iflyguns

Novice Class
Posts: 83
|
posted March 19, 2002 03:07 PM
17 toooth vs. 17/47 combo
I put a new AFAM 17 tooth on the front tonight and what a difference it made! I also bought a new AFAM 47 for the rear but have not put it on yet. The question is, should I?
____________
Tony D
|
green monster
Novice Class
Posts: 56
|
posted March 19, 2002 03:09 PM
Somebody recommended 17/48 to me for drag racing.... But I don't know how good it would be I'm gonna try it....
____________
NOS Rocks
|
silver01bullit

Expert Class
on here too much
Posts: 333
|
posted March 19, 2002 05:27 PM
I had the same dilemma, you can always take the 47 off if you don't like it. I wasn't going to put the 48 on mine but I REALLY like it now that I did. 3rd gear power wheelies are just too good to pass up, roll ons from 120 are incredible.
|
Ninjaman12R

Needs a job
as a Deal's Gap tour guide.
Posts: 4767
|
posted March 19, 2002 05:41 PM
It rocks....
That's the way my bike is geared (17/47) and I love it. I know that the 1 up on back doesn't really do much, I mainly did my bike that way to keep the wheelbase as close to stock as possible. It loves to wheelie with this combo, and roll-ons and corner exits are much more exciting. One of the best bang for buck mods that I've done to my bike without a doubt.
____________
What we're dealin' with here is a complete lack of respect for the law.
Sheriff Buford T. Justice of TEXAS
|
ROCKET J

Zone Head
Goes to water over a dummy!!!
Posts: 602
|
posted March 20, 2002 02:43 AM
Just in case I find a 'Busa on the highway...
What about top end?
Rocket
____________
If I get any smarter, my head will explode!
|
Ninjaman12R

Needs a job
as a Deal's Gap tour guide.
Posts: 4767
|
posted March 20, 2002 06:19 AM
If the busa is stock geared.....
Well it should take the busa awhile to catch you anyway.
This combo should be good to mid 180s. The day I went to the street races on great river road I ran mine to the limiter in 6th and held it there for a couple of miles, which went by fast. My bike was indicating the high side of 180, around 187-189, almost bumping 190. I do have a yellow box and I may be just a tick off on it. I'd like to get a GPS unit and see how close the speedo is. My bike may have a generous limiter, I don't know. All I DO know is that it will pull the limiter in 6th with my big ass on it.
If you aren't big into making top speed runs gearing the bike down is a definite plus IMHO.
____________
What we're dealin' with here is a complete lack of respect for the law.
Sheriff Buford T. Justice of TEXAS
|
zxguy
Parking Attendant
Posts: 17
|
posted March 20, 2002 07:07 AM
Edited By: zxguy on 20 Mar 2002 07:09
High 180's with a 17 tooth on our 12's would definetly be around 170 something in true mph
And with the stock front sprocket 12's are lucky to do a true 190 mph which would be something above 200 on the speedo.
|
zx12r4play

Novice Class
Dirty South
Posts: 79
|
posted March 20, 2002 07:32 AM
ZXguy I disagree I have the 17/46 combo and my bike dynoed at 176.6hp and I had 184mph most of the other 12's that day mph was 194 to 196mph with stock gearing, and the same mods ....pipe pc3 etc.. plus we have already been down this road before
|
zxguy
Parking Attendant
Posts: 17
|
posted March 20, 2002 07:54 AM
I can tell you this.
I have a 17 tooth front sprocket and a garmin etrex.
I've had the bike pegged with the 17 tooth on and mid to high 170's is all I've ever see on the GPS. The highest being 179 once.
With the stock 18 tooth near 185 mph was the max true mph that my GPS registered.
Stock 2000 12's pretty much max out at 187 on radar unless conditions are absolutely amazing.
From what I've read from others the results I've seen are pretty typical.
|
BigJ
Parking Attendant
Posts: 3
|
posted March 20, 2002 08:05 AM
Hey iflyguns, just took my 48 tooth off the back of my 12
after putting on a pipe and pcIIIr. In my opinion, the 17
tooth that I have on my 12 is all I need. My bike pulls
like crazy and I weigh 265. All of the guys I ride with all
weigh a lot less than I do. They can get the jump on me but
my 12 will pull back up to them where in the past it didn't.
Go figure, I'd think with the 17/48 gearing it would pull
harder, thus the same result I'm getting now. Some of the
guys said that maybe It was topping out too quickly with the
low gearing. In any case, I like the 17 in the front and the stock on the back. Try it for a while and see what you
think. I think you won't be disappointed.
P.S. If you are going to do any dragracing, don't use the
17/48 gearing, because you will be looking skyward more than
down the strip. Just a little friendly advice for green
monster.
|
EastBayDave

Needs a job
Posts: 2245
|
posted March 20, 2002 08:07 AM
Into a '15mph headwind, mine hit a brick wall at 185 indicated. It just stopped accelerating w/my fat ass aboard (270lbs. naked.) I keep wondering if I should do the 17t mod...
____________
Enjoy the ride!
02' ZRX1200
00' ZX12R sold
|
iflyguns

Novice Class
Posts: 83
|
posted March 20, 2002 08:08 AM
Hey Ninja Man,
What do you have your yellow box set to. I understand that just the 17t requires 17.25%. What about 17/47 combo. I've decided to go with the combo after all and would like to set the yellow box up right!
____________
Tony D
|
Ninjaman12R

Needs a job
as a Deal's Gap tour guide.
Posts: 4767
|
posted March 20, 2002 08:47 AM
to be honest....
I really don't know exactly what my correction factor was.I'm pretty sure it was between 12.5 to 15%. All I know is I paced with a new model vehicle with the cruise set at various MPH until I got it spot on with the vehicle. We did it @ 55 mph, 70 mph, and 85 mph and the bike and vehicle (my truck) stayed side by side. Did the pacing on a straight level stretch of 4-lane. The bike had a new tire on it at that time, and it had a new tire on it the day it held it to the limiter in 6th on GRR.
As far as the accuracy of the speedo in my truck goes, any time I've passed those signs with the gun that say "Your Speed Is" it has always been either spot on, or maybe 1 mph plus or minus different.
I'm not saying that it isn't off, but if it is off, I don't think that it's WAY off. Either way I love the way the bike performs with the 17/47 gearing and wouldn't change it back for nothing. It does love to wheelie, but then again so do I.
____________
What we're dealin' with here is a complete lack of respect for the law.
Sheriff Buford T. Justice of TEXAS
|
|
|