matt sterbator

Pro
Hiding in the bushes
Posts: 1367
|
posted August 01, 2005 11:18 AM
Throttle cables at hand grip
In all my dealings with the 12R over the past couple of years, pulling motors, replacing a transmission, pipes, wheels, valve clearance checks, general maintenance... I've yet to find something more aggrivating or difficult than reattaching the throttle cables to the handlebar and having it work smoothly. Every single time I've removed them, when I put them back it ALWAYS binds up when you open the throttle and will not return to the idle position. I cannot find anything binding inside the little brackets that hold them in place, I can even make it bind up just by pulling them into position with my hand and rotating the throttle. Leads me to believe it's not the brackets, but the cables themselves. However, everytime I've gotten it to work, it just seemed to magically stop doing it. While I want to know what happened, I'd be thrilled it was working and didn't want to screw it up again until the next time I had to do it.
It does this with the stock handlebars and the helibars, it happens on both 12Rs here at the house. I've literally spent hours pulling my hair out trying to figure out why this happens. At this point it's 100°+ in my garage and I'm ready to put the bike out to the curb for the garbage truck to haul away.
So if anyone else has had this issue, or knows how to stop this from happening I'd greatly appreciate it
|
RAC4IT

Needs a job
Bergie
Posts: 3009
|
posted August 01, 2005 11:37 AM
FWIW, I've had similar issues. Just adjust and re-adjust until it works itself out. If all else fails, I will give you $1 for your bike to take your headaches away
|
matt sterbator

Pro
Hiding in the bushes
Posts: 1367
|
posted August 01, 2005 03:27 PM
So I gave it another shot 5mins before I had to leave for work. A little more clear headed. I took the whole assembly off the handlebar and put it together to see if I could get a better look as to why it was happening. I could get it to bind off the handlebar. Then I moved it to kinda straighten out the cables, and it worked as advertised. Pull it into position near the bar, and it would bind. Obviously it's the cables binding in their sleeves for whatever reason. So I loosened the cables all the way at the adjusters, put the assembly on the handlebar, into position, and it works, just sloppy cables. Tightened it all up, still works, adjusted the cables to remove the slack, presto, yay !
Pretty sure I figured out HOW to put it together with no binding, just not 100% sure WHY it happens. So either I got lucky, or really figured something out. Not concerned... Hell for all I know, this is the correct procedure in the service manual and I've been too lazy to look up something that seems so simple.
Bergie, I'll give you a dollar for that video those guys are bitchin about, lol. I'd give Fish a dollar too... :P
|
TurboBlew

Moderator
BUSY DOING THE SCHIAVO
Posts: 4590
|
posted August 01, 2005 04:28 PM
Dont remove your handlebars or throttle assembly anymore....lol
quote:
So if anyone else has had this issue, or knows how to stop this from happening I'd greatly appreciate it
|
extremelean

Pro
Posts: 1651
|
posted August 01, 2005 04:52 PM
I never have these issues you speak of.....BUT...FYI...when you slide the switch housing pieces together, sometimes the cable drops down between the throttle grip bell and the housing....giving the exact feeling you are expierencing.
patience and a little finess usually get it
|
matt sterbator

Pro
Hiding in the bushes
Posts: 1367
|
posted August 01, 2005 06:17 PM
I think this may have more to do with the tension on the cables themselves. I like to have my throttle adjusted so that there is zero play at idle. I think reducing the tension on the cables by backing the adjusters off all the way put enough slack in them to mount back on the bar without them binding in the sleeves. Still kinda doesn't explain that when I readjusted them back to where I like, they were fine. Oh well, s'long as it works I'm good. Just hope I can remember this next time :P
TB :
|
MadMike

Moderator
FEAR THE BLACK FLAG!!!!!!!!
Posts: 6579
|
posted August 01, 2005 06:48 PM
anytime I have had that problem! which is almost every time! it ends up being that one cable is tighter then the other. so I adjust them down by where the TB's are and good to go!
____________
200-MPH CLUB MEMBER!
|
|
|