 3) hours.
____________
3829

  Ignore this member   
k bryant


Needs a job
Sponsor
Posts: 2911
posted September 15, 2003 08:19 PM        
I've always been a believer in breaking them in by the book, just like the OEM wants you to. As such, I've had no problems, long life, and max hp. Just can't go wrong with the guys who've designed it. But I'm sure you'll gets lots of different opinions by all the experts...

Necro - I'm on the SAE tech committee for Spark Arrestor approvals, designs, test procedures, etc. You belong to any segment in particular? Or are you simply a member? I don't meet many people "socially" who belong.

  Ignore this member    Click here to visit K Bryant's homepage. 
entropy


Moderator
Posts: 8671
posted September 16, 2003 12:51 AM        Edited By: entropy on 16 Sep 2003 01:53
brand new bike:
why not put on the recommended miles, as in addition to the motor you are breaking in/ checking every part on the bike: electrics, tires, loose bolts, chain alignment, anything adjustable, fluids, and especially the rider.

fresh motor only:
OEM R&R or "built"? intended use? You are in the land frEEk refers to as "INCOMING TAKE COVER" wrt opinions ranging from motoman's to manual.
____________
This moderator uses moderation in moderation

  Ignore this member   
Hells Dark Lord


Needs a life
living life, and loving it.
Posts: 7981
posted September 16, 2003 03:13 AM        
i tried to follow the manufacturers break in recommendations..and did for the most part....I took a road trip up to Hotlanta when it was a week old, that was the first 600 miles on the bike....after that I just rode it, but didnt take it to the race track or anything like that untill it had over 2000 miles on it....runs very strong now, and i have had NO trouble out of it in 14000 miles.....did the 600 basically the same way, adn it has 18800 miles o it with no troubles, still has the original chain and sprockets on it too...both bike do....just have to stay on top of things...change the oil regularly, and inspect the oil that you take out.....I changed the oil every 500 miles through out the first 2000 miles just to keep and eye on what was going on....all I can sy is it worked for me.....but its a street motor, not a race motor.....
____________
When in doubt, lean farther and go faster....

  Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX12R ZONE.com > Thread: Breakin it in? NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed


Copyright 2000-2026 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.20747184753418 seconds processing time