TireKiller
Parking Attendant
Posts: 20
|
posted September 23, 2008 07:03 PM
Questions on older 12R
The date on the ZX12R I just aquried is 10/02.. So I think I read somwhere that the 02s have a crappy clutch ?? Basket ?? or somthing.. Being that its late 02 do you think i thas the crappy stuff or the better stuff thats on the 03? Also how would I be able to tell for sure?
I used to have an 05, what other weak links are on the 02-03 that were improved on the later models?
Before somone asks why I had an 05 and now this 02.. Well I bought my 05 and rode the crap out of it and sold it to get a ZX14, then later endedup having a kid so no ZX14.. Well just as I was about to finally be able to buy the 14, I met a this guy who had the 02 sitting in his garage.. Its only had 1600miles on it and was in mint condition.. I got it DIRT CHEAP, cause he just wanted to get rid of it..
So any other differences I may need to know please spill the beans..
Thanks.
|
KZScott

Needs a life
high on speed
Posts: 7235
|
posted September 23, 2008 07:38 PM
the 00 and 01 had the weaker clutch basket
____________
01 ZX-12R 8.84 @ 156.3 no bars, DOT tires. Pump Gas, NA.... turbo 8.47 @ 164.
00 ZX-12R 8.62 @ 165.2 no bars, slicks, Pump Gas, 55 shot.... turbo 8.32 @173
00 ZX-12R Fastest NA Kawasaki in the world 1: 222.046 1.5: 226.390 Loring AFB
00 ZX-12R street turbo 1: 227.9 1.5: 234.1 Loring AFB
00 ZX-12R LSR turbo 1: 263.1 1.5: 266.5 Loring AFB Worlds fastest ZX-12R
CMG Racing RCC Turbos
|
CrotchRocket

Moderator
Bracket Racing with Betsy
Posts: 8038
|
posted September 23, 2008 10:09 PM
Edited By: CrotchRocket on 24 Sep 2008 06:17
'02-'03 are the same clutch, as is the '04-'05, but better than the '00-'01...
I say the '02-'03s are the best, because the '04-'05s have dual fly's!!!
____________
Jason Miller StreetBike Seminars
*****DragRacers do it better, because they dont cut Corners*****
|
oldkawboy

Needs a job
Posts: 2125
|
posted September 24, 2008 03:57 AM
I've had kids and I've had 14's............the kids are a lot more fun!
Sounds like you got a great deal on a nice bike. I've still got my 12 and while the 14's are better streetbikes in my opinion, the 12's can still hold their own.
Enjoy the bike, 14's will still be out there and available when the time comes.
Dan
|
NOX
Needs a job
PMRA / TMRC Super Street 4022
Posts: 3745
|
posted September 24, 2008 05:58 AM
Mine is an 02, and it flys. You just have to know the small things to really making them go. Mine is all stock parts, inside, and put up 124mph in the 1/8 mile this spring.
I would love to have another 12, just to ride around. They look better than the 14 does.
____________
42 Wins
21 Runner-ups
2010 TMRC Super Street Points Champion
2010 PMRA Super Street #3 Points
2009 PMRA Super Street Points Runner-Up
6 Time Centerville Dragway Points Champion
Sponsored by:
Scorpion Helmets
Galfer Braking
AMSOIL
Steve's Speed Shop
Kawasaki Sports Center
Mickey Thompson Tires
Catalyst Racing Composites
Conway Cycle
Syed Leathers
|
TireKiller
Parking Attendant
Posts: 20
|
posted September 24, 2008 11:43 AM
Thanks for the info. Yeah my kids, definatly more fun , just not as much adrenaline involved ; ) ..
I'm looking to get the 1427 kit and keep this one on the track. I tune cars for a performance shop , and our new mustang dyno is coming with a bike attachment ( I begged ) so I can't wait to start tuning bikes. I was reading on the 1427 kit about needing to have the crank offset ground, is that somthing that really needs to be done? Or is it more of a preference? I called muzzys and they said that its not an issue, but I know how that goes when your trying to sell somthing. I basically wanna lay down like 240-260 on motor if possible. Theres a few local guys here at our track that are pretty fast I just wanna compete. With my 05 my best time was 6.82@119 in the 1/8th on stock motor/exhaust, all I had was lowering links, a strap, a 16t in the front, and a shinko drag radial.. So I'm thinkin with a built motor and stretched out I should be able to compete with some of the big guys at the track.
Anyways, thanks for all the info I appeciate it. I'm overly excited about getting another drag bike lol.
|
NOX
Needs a job
PMRA / TMRC Super Street 4022
Posts: 3745
|
posted September 24, 2008 12:25 PM
I run low 5.8s in the 1/8 on stock motor, not sure what your fast guys are running.........
Get the chassis set up first, or you are just gonna have high ets, with big mph.
____________
42 Wins
21 Runner-ups
2010 TMRC Super Street Points Champion
2010 PMRA Super Street #3 Points
2009 PMRA Super Street Points Runner-Up
6 Time Centerville Dragway Points Champion
Sponsored by:
Scorpion Helmets
Galfer Braking
AMSOIL
Steve's Speed Shop
Kawasaki Sports Center
Mickey Thompson Tires
Catalyst Racing Composites
Conway Cycle
Syed Leathers
|
KZScott

Needs a life
high on speed
Posts: 7235
|
posted September 24, 2008 01:30 PM
high et and big mph is my current problem lol. but im making some chassis and clutch tweaks to get that fixed. right Nox?
ive run 128mph in the 1/8, and 161 in the 1/4 (on pump gas not race gas) but only have a 9.02 so far....
240 hp out of a 1427 is very impressive, just ask Karl (entropy)what hes gone through to get his to that range.
get the journals offset to match the billet block. get marine to stroke your crank and do it at the same time
it looks like you are going to build and tune the bike anyway, but its a lot less work to make the same if not more hp with nitrous
____________
01 ZX-12R 8.84 @ 156.3 no bars, DOT tires. Pump Gas, NA.... turbo 8.47 @ 164.
00 ZX-12R 8.62 @ 165.2 no bars, slicks, Pump Gas, 55 shot.... turbo 8.32 @173
00 ZX-12R Fastest NA Kawasaki in the world 1: 222.046 1.5: 226.390 Loring AFB
00 ZX-12R street turbo 1: 227.9 1.5: 234.1 Loring AFB
00 ZX-12R LSR turbo 1: 263.1 1.5: 266.5 Loring AFB Worlds fastest ZX-12R
CMG Racing RCC Turbos
|
TireKiller
Parking Attendant
Posts: 20
|
posted September 24, 2008 07:59 PM
NOX .. Could you give me some tips/recommendations for getting the chassis right? I have limited knowladge about dragbike chassis setup and am totally open to get schooled on this subject.. I guess basic questions, Swingarm length, tips on adjusting the stock rear suspention, recomendations on aftermarket rear suspention, front suspention setup, anything and everything I want to learn lol..
Thanks
Chris.
|
NOX
Needs a job
PMRA / TMRC Super Street 4022
Posts: 3745
|
posted September 24, 2008 08:32 PM
It would take me days.........
Take everything off the bike you dont need........
drill the brake rotors, professionally if you dont have the proper tools.
Good drag specific rear shock, ohlins, fox, etc.
proper gearing, good fuel, u4.2. Brock sidewinder, pcIII R , if wb is not a problem, go 68 inches. get a 8 to 12 over arm. my bike is at about 11 over. and still 68 inches, as it is that low. coby adams pan. Good oil, AMSOIL, non o ring chain. bear velocity stacks.
lock up clutch, single or multi stage. fiberglass body......, lower the front forks internally. airshifter, extend the ecu. cut the tranny,, billet clutch basket...........
Then get a Dr.s appointment for a good clutch tune up............
Then, outrun tons of people, who will think your stock motor is not a stock motor.
Oh, get some lightweight wheels............, I still need some..........., looking right now.
____________
42 Wins
21 Runner-ups
2010 TMRC Super Street Points Champion
2010 PMRA Super Street #3 Points
2009 PMRA Super Street Points Runner-Up
6 Time Centerville Dragway Points Champion
Sponsored by:
Scorpion Helmets
Galfer Braking
AMSOIL
Steve's Speed Shop
Kawasaki Sports Center
Mickey Thompson Tires
Catalyst Racing Composites
Conway Cycle
Syed Leathers
|
TireKiller
Parking Attendant
Posts: 20
|
posted September 24, 2008 11:03 PM
I was searching for arms online, its kinda hard to find anything over 6in, who makes a good arm?
I was thinking about putting a 16t on the front and calling it a day.. You think I need to change the rear as well, or you think the 16 by itself will be fine?
How do you internally lower the front forks?? I remember reading about some kind of blocks that go in them somwhere.
Sorry for asking so many questions, just trying to learn quickly without spending hours searching through useless info.
You guys are awsome thanks for all the info..
|
TireKiller
Parking Attendant
Posts: 20
|
posted September 24, 2008 11:23 PM
Another question.. Would it be worth it to run a slider clutch since this is a track only bike? Or would you recommend a standard lockup?
|
KZScott

Needs a life
high on speed
Posts: 7235
|
posted September 25, 2008 01:21 AM
check out the spencer cycle arms. they make 4-12 over with underbracing out of your stock arm. (im probly getting rid of the extensions and doing that over the winter)
lowering blocks for the forks, or a strap. both on Schnitz racing
you still need to go up a bit on the rear with a 16 on the front. besides, you want to get rid of the steel sprocket for an aluminum one anyway
Nox can tune a lock up to work as good as a slider. and with a slider you need to be towed around the pits. IMO get the MTC single stage lock up like mine
____________
01 ZX-12R 8.84 @ 156.3 no bars, DOT tires. Pump Gas, NA.... turbo 8.47 @ 164.
00 ZX-12R 8.62 @ 165.2 no bars, slicks, Pump Gas, 55 shot.... turbo 8.32 @173
00 ZX-12R Fastest NA Kawasaki in the world 1: 222.046 1.5: 226.390 Loring AFB
00 ZX-12R street turbo 1: 227.9 1.5: 234.1 Loring AFB
00 ZX-12R LSR turbo 1: 263.1 1.5: 266.5 Loring AFB Worlds fastest ZX-12R
CMG Racing RCC Turbos
|
TireKiller
Parking Attendant
Posts: 20
|
posted September 29, 2008 05:20 PM
I saw a couple bikes at the track friday night with the spencer arms on them.. They look like very good quality pieces.. Cool well I think I have got my christmas list all put together.. My wife and I are gonna try to pickup a 09 Zx10R tommorrow so we have a street bike to cruise around on since I've decided to keep this one on the track.. Thanks for all the help guys..
I'll be hitting yall back up when I get all the stuff.
Chris
|
TireKiller
Parking Attendant
Posts: 20
|
posted October 03, 2008 11:35 PM
went to the track tonight.. Ran the 12, my best time was 6.10@122MPH, but after that the clutch started slipping ;( .. I also ran my 08 ZX10R I just got, I could only pull a 7.0@111, I just couldn't get outta first any faster.. Cool thing is on the way back from the track, my buddy was riding my 12 and I was on the 10 and we did some backroad pulls, and I walked away from him bad.. The new 10 is a monster on top end. He'd get me in 1st, once got into 2nd, i'd catch him and walk right past him shifting into 3rd .. Crazy..
Fun night..
Chris
|
ZuminaZX

Expert Class
Posts: 128
|
posted October 04, 2008 03:57 PM
hmmm, sounds like you should pay that 12r forward since you're having so much fun on that 10.
|
johnnnyboy

Expert Class
08 Concours 14
Posts: 164
|
posted October 04, 2008 04:46 PM
my buddy has an 06 10 and i pretty much run him over with my 12
08 s must be good
|
TireKiller
Parking Attendant
Posts: 20
|
posted October 05, 2008 11:26 AM
hehe, nah, I'm keeping the 10 stock for a daily rider.. The 12 will be built and drag raced.. I just wanted to know how well it performed compared to the 12..
|
|
|