HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX12R ZONE.com > Thread: It's that quiet time... NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
swft


Needs a life
Full throttle!
Posts: One MEEEEEELLION
posted August 15, 2003 06:15 AM        
It's that quiet time...

Of the morning, when most of the world is still getting up. Sitting here, looking out over the backyard, I have to wonder, where did all the time go? It just seems a few days ago when I last talked to my friend. Shared a joke with him, talked about life in general and plans for the future. But I sit here today in full knowledge that he's not around anymore, and that I'll always miss him. Maybe it's just me, but as the rest of my world around me wakes up, I kinda take solace in the fact that yes, the world does continue on. Folks marry, kids are born. They grow up and have kids of their own... Grandparents smile as their kids talk about *their* kids... And remember back, to those times with their kids, and when they were in the flush of youth themselves. Kinda rambling here, but in a good way. This world, despite all the bad things going on, is still just such a wonderful place to live in. I thank God for it all.

  Ignore this member   
jonwright


Needs a job
Posts: 2416
posted August 15, 2003 06:31 AM        
Werd.
  Ignore this member   
swft


Needs a life
Full throttle!
Posts: One MEEEEEELLION
posted August 15, 2003 06:36 AM        
Heh. Don't you work?
  Ignore this member   
EastBayDave


Needs a job
Posts: 2245
posted August 15, 2003 07:03 AM        
...as bad as things can get (Don, other); I'm grateful for the things we have...

Can you imagine what it would be like to NOT have the ZX12R? To not be able to RIDE?!??? We are a select few in this big wide world of ours among billions. Friggin' lucky we are man...

early morning is my favorite time too...
____________
Enjoy the ride!
02' ZRX1200
00' ZX12R sold

  Ignore this member   
fish_antlers


Administrator
The Truth is Out There
Posts: 21896
posted August 15, 2003 08:35 AM        
The story of this site and that bike is even more bizarre! We are lucky!
  Ignore this member    Click here to visit fish_antlers's homepage. 
worm~hole


Needs a life
Miles to go before I sleep....
Posts: 10623
posted August 15, 2003 10:03 AM        Edited By: worm~hole on 15 Aug 2003 11:06
...just about every morning...at about 3 or 4 o'clock...while I'm on my one-hour drive home in darkness...sometimes, eerily the only one on a 4-lane freeway...often times the only one a twisty two-lane blacktop...just me and my dog breathing by my right ear...trees, guardrails, and sides of hills whizzing by...the occassional early morning chatter on the radio...time to turn the 'noise' down now, leave other people's problems behind... turn off the ear-piece, dim the equipment lights...I'm EOS...time to go home, to bed...

...and while on this and countless past drives home...I reflect upon the night's work and experience...some nights are very easy...some nights are very bad...some nights are very sad...some pretty funny stuff...some pretty frustrating stuff...some pretty routine and boring stuff...and some close calls...and I think: if not for the grace of God...

...and often times I think of my family and friends...of recent trips and encounters with families and friends...of the warm anticipation of seeing them again...I smile a melancholy smile...

...and I sometimes think of the people I've met on the job...of those whom I'll probably never see again...and wonder: will they make it?...are they going to be ok?...

...sometimes I think of what I do, of what I've chosen to do with my life...and of this dog breathing next to my right ear...of the ultimate sacrifice he may offer me one day...of the sacrifice I may offer him one day...

...yup, early mornings...when its just me and my thoughts...is the best time...

...thanks for sharing, swft
____________
“We sleep safe in our beds because rough men
stand ready in the night to visit violence on those
who would do us harm.”

-George Orwell

  Ignore this member   
swft


Needs a life
Full throttle!
Posts: One MEEEEEELLION
posted August 15, 2003 03:04 PM        
Worm,

Your words are almost poetry to another dog person. That special bond you share really shines when you right about times like that.

  Ignore this member   
worm~hole


Needs a life
Miles to go before I sleep....
Posts: 10623
posted August 15, 2003 07:34 PM        Edited By: worm~hole on 15 Aug 2003 20:36
...and to think...no...to know...that he has only about five more years to live with me...to play with me...to work with me, and to go willingly out there when its too dark, too narrow, too steep, or too dangerous for us humans...to do his job without any hint of fear...to selflessly protect me and others...

...to realize that when it is all said and done...after 10-plus years together...this dog...this faithful companion...this fearless beat partner...this watchful and ever vigilant buddy who searches my face and my eyes...and looks at me with his own purposeful golden eyes...who silently knows what I'm thinking, what I'm feeling, how I'm feeling, what I'm about to do...after ten years...believe me when I say that when his time comes near, I'm going to be a mess......I know we'll want more, but we'll both know...we'll both accept that it was all we had...and that we had it good...

...and I know that I will miss the reassuring feel of his massive head resting on my right shoulder on the countless drives home...I will miss his dog-breath that I once noticed...and the occassional headbutt or nuzzle he'd offer to tell me that everything's okay...and I'll try to remember...as I approach the end of my watch without him...that everything's okay...I, too, will know that life goes on...
____________
“We sleep safe in our beds because rough men
stand ready in the night to visit violence on those
who would do us harm.”

-George Orwell

  Ignore this member   
swft


Needs a life
Full throttle!
Posts: One MEEEEEELLION
posted August 15, 2003 07:56 PM        
As my dog approaches his twilight, I often think back on all the wonderful times we've shared. He's been to both coasts, from the heat of a Las Vegas summer to the cold of a upperstate New York winter, and in between. He's been my best friend and companion through a dozen years now. In many ways, he helped shape my life. When I got him, some of my goals had to change, for the better. Having a dog drove me towards getting a house, which drove me towards a better job, etc. All you married guys out there know what I mean, I'm sure. I haven't had *anyone* be a part of my daily life for this long. And after he's gone, will I get another dog? Hard to say. All in it's good time I suppose. But like worm says, I'll be a mess.
  Ignore this member   
swft


Needs a life
Full throttle!
Posts: One MEEEEEELLION
posted August 16, 2003 06:33 PM        
Got him back on Nutro. He's back to being a rompy happy dog. Lots lots less gas too. Whew!
  Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX12R ZONE.com > Thread: It\'s that quiet time... NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed


Copyright 2000-2026 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.27595591545105 seconds processing time