mouton38
Parking Attendant
Posts: 7
|
posted April 30, 2009 10:41 AM
Gearing
I have a 240kit that's geared with a 17front sprocket. The kit came with a 45 rear sprocket. I think it needs to be a 47 or 48 to be able run at least 5 gears in 1/4 mile.
____________
Kollen Mouton
BusaKilla
|
KZScott

Needs a life
high on speed
Posts: 7235
|
posted April 30, 2009 05:30 PM
is that a question?
____________
01 ZX-12R 8.84 @ 156.3 no bars, DOT tires. Pump Gas, NA.... turbo 8.47 @ 164.
00 ZX-12R 8.62 @ 165.2 no bars, slicks, Pump Gas, 55 shot.... turbo 8.32 @173
00 ZX-12R Fastest NA Kawasaki in the world 1: 222.046 1.5: 226.390 Loring AFB
00 ZX-12R street turbo 1: 227.9 1.5: 234.1 Loring AFB
00 ZX-12R LSR turbo 1: 263.1 1.5: 266.5 Loring AFB Worlds fastest ZX-12R
CMG Racing RCC Turbos
|
mouton38
Parking Attendant
Posts: 7
|
posted April 30, 2009 06:36 PM
I didn't know this was english class. I thought I would receive a comment about the statement. Anyway, what do you recommend for my set up????
____________
Kollen Mouton
BusaKilla
|
mouton38
Parking Attendant
Posts: 7
|
posted April 30, 2009 06:51 PM
I didn't know this was english class. I thought I would receive a comment about the statement. Anyway, what do you recommend for my set up????
____________
Kollen Mouton
BusaKilla
|
entropy
Moderator
Posts: 8671
|
posted May 01, 2009 09:03 AM
mouton,
what mph (more or less) are you getting in the 1/4 mile?
17/49, 50, 51, 52 all could work to cross the line in top of 5th, depending on how fast yr bike is.
Houston guy, eh?
I'm down in Mo City
____________
This moderator uses moderation in moderation
|
Stuart Racing

Zone Head
N.H.R.A . Dragracing.
Posts: 999
|
posted May 01, 2009 09:59 AM
I would think somewhere around what entropy just suggested would work just fine...I`m running 17/51 with a 200 SHINKO tire and stock motor.....Going through in 5th gear....
____________
Life in the Fast Lane..........
|
mouton38
Parking Attendant
Posts: 7
|
posted May 01, 2009 11:03 AM
quote: mouton,
what mph (more or less) are you getting in the 1/4 mile?
17/49, 50, 51, 52 all could work to cross the line in top of 5th, depending on how fast yr bike is.
Houston guy, eh?
I'm down in Mo City
____________
Kollen Mouton
BusaKilla
|
mouton38
Parking Attendant
Posts: 7
|
posted May 01, 2009 11:25 AM
On the 1/4 mile i didn't really look. I think it was around 135 or 140. on another forum there was some guys talking abou 16/46 gearing running 6 gears in the 1/4. Also heard if you go low on your front sprocket you risk breaking your chain. What's the truth. I also have spray 40 shot wet but hadn't got the other bugs worked out yet.
____________
Kollen Mouton
BusaKilla
|
biggmoinc

Zone Head
Posts: 747
|
posted May 01, 2009 05:08 PM
I run the 17t front n 47t rear on my 240 tire kit. I think on a stock extended bike they drop 1 n go up 4 which would b 2.88. But since u got the kit i would think u automatically dropped 1 in the front but also went from a 17 to an 18 inch rim on the back, so to get close to that gearing (2.82) u would have to keep the 17t n put a 48 on urs. I dont believe they even made a smaller offset sprocket for the tire kit for our bikes. Also ur miles per hour would b more at a certain rpm over stock tires (11k - 17/49 - 171mph) stock tires> (11k - 17/49 - 176mph) 240 tire, but ur roll out would take longer to get there. What tire u runnin, the pirelli? I see shinko now makes the 240 also. The metzler never hooked up well for me, mayb cause its more of a touring tire. Hope the info helps, i know it might have been a little hard to follow
____________
07 ZX14 bmc filter, muzzy m14, 16/44,66",auto shift, 6'3, 204lbs/1.54/3.99/6.03@120/7.8/9.32@147
biggmo@aol.com
|
mouton38
Parking Attendant
Posts: 7
|
posted May 01, 2009 08:39 PM
Hey thanks, u hit on a lot of points that was thinking too. I just ordred a 48t. I'm already 17t in the front.
I'm running a dunlop tire. I ran low pressure and still couldn't get it to hook up. I also had some clutch issues
too. When I tried to launch at only 5 grand felt like the clutches were skipping. I was told to go Back with
Stock clutches. I dynoed and mapped at 159 hp to rear wheel. Whatcha think?
____________
Kollen Mouton
BusaKilla
|
biggmoinc

Zone Head
Posts: 747
|
posted May 02, 2009 04:40 AM
Edited By: biggmoinc on 2 May 2009 12:43
Mine had 161 wit pipe n pc without the 240, so i would say yes ur good, however some on this forum would say something different. It dont matter much on dyno, mph in the quarter is what i was told that tells everything, but i could b wrong. I just changed my clutches cause of slippage at high rpms, i went wit stock n 6 brock springs, lever is tight, lol, but oh well. I also got my stack height at 57.4 or something like that, its on the tall side, my clutch was a problem for years just now getting it right, n the worse part is i had to do it myself, the engine was built twice n both mechanics left them alone sayin they were in specs but when i checked the height it was 56 even. That is shorter than specs. I had a muzzy kit in it so i ended up swapping to oem fibers n swapping a few steels to makeup the difference for the stack height. Hasnt slipped yet, fingers crossed, lol. U got any pics of ur bike posted yet? I had a 48 on mine n went to a 46, now i got a 47, its ok for the highway riding, i think when i figured it out it was like 3 or 4 mph difference wit every tooth up in the back at a givin RPM. I think i read if u go to low of a sprocket in the front the natural bend of the chain is comprimised, maybe not in those words but u could search for it. Lots of info on this forum n I have asked alot of questions, lol. Sometimes even the same questions over again. But most of the guys r real cool n knowledgable, unlike the KATRIDERS forum my boy just joined, he put pics of his kat 600 wit a 240 kit n they were bashin him bad. Didnt believe him either. Forums should support not b negative, Check me out on Myspace/biggmoinc. Also for ur clutch problem, it may just need adjustment, Everyone says go exactly by the manual.
____________
07 ZX14 bmc filter, muzzy m14, 16/44,66",auto shift, 6'3, 204lbs/1.54/3.99/6.03@120/7.8/9.32@147
biggmo@aol.com
|
biggmoinc

Zone Head
Posts: 747
|
posted May 02, 2009 04:49 AM
Here is a good calculator for u to find out what speed u will be at at a given rpm. U can select ur tire size n what gear n everything. All u need is :
Primary 1.596
4th gear 1.250
5th 1.130
6th 1.033
final 2.556 (46/18)
http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/misc/SpeedCalc.html
____________
07 ZX14 bmc filter, muzzy m14, 16/44,66",auto shift, 6'3, 204lbs/1.54/3.99/6.03@120/7.8/9.32@147
biggmo@aol.com
|
mouton38
Parking Attendant
Posts: 7
|
posted May 02, 2009 07:07 AM
I've nev er been mechanically inclined to screw anything. I'm in houston (northside) where you at?
But I'm learning though. I'm putting on a nitrous fuel pump today. What's your email cause I'm technically retarded . Lol
I'm new to this forum stuff and I've never been on myspace. I got a lot of stuff to get done and quick. Cause I need to be runnin some 8.90's to 9.0's like yesterday.
____________
Kollen Mouton
BusaKilla
|
biggmoinc

Zone Head
Posts: 747
|
posted May 02, 2009 12:37 PM
Delaware, n dont say u dont know where its at, lol. my email is at the bottom of the post. But i would say to run those numbers u might want to put ur stock tire back on the back. It might b hard to do wit that 240 robbing us out of our HP! I get alot of smack for tryin to race mine, lol. U should already b stretched 6" or so wit ur tire kit, so strap the front n practice, also invest in air shifter, will give u a few tenths or so as well. Good luck
____________
07 ZX14 bmc filter, muzzy m14, 16/44,66",auto shift, 6'3, 204lbs/1.54/3.99/6.03@120/7.8/9.32@147
biggmo@aol.com
|
KZScott

Needs a life
high on speed
Posts: 7235
|
posted May 02, 2009 03:32 PM
your big tire is really holding you back from good ETs. way too much added rotating weight. run a 190 shinko u soft. 64-68 in wb, good shock, 17 50 gearing, hit the nitrous as soon as possible. try 3 stock springs and 3 hd in the clutch, set your stack height up correctly as per manual instructions
____________
01 ZX-12R 8.84 @ 156.3 no bars, DOT tires. Pump Gas, NA.... turbo 8.47 @ 164.
00 ZX-12R 8.62 @ 165.2 no bars, slicks, Pump Gas, 55 shot.... turbo 8.32 @173
00 ZX-12R Fastest NA Kawasaki in the world 1: 222.046 1.5: 226.390 Loring AFB
00 ZX-12R street turbo 1: 227.9 1.5: 234.1 Loring AFB
00 ZX-12R LSR turbo 1: 263.1 1.5: 266.5 Loring AFB Worlds fastest ZX-12R
CMG Racing RCC Turbos
|
Phantom13

Zone Head
Posts: 736
|
posted May 02, 2009 04:29 PM
The clutch "skipping" feeling is because you no longer have the 2 beveled anti chatter rings in the clutch assembly. I took them out when I replaced my clutch a while back and the clutch did exactly what you described... skipping. I put the two anti-chatter rings back in and now the clutch is perfect again.
Make sure you put them back in the right spots, check the ZX-12R service manual for the proper stack order and placement.
If you don't have a service manual, you can download one for free at kawasakiworld.com.
____________
"The only place Success comes
before Work is inside the Dictionary."
|
NOX
Needs a job
PMRA / TMRC Super Street 4022
Posts: 3745
|
posted May 03, 2009 07:17 PM
all depends on the hp level.......
I slow my bike down to run a 9.50 index 1100 ft above sea level......., 16/50, top of 5th......
going all out, I am top of 6th, same motor, no squeeze, just adding power with the pc,
Depends on what first gear you have too.......,
____________
42 Wins
21 Runner-ups
2010 TMRC Super Street Points Champion
2010 PMRA Super Street #3 Points
2009 PMRA Super Street Points Runner-Up
6 Time Centerville Dragway Points Champion
Sponsored by:
Scorpion Helmets
Galfer Braking
AMSOIL
Steve's Speed Shop
Kawasaki Sports Center
Mickey Thompson Tires
Catalyst Racing Composites
Conway Cycle
Syed Leathers
|
NOX
Needs a job
PMRA / TMRC Super Street 4022
Posts: 3745
|
posted May 03, 2009 07:17 PM
quote: The clutch "skipping" feeling is because you no longer have the 2 beveled anti chatter rings in the clutch assembly. I took them out when I replaced my clutch a while back and the clutch did exactly what you described... skipping. I put the two anti-chatter rings back in and now the clutch is perfect again.
Make sure you put them back in the right spots, check the ZX-12R service manual for the proper stack order and placement.
If you don't have a service manual, you can download one for free at kawasakiworld.com.
Amazing......, I have been telling this to people forever...., finally someone did a back to back comparo.......
____________
42 Wins
21 Runner-ups
2010 TMRC Super Street Points Champion
2010 PMRA Super Street #3 Points
2009 PMRA Super Street Points Runner-Up
6 Time Centerville Dragway Points Champion
Sponsored by:
Scorpion Helmets
Galfer Braking
AMSOIL
Steve's Speed Shop
Kawasaki Sports Center
Mickey Thompson Tires
Catalyst Racing Composites
Conway Cycle
Syed Leathers
|
Shane661

Needs a life
Posts: 11494
|
posted May 04, 2009 03:42 AM
Edited By: Shane661 on 4 May 2009 12:26
quote:
Amazing......, I have been telling this to people forever...., finally someone did a back to back comparo.......
I didn't know this was ever in doubt??
I found this out a couple of years ago...a few clutch swaps...
|
Phantom13

Zone Head
Posts: 736
|
posted May 06, 2009 05:49 AM
Edited By: Phantom13 on 6 May 2009 13:57
quote:
quote: The clutch "skipping" feeling is because you no longer have the 2 beveled anti chatter rings in the clutch assembly. I took them out when I replaced my clutch a while back and the clutch did exactly what you described... skipping. I put the two anti-chatter rings back in and now the clutch is perfect again.
Make sure you put them back in the right spots, check the ZX-12R service manual for the proper stack order and placement.
If you don't have a service manual, you can download one for free at kawasakiworld.com.
Amazing......, I have been telling this to people forever...., finally someone did a back to back comparo.......
It was so easy, a caveman could do it. =)
I still can't believe how critical those chatter rings are! The clutch was not a happy camper without them, that's for sure.
____________
"The only place Success comes
before Work is inside the Dictionary."
|
|
|