ddpete3

Pro
Posts: 1189
|
posted August 21, 2008 01:01 PM
Edited By: ddpete3 on 21 Aug 2008 14:02
15k maintnenace & other add ons
So, my 00 is in the shop gettig it's 15k done.
They just called and wanted to add these tasks to the mix because kawasaki recommends it.:
flush and replace fork fluid....they don't leak, why would they be dirty.
lubricate steering head bearings...my steering is pretty dam smooth
lubricate swing arm pivot bearings
What's your opinion?
____________
My name is Doug, damnit!
|
lgm118icbm

Novice Class
Posts: 48
|
posted August 21, 2008 01:17 PM
do it.
____________
Costa Mesa, Ca
03 ZX-12R
03 Z-1000SC
04 ZX-6R
98 Concours
|
dougmeyer

Needs a job
moderated
Posts: 2713
|
posted August 21, 2008 02:19 PM
Yes,
the stock (cheap) fork oil deteriorates and the fact. grease job ain't that great.
I wouldn't worry about it in another 15 because they (hopefully )will use better materials.
Also the steering brgs will likely need resetting by now.
____________
It's not that I think you're dumb, it's just that so much of what you know isn't true....
|
suix

Expert Class
Posts: 122
|
posted August 21, 2008 03:40 PM
i even change to heavier fork springs at 15k
|
ddpete3

Pro
Posts: 1189
|
posted August 21, 2008 05:43 PM
fuck this is expensive
____________
My name is Doug, damnit!
|
pcbunn
Parking Attendant
Posts: 6
|
posted August 21, 2008 06:46 PM
I waited until I had 34k before I changed the fork oil, I grease it myself and I have never adjusted the headset bearings. I do all my own service cause the dealers cost way too much, I know the work is actually done, and I'd rather pay myself to learn how to do the work plus I can buy tires instead of paying a mechanic.
____________
Phil
|
tuusinii

Pro
Posts: 1031
|
posted August 21, 2008 10:18 PM
I change the fork oils every spring. If you ride little You can get maybe two years but more than that and You'll really notice the difference when changing. And if You notice it You're allready too late... If you do it Yourself it's only 1 l of oil so only 10-20$ - so not very expensive... And use the grease nipples in the linkage evy 3k miles or at least 1 a year (maybe 2 if You ride year long)
|
ddpete3

Pro
Posts: 1189
|
posted August 22, 2008 07:19 AM
800 for those 3.
____________
My name is Doug, damnit!
|
dougmeyer

Needs a job
moderated
Posts: 2713
|
posted August 22, 2008 12:56 PM
Seems high, but to do it right - 10 hr at 80 per would be about right, I guess.
Forks, triple trees, swing arm --- that's a lot of work.
____________
It's not that I think you're dumb, it's just that so much of what you know isn't true....
|
|
|