chango
Expert Class
Posts: 165
|
posted August 13, 2008 03:20 PM
Can the 12 run stomp a busa?
I've heard that the 12 was in competition with the busa in to old days. Was it close? All I hear is how bad the busa would stomp all over everything! In light of the fact that everyone has a busa. I was toying with the idea of putting "the busa killer" on the side when I get my custom paint this year. I never race so for me it's all in fun. What do you guys think?
|
Bobbydigital17420

Expert Class
Posts: 142
|
posted August 13, 2008 04:01 PM
haha this is funny I call my ZX12 "The busa Beater!!!" my buddy has an 2000 busa and he thought it was big pimpin and dont get me wrong they are nice bikes. But then i got my ZX12...... we raced and i left him in the dust the ZX12 deff has the busa # in my opinion
|
KZScott

Needs a life
high on speed
Posts: 7235
|
posted August 13, 2008 05:47 PM
too close to call. its mostly driver untill you start adding a bunch of aftermarket stuff
____________
01 ZX-12R 8.84 @ 156.3 no bars, DOT tires. Pump Gas, NA.... turbo 8.47 @ 164.
00 ZX-12R 8.62 @ 165.2 no bars, slicks, Pump Gas, 55 shot.... turbo 8.32 @173
00 ZX-12R Fastest NA Kawasaki in the world 1: 222.046 1.5: 226.390 Loring AFB
00 ZX-12R street turbo 1: 227.9 1.5: 234.1 Loring AFB
00 ZX-12R LSR turbo 1: 263.1 1.5: 266.5 Loring AFB Worlds fastest ZX-12R
CMG Racing RCC Turbos
|
almost_les
Zone Head
Posts: 590
|
posted August 13, 2008 07:04 PM
i've beaten 5 so far. haven't lost to a single one yet. this is of course with all of us piped/ pc'ed. they might get a jump, but a stock internals busa just doesn't have the top end gusto like a 12r does
|
suix

Expert Class
Posts: 122
|
posted August 14, 2008 04:15 AM
we already have busa killer skicker on our zx12r..
busa killer = zx12r
haha.. 7 years as a 12r owner...no lost on street/highway rides(im blessed)
try asking in busa forum???
|
gsxrassassin
Expert Class
Posts: 225
|
posted August 15, 2008 05:58 AM
The Busa is all about torque and mid-range power. From the take off it's a hard bike to keep pace with but when it comes to high-end horsepower the ZX-12R is MONEY!!
The Busa edges the ZX-12R in power until about 10,000 rpm where the 12 spikes and the Busa drops. I've seen several dyno graphs that show the Busa having a fatter power curve but it runs out of steam sooner and with less peak power. Keep your ZX-12R above 9,000 rpm and it's nearly impossible for the Hayabusa to match you. Dip below 8,000 rpm and you have a dog fight on your hands as you've fallen back into the Busa's territory.
The reason most people say the Hayabusa stomps all over everything is because most riding situations are around town and light-to-light stuff. In that setting the Hayabusa is going to dominate because it's so torquey. But out on the open highway where you can let your ZX-12R stretch its legs and use the top end of the power band you're going to reign supreme.
GSXR
____________
Over the hump, back up and running again!!
|
VincentHill

Needs a life
Posts: 6520
|
posted August 15, 2008 09:50 AM
Actually is is a Back and forth answer! here is how it went!
2000 Busa #1 ZX12R #2
2001 Honda CBR1100 XX (BlackBird) #1 Busa #2, ZX12R #3
2002 Busa #1 ZX12R #2
2003 ZX12R #1 Busa #2
2004 Busa #1 ZX12R #2
SO as you can see as long as trhey were making the bike it was always #1 or #2 compared to the Busa!
____________
Made History @ Daytona and still one fast old man!!
|
Megabyte

Pro
Posts: 1047
|
posted August 15, 2008 04:00 PM
quote: Actually is is a Back and forth answer! here is how it went!
2000 Busa #1 ZX12R #2
2001 Honda CBR1100 XX (BlackBird) #1 Busa #2, ZX12R #3
2002 Busa #1 ZX12R #2
2003 ZX12R #1 Busa #2
2004 Busa #1 ZX12R #2
SO as you can see as long as trhey were making the bike it was always #1 or #2 compared to the Busa!
The 01 XX beat out the 12 and the busa? Where did you find that?
____________
We First make our habits and then our habits make us.
|
VincentHill

Needs a life
Posts: 6520
|
posted August 15, 2008 04:50 PM
You know ALL ABout it! Ken Stotz riding the Velocity Racing Honda Super Black Bird
http://www.stotzracing.com/bio_main.htm
2002 came close and the bike is now in the Honda Museum!
____________
Made History @ Daytona and still one fast old man!!
|
TRNorBRN6001
Needs a job
Posts: 2021
|
posted August 15, 2008 08:06 PM
Very embarrassingly my brother that weights in around 450 lbs on his very, very mellow 1397 Busa whoops up on me all the time. It's very, very annoying at times. I'll tell you his secret, he has an all electric up/down shifter. When we are riding around the Hill country in Texas he'll just pop down a couple gears and leave me in the dust.
Don't know if it's really relevant, but just wanted to add that.
____________
TFA 200MPH CLUB MEMBER!
|
chevelle
Novice Class
Posts: 52
|
posted August 16, 2008 12:17 AM
quote: The Busa is all about torque and mid-range power. From the take off it's a hard bike to keep pace with but when it comes to high-end horsepower the ZX-12R is MONEY!!
The Busa edges the ZX-12R in power until about 10,000 rpm where the 12 spikes and the Busa drops. I've seen several dyno graphs that show the Busa having a fatter power curve but it runs out of steam sooner and with less peak power. Keep your ZX-12R above 9,000 rpm and it's nearly impossible for the Hayabusa to match you. Dip below 8,000 rpm and you have a dog fight on your hands as you've fallen back into the Busa's territory.
The reason most people say the Hayabusa stomps all over everything is because most riding situations are around town and light-to-light stuff. In that setting the Hayabusa is going to dominate because it's so torquey. But out on the open highway where you can let your ZX-12R stretch its legs and use the top end of the power band you're going to reign supreme.
GSXR
Bingo ! I have a 12 and a busa and that's the way it is.
|
VincentHill

Needs a life
Posts: 6520
|
posted August 16, 2008 01:52 AM
Good Statrment Chevelle
____________
Made History @ Daytona and still one fast old man!!
|
lietoome

Needs a job
Posts: 2033
|
posted August 16, 2008 07:23 AM
Depending on the circumstances, it comes down to rider. Like VH stated, its usually the flip of a coin.
|
Kwaknut

Parking Attendant
Posts: 7
|
posted September 26, 2008 12:22 PM
quote: The Busa is all about torque and mid-range power. From the take off it's a hard bike to keep pace with but when it comes to high-end horsepower the ZX-12R is MONEY!!
The Busa edges the ZX-12R in power until about 10,000 rpm where the 12 spikes and the Busa drops. I've seen several dyno graphs that show the Busa having a fatter power curve but it runs out of steam sooner and with less peak power. Keep your ZX-12R above 9,000 rpm and it's nearly impossible for the Hayabusa to match you. Dip below 8,000 rpm and you have a dog fight on your hands as you've fallen back into the Busa's territory.
The reason most people say the Hayabusa stomps all over everything is because most riding situations are around town and light-to-light stuff. In that setting the Hayabusa is going to dominate because it's so torquey. But out on the open highway where you can let your ZX-12R stretch its legs and use the top end of the power band you're going to reign supreme.
GSXR
Totally the case, and that's what most of the UK press tests found as well.
I've played with a few Busas on the road and found exactly what you say - they go well, may even get you for the first few yards, but as the revs rise the 12 just reels in the yards and pulls past the Busa hard (of you're not ahead already).
Through the gears from real-world highway speed starts, the 12 has it every time and more than that, it will corner at speed. Lean the 12 over at 160mph+ and it's steady, get a Busa to try to follow you and the rider will need fresh pants once he's finished wrestling with the Busa's frame.
____________
It was the devil made me do it, officer.
|
NOX
Needs a job
PMRA / TMRC Super Street 4022
Posts: 3745
|
posted September 26, 2008 01:44 PM
quote:
quote: The Busa is all about torque and mid-range power. From the take off it's a hard bike to keep pace with but when it comes to high-end horsepower the ZX-12R is MONEY!!
The Busa edges the ZX-12R in power until about 10,000 rpm where the 12 spikes and the Busa drops. I've seen several dyno graphs that show the Busa having a fatter power curve but it runs out of steam sooner and with less peak power. Keep your ZX-12R above 9,000 rpm and it's nearly impossible for the Hayabusa to match you. Dip below 8,000 rpm and you have a dog fight on your hands as you've fallen back into the Busa's territory.
The reason most people say the Hayabusa stomps all over everything is because most riding situations are around town and light-to-light stuff. In that setting the Hayabusa is going to dominate because it's so torquey. But out on the open highway where you can let your ZX-12R stretch its legs and use the top end of the power band you're going to reign supreme.
GSXR
Bingo ! I have a 12 and a busa and that's the way it is.
Plus, first gear is lower in the busa.
All depends on rider. Everyone thinks my 12 has a built motor..., its stock, and the cams have almost 1200 passes........
These threads will go on forever.........
I am waiting for the gsxr 1500 or the zx15 before I sell mine.........
____________
42 Wins
21 Runner-ups
2010 TMRC Super Street Points Champion
2010 PMRA Super Street #3 Points
2009 PMRA Super Street Points Runner-Up
6 Time Centerville Dragway Points Champion
Sponsored by:
Scorpion Helmets
Galfer Braking
AMSOIL
Steve's Speed Shop
Kawasaki Sports Center
Mickey Thompson Tires
Catalyst Racing Composites
Conway Cycle
Syed Leathers
|
MJ

Zone Head
Posts: 560
|
posted September 30, 2008 03:37 AM
quote:
quote: The Busa is all about torque and mid-range power. From the take off it's a hard bike to keep pace with but when it comes to high-end horsepower the ZX-12R is MONEY!!
The Busa edges the ZX-12R in power until about 10,000 rpm where the 12 spikes and the Busa drops. I've seen several dyno graphs that show the Busa having a fatter power curve but it runs out of steam sooner and with less peak power. Keep your ZX-12R above 9,000 rpm and it's nearly impossible for the Hayabusa to match you. Dip below 8,000 rpm and you have a dog fight on your hands as you've fallen back into the Busa's territory.
The reason most people say the Hayabusa stomps all over everything is because most riding situations are around town and light-to-light stuff. In that setting the Hayabusa is going to dominate because it's so torquey. But out on the open highway where you can let your ZX-12R stretch its legs and use the top end of the power band you're going to reign supreme.
GSXR
Bingo ! I have a 12 and a busa and that's the way it is.
I agree. In most real world situations the busa will have the edge. I have to admit though the stock gen1 pulls crazy hard top end wise....in fact I think that where it did its best work
|
twista

Zone Head
" Get up, and Stay up ! "
Posts: 797
|
posted September 30, 2008 11:04 AM
Edited By: twista on 30 Sep 2008 19:13
Ladys and Gents: Meet the Busa KILLER!



BRING IT!
I spank LIL Bros 06 SE White Busa on a regular........
____________
" When in Doubt, There is no Doubt !"
|
Megabyte

Pro
Posts: 1047
|
posted September 30, 2008 11:09 AM
quote: I am waiting for the gsxr 1500 or the zx15 before I sell mine.........
+1
____________
We First make our habits and then our habits make us.
|
Megabyte

Pro
Posts: 1047
|
posted September 30, 2008 11:11 AM
Does a bear **** in the woods?
____________
We First make our habits and then our habits make us.
|
johnnnyboy

Expert Class
08 Concours 14
Posts: 164
|
posted September 30, 2008 05:15 PM
nice color unique
|
gsxrassassin
Expert Class
Posts: 225
|
posted October 01, 2008 09:21 AM
Hi guys. Just checking in. I see the ZX-12R vs Busa discussion is still in high gear. That's good. I love that kind of talk. Take it over to some of the Hayabusa boards and it's a hate-fest for the ZX-12R. Oh well, I guess it's got to be that way.
In the end the rider who's on the gas first and stays in the longest will win between these two bikes. They are very close, but it's true that the Hayabusa has a stronger midrange while the ZX-12R owns that last 1,000 rpm at the top. I was always a little caught off guard by the way the 12 would pull at the top of the rev range. I can't wait to start looking again. I think I'm going to go for a later year though - like an '04 or even '05. We'll see. Keep up the chat!
GSXR
____________
Over the hump, back up and running again!!
|
MJ

Zone Head
Posts: 560
|
posted October 02, 2008 12:32 AM
quote: Hi guys. Just checking in. I see the ZX-12R vs Busa discussion is still in high gear. That's good. I love that kind of talk. Take it over to some of the Hayabusa boards and it's a hate-fest for the ZX-12R. Oh well, I guess it's got to be that way.
In the end the rider who's on the gas first and stays in the longest will win between these two bikes. They are very close, but it's true that the Hayabusa has a stronger midrange while the ZX-12R owns that last 1,000 rpm at the top. I was always a little caught off guard by the way the 12 would pull at the top of the rev range. I can't wait to start looking again. I think I'm going to go for a later year though - like an '04 or even '05. We'll see. Keep up the chat!
GSXR
If your looking as far up as 05 just pick up an 06 14. Very good used prices, and with flies pulled feels alot like the 12 except stronger than a busa down low, with more kawi hit upstairs. Plus its comfy and handles better. Doesn't feel as raw and animal-like though
In fact its almost too smooth lol
|
gsxrassassin
Expert Class
Posts: 225
|
posted October 02, 2008 06:52 AM
quote:
quote: Hi guys. Just checking in. I see the ZX-12R vs Busa discussion is still in high gear. That's good. I love that kind of talk. Take it over to some of the Hayabusa boards and it's a hate-fest for the ZX-12R. Oh well, I guess it's got to be that way.
In the end the rider who's on the gas first and stays in the longest will win between these two bikes. They are very close, but it's true that the Hayabusa has a stronger midrange while the ZX-12R owns that last 1,000 rpm at the top. I was always a little caught off guard by the way the 12 would pull at the top of the rev range. I can't wait to start looking again. I think I'm going to go for a later year though - like an '04 or even '05. We'll see. Keep up the chat!
GSXR
If your looking as far up as 05 just pick up an 06 14. Very good used prices, and with flies pulled feels alot like the 12 except stronger than a busa down low, with more kawi hit upstairs. Plus its comfy and handles better. Doesn't feel as raw and animal-like though
In fact its almost too smooth lol
Maybe I'll look into the 14s. I'm a little concerned about the cooling issue that seems to keep coming up. I've heard that they get warm enough that the heat gauge reaches as high as 1 bar from the top under "normal" riding conditions. I was planning to build power into the ZX-12R so I know I'm going to do the same if I get a 14. Extra power usually translates to more heat and I don't know if the cooling system can keep pace. My ZX-12R never got over the halfway mark on the heat gauge, even when idling for long periods of time. We'll see. I have enough on my plate right now that I won't be considering bikes for a while.
GSXR
____________
Over the hump, back up and running again!!
|
|
|