HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX12R ZONE.com > Thread: the leonids coming, leonids coming! NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
Otis


Needs a job
Captain Kickstand
Posts: 3028
posted November 13, 2001 09:30 AM        Edited By: Otis on 13 Nov 2001 09:35
The Leonids are coming, the Leonids are coming!

I'm an Astronomy buff and because this is a pretty big event I thought I'd waste some space on a motorcycle board to inform all of you about the Leonid Meteor shower that's coming Sunday early morning. This is predicted to be the biggest in 35 years. You see the earth passes close to and through the dust trail of Comet Tempel-Tuttle that itself passes the eart every 33 years. When the earth goes through the dust trail we get awesome meteors (or shooting stars for the layperson). Some years are a bust and some are good, well this year the earth is in the best possible position to get "bathed" in dust particles cause in some parts of the world a predicted 8000 meteors per hour! Well, you'd have to go to the other side of the planet for those kind of numbers but here in north america it may be around 1000 per hour. Pretty awesome. Now, some of you may not give a crap and that's cool but trust me, if you have kids, or want to see an awesome sight, get outside between 4am and 6 am Sunday morning to check it out.

Here is a link to a webpage on Space.com,

http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/astronomy/leonids_citytimes-1.html

check it out and click on your city or one close to you and it will give you predictions on the approximate number of meteors per every 15 minutes and the time. For example for Detroit at 5:15am there is a prediction on one set of criteria for 194 per 15 minutes and the high end of 425 per 15 minutes.

Anyway, I'll be setting my alarm clock for 4am and sitting in my lawn chair, new moon too so it will be very dark, optimal time.
____________
It's a free country brother

  Ignore this member   
Ninjaman12R


Needs a job
as a Deal's Gap tour guide.
Posts: 4767
posted November 13, 2001 09:38 AM        
I can see the glue has called you back.....

Pretty interesting stuff Otis.
____________

What we're dealin' with here is a complete lack of respect for the law.

Sheriff Buford T. Justice of TEXAS

  Ignore this member   
22348bCVC


Zone Head
Posts: 798
posted November 13, 2001 10:04 AM        
...cool, Otis...many many times, I'll go out to the dark side of my beat when its a really quiet night (almost zero ambient lighting,too), bust out the binos, and just scan and stare out to space...its a magnificent wonder, ain't it?...way too cool...Stephen Hawkins is one of my heroes, too (makes me think the impossible IS possible, that the improbable IS probable)
____________
...just relax...my dog wants to use only one of your legs...

  Ignore this member   
ddpete3


Pro
Posts: 1189
posted November 13, 2001 10:45 AM        
I saw it on the news last night...the woman and I were planning on going and catching some....

When I was growing up, my grandmother would always let me know when the meteor showers were going to be and we'd hang out on the front lawn together and watch.

nano...where is there no ambiant light around here?

____________
My name is Doug, damnit!

  Ignore this member    Click here to visit ddpete3's homepage. 
Otis


Needs a job
Captain Kickstand
Posts: 3028
posted November 13, 2001 10:58 AM        
Stephen Hawkins is one of my heroes, too

Me too. Read most of his books. Some of them are WAY over my head but I like them nonetheless.
____________
It's a free country brother

  Ignore this member   
Lorcan


Expert Class
Posts: 327
posted November 13, 2001 11:07 AM        
For such a hero, it's a shame you can't get his name right. It's Stephen Hawking, not Hawkins.

http://www.hawking.org.uk

____________
810cc - 211mph: www.750turbo.com

  Ignore this member    Click here to visit Lorcan's homepage. 
Otis


Needs a job
Captain Kickstand
Posts: 3028
posted November 13, 2001 11:36 AM        
quote:
For such a hero, it's a shame you can't get his name right. It's Stephen Hawking, not Hawkins.



Damn, tough crowd....
____________
It's a free country brother

  Ignore this member   
Ninjaman12R


Needs a job
as a Deal's Gap tour guide.
Posts: 4767
posted November 13, 2001 11:56 AM        
You DUMBasses !!!!!

quote:
For such a hero, it's a shame you can't get his name right. It's Stephen Hawking, not Hawkins.

http://www.hawking.org.uk




Yeah C!!!! What's up with that????? Fuckin' prime candidate for "Hooked on Phonics" if I ever saw one. LOL
____________

What we're dealin' with here is a complete lack of respect for the law.

Sheriff Buford T. Justice of TEXAS

  Ignore this member   
zxlnt


Needs a job
Kawpuke Extraordinare
Posts: 2853
posted November 13, 2001 01:44 PM        
Otis you have a telescope? I used to have a Celestron C5 one of the old orange tube scopes. Schmidt Cassegrain type. It burned up in the house fire and I have never gotten around to buying another one. I only need 3 or 4 different types ya know. An 8 or 11 inch Schmidt Cassegrain for portability and general viewing. A 16 inch Newtonian for deep sky stuff. A 6 inch refractor(Takahashi) for planets and lunar stuff. But I guess for now stuck with Binoculars. Too cheap to fork out the bucks for a new scope but it has always been fun to play around with.
  Ignore this member   
22348bCVC


Zone Head
Posts: 798
posted November 13, 2001 04:04 PM        Edited By: 22348bCVC on 13 Nov 2001 16:14
I'M SUCH A DUMBASS...I'm indeed shamed...fuck you...Sanchez Klaus iS also another one of my heroes...but you know what I mean (heh heh)

...ddpete...go out to Rancho Santa Fe...it gets pretty dark out there...shoot, go up to Palomar!!!...its always dark up there...
____________
...just relax...my dog wants to use only one of your legs...

  Ignore this member   
12RPilot


Pro
Posts: 1094
posted November 13, 2001 07:26 PM        
This one horse town may not have much but at least we have an observatory and astronomy club. Like my bike, I can never afford what I really want in a scope. You can really go nuts. CCD anyone?
____________
If you aren't an AMA member, you're part of the problem.
NESBA #209

http://www.bikepics.com/members/12rpilot/04zx10r/

  Ignore this member    Click here to send 12RPilot an ICQ message. Click here to add 1781480 to your ICQ list. 
ddpete3


Pro
Posts: 1189
posted November 16, 2001 11:42 AM        
The woman and I are going to head out to the mountains and go camping this saturday so we can check them out...
____________
My name is Doug, damnit!

  Ignore this member    Click here to visit ddpete3's homepage. 
BRUCE


Parking Attendant
Posts: 6
posted November 16, 2001 12:47 PM        
Heck I just got at 10" dob. from Orion last week!
  Ignore this member   
ddpete3


Pro
Posts: 1189
posted November 16, 2001 01:41 PM        
gonna head out here
http://www.co.san-diego.ca.us/cnty/cntydepts/landuse/parks/camping/agua_caliente/agua_caliente.html

should be far enough to get out of most of the light polution
____________
My name is Doug, damnit!

  Ignore this member    Click here to visit ddpete3's homepage. 
22348bCVC


Zone Head
Posts: 798
posted November 16, 2001 02:53 PM        
...good idea, ddpete, have fun...I have to work the next day, but I'll take a trip up Palomar early Sunday for my show...
____________
...just relax...my dog wants to use only one of your legs...

  Ignore this member   
harryzx-12


Needs a job
Posts: 3643
posted November 16, 2001 04:46 PM        
quote:
I'M SUCH A DUMBASS...I'm indeed shamed...fuck you...Sanchez Klaus iS also another one of my heroes...but you know what I mean


Damn, that's just how I would have responded 22348bCVC , Especially the FUCK YOU part! LOL

I think I'll get up if the weather is going to be clear.


____________
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways- Body thoroughly used up, totally worn out...Screaming "WOO HOO, What a Ride !!!"

  Ignore this member   
frEEk


Administrator
ummm... yeah
Posts: 9660
posted November 17, 2001 12:05 AM        
hmm, im almost the other side of the earth. so will it rock here? 7pm, should b reasonably dark by then. would b cool to see, but i jsut know ill ferget. besides, the ambient light isnt exactly low around here
  Ignore this member    Click here to visit frEEk's homepage. 
22348bCVC


Zone Head
Posts: 798
posted November 17, 2001 07:33 AM        
..harry...I think you're a bad influence...but this time bad means good ...woohoo!!!!...heading up to Palomar or out to the desert tonite to ponder Steven Harkins and the Brief History of Time...WOOHOOO!!!
____________
...just relax...my dog wants to use only one of your legs...

  Ignore this member   
fish_antlers


Administrator
The Truth is Out There
Posts: 21896
posted November 17, 2001 04:02 PM        
We cant wait to see this tonite! Last big thing I saw was re-rentry of a Russian satellite a few years back... was VERY spectacular! .. Looked like the end of the world! Giant flaming ball with a mile long trail went from one horizon to the other with a giant sonic boom! Hopefully see some cool action tonite!
  Ignore this member    Click here to visit fish_antlers's homepage. 
22348bCVC


Zone Head
Posts: 798
posted November 17, 2001 05:51 PM        
...me, too!...me, too!...woohoo!!!!!...nothing like traveling through some asstriod belt, huh Lorcan?
____________
...just relax...my dog wants to use only one of your legs...

  Ignore this member   
ZX12R


Novice Class
Posts: 86
posted November 17, 2001 07:03 PM        
Welcome to Planet 12.
  Ignore this member   
DaveInDaytona


Pro
Posts: 1696
posted November 18, 2001 03:20 AM        
Just came in from wathing the show. It was pretty amazing. Unlike most of the other predictions of heavy activity this one paid off. Very cool.

Now how many others here had the sound of the ocean in the background for the show ?

Dave
____________
DaytonaSportbikes Forum

  Ignore this member    Click here to send DaveInDaytona an AIM message. 
Y2KZX12R


Needs a job
CompetitionCNC.com
Posts: 3762
posted November 18, 2001 03:44 PM        
Dave, I didnt have ocean sounds but the water was warm and splashing. I even shut the pumps off and just laid back and enjoyed the quietness of the woods around my house.
There was an owl working the tall forest behind the shop. And some cyotes in the field.

But the show was great!
____________
Y2KZX12R
CompetitionCNC.com

  Ignore this member    Click here to visit Y2KZX12R's homepage. 
All times are America/Va < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX12R ZONE.com > Thread: the leonids coming, leonids coming! NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed


Copyright 2000-2026 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.21686506271362 seconds processing time