VincentHill

Needs a life
Posts: 6520
|
posted June 26, 2005 07:24 PM
Edited By: VincentHill on 30 Jun 2005 10:54
Worst Weekend?? Tragedy Nearly! Now Pics!
First, Just in case anyone does not know this, I really appreciate and feel the support and good wishes the people give me.
Maxton June 25 & 26.
I went there with possibly the best prepared bike I have ever had (Mistake #1)
First, we left home and were in Virginia near the Pentagon when Peggy Realized that I did not have my Leathers. On the way back home we also realized that I also did not have my Back Protector.
Now it is after 11 PM when we are on the road to Maxton 6 hours away. Somehow, we meet up with Randall at the Rest Stop in North Carolina. We get to The Hotel by 6 AM and wore out get up at 9:30 and head to the Air Base. I make my first run by Noon.
The run was slow to check things out but I feel the engine cutting off and on during the run while I avoid a "CONE" in the Middle of the course at about the 3/4 mile mark. I ran 182. I look over the bike and see that the fuel Pressure seems to be lower than I set it on the Bypass Fuel gauge but the gauge could be off so I reset it and make the second Run. This Run is a little better 184 but the bike actually dies a few times during the run. We check the bike over again and I again reset the fuel presure and make the next run. This time the bike is really accelerating well and then the engine noses over and I pull in the clutch and make the turn off the course then let the clutch out a few times but the bike is making funny sounds and will not start.
OH Oh have I really done it this time? I call for help and check the bike over and realize not only will it not start but I alco cannot hear the Fuel Pump. Now I really am sacred because I hit the NOS Button several times during the run to reset it because the engine seemed to be bogging down. Have I just sprayed an Fuel Starved engine and Killed it for GOOD?? :Rolleyes
Peggy and Randall show up with the van and We put the bike in it and go back to the Pitts. NO Pump noise what so ever. My first thought is, the New Muzzy fuel Pump is one of only 2 things I have changed and I have never had a pump failure in the past, is it the Muzzy Pump or something I did wrong when I installed it??
It now has started to rain so I push it under Snark Racing Tent. I turn on the key and the Pump works and the Bike is now running and I am breathing again. NO STRANGE NOISES NO Engine DAMAGE (As far as I can tell) We push and pull on all of the wires than the Bike continues to run well. I take it out for a spin and it still runs well. I ask Randall does he want to ride it but he says no because the Track is still wet and who knows about the Bike? I start down the taxi way to the start line and the bike stopps just before the cement ends. I tell people to let the starter know so that Peggy can come and get me but the bike starts again and I go to the start line where it dies again. ENOUGH IS ENOUGH! NO MORE UNTIL I FIGURE THIS OUT>
The day is over and we go to eat with OldKawboy and his family and some other friends. All night long I go over the bike in my mind and heat out about 7 AM to fix this monster. We check the Wires from the Connector to the ECU. We check the Pump itself and everything is fine. We (Dan "OldKawboy" and I check the relays, fuses and everything works perfectly. San finds loose connector and the pump squirts fuel and we think he has found the answer but by the time I put the tank on, no fuel pump. FInally the person that is with his son that I sold some NOS to suggest to bypass and run a Jumper wire connected to a toggle Switch to see if we can get the pump to run. Well I have one other thiong to try first, I eun a bypass wire from the Pump connector to the ECU to see if there is a problem with the wire but the pump does not run. SO I now take the wire from my Heater Blanket and carefully cut into the Pump wire and connect this and flip the switch and the pump turns on!
"THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH THE MUZZY FUEL PUMP PERIOD
I then hit the starter Button to see if I have damaged the ECU (I ALSO HAD DISCONNECTED THE PC3 to make sure it was no problem) The bike starts right up and I take it for a ride. Now it is about 11 AM but no one can go on the track because JOHN BECKETT has just crashed HARD In his 200+ Old Honda Land SPeed Car. AT about 200, the Chutes faied to deploy and the car went sideways and every other way before it left the course and hit a tree. We have all heard the souds of tires Heaving braking no engine sound and then the Sounds of the things being struck. Then the Siren came on and the Rescue equipment came and you know it is bad. John suffered no injuries and the car has the front end damaged. Not too bad (But this is not the Tragedy I was referring to in the Title.
SO finally Randall in suited up and rides down to the start line. We check over everything for his run and he states that he does not want to hit the NOS but I suggest that he use it a "little" so we can get a Base Line to set the timers. Geared 19 / 44 about enough gearing to run over 200 he starts his run. He runs close to 190 but then the stated tells me that Randall has a problem (Maybe a flat tire) but he did not fall and is OK.
SO I make sure that this is no Joke and we drive to the Pits and see Randall sitting on the bike with something Hanging off the right side (as you sit on the Bike) I get closer and see that it is the fairing ripped out and a closer look I see that the Exhaust pipes are "ALL" Flattened (SMASHED)! We then look over the bike some more and see that the front wheel has a large dent in the rim (Bent back about 1/2 Inch). Talking to Randall and the track officials, we find that just after the run at about 190, Randall is braking hard, so hard that he knocks out part of the concrete Patch which put a hole in the course and caused the rim to get dented and Randall to stand the bike on its nose. Then when the bike came down, he landed on the patch and drove over it kicking the back of the bike up in the air again and to the left. Randall saves it again and brings the bike under control and rides it back to the pits. Even the rear tire has cement marks on the right side. We went out on the course and took part of the patch home with us because Randall Paid for it and I did with the damage to my bike.
I am extremely upset at the problems I had with the Bike and more upset about the Course conditions that almost took out Randall Forget the Bike. We are home now and I have 3 months to "FIND THAT DAMM Short in the Wiring!" and put on a new exhaust, New fairing and new exhaust. We all know racing by its nature can be dangerous, but this disturbed me because nothing we have any control over almost got Randall. Hard to believe myself, But I was not upset about the Bike's condition after finding out what happened.
This has to rank as one of the worst weekend I have ever been through! I will post some pictures later but right now, I am exhausted and need to clean up and go to bed and be at work tomorrow. People in their 60's need their rest !
____________
Made History @ Daytona and still one fast old man!!
|
osti33

Needs a job
Posts: 2973
|
posted June 26, 2005 07:38 PM
Glad Randall is ok Mr. Hill. Sorry to here about your bike. Hope you get it fixed for the next event.
|
MadMike

Moderator
FEAR THE BLACK FLAG!!!!!!!!
Posts: 6579
|
posted June 26, 2005 09:27 PM
Oh man that is crazy!!!! I am so glad that he is ok!!!
Vince, what kind of pipe do you have??? an akro correct?????
if so I have a "slightly" damaged headers and mid-pipe, I believe. but if you want them I can take some pix's and you can see what I mean! just let me know and they are yours!
Mad Mike
____________
200-MPH CLUB MEMBER!
|
fish_antlers

Administrator
The Truth is Out There
Posts: 21896
|
posted June 26, 2005 09:35 PM
wow!
____________
What business is it of yours where I'm from, Friendo?
|
entropy
Moderator
Posts: 8671
|
posted June 26, 2005 11:44 PM
glad no body got hurt!
____________
This moderator uses moderation in moderation
|
junior s

Pro
?
Posts: 1644
|
posted June 27, 2005 02:13 AM
Lady Luck was having PMS this time , glad your all OK .
____________
Get up off your ass and ride !!
|
VincentHill

Needs a life
Posts: 6520
|
posted June 27, 2005 03:31 AM
Thanks MM & Everyone. When I post the picturesm you will see that it is the Headers (Primary tubes and they are even split. I already had a new pipe coming so the difference now is "I NEED IT"! I was also thinking about a new Fiberglass Fairing from AirTech but did not because "Why spend more money on something that you already have" I cannot say that anymore, so now a new fairing to boot.
I will be fun looking for that bad wire, but that is #1 and of course I will be looking at every point that is near anythig that could rub it.
____________
Made History @ Daytona and still one fast old man!!
|
rac4it

Needs a job
Bergie
Posts: 3009
|
posted June 27, 2005 03:57 AM
1st- I'm glad everyone is "okay". Sorry to hear about your troubles.
What I want to know is WHO was the driver that went down the course just PRIOR to your run where there was a CONE ON THE TRACK? You need to look that up in the run log and FIND OUT WHO because it is EVERY DRIVER/RIDERS RESPONSIBILITY TO REPORT PROBLEMS ON THE COURSE. As you know, following each run the rider or driver needs to signal an official that everything is CLEAR on the track. If this was not done, then that driver put your life in danger!
Were they able to continue racing after the incident? Was the damage to the course repaired or deemed insignificant enough to keep racing? Were you able to get any photos? If you need someone to host the photos email them to me and I will post them up.
Wiring problems suck. They are the worst to trace and sometimes what works perfectly on the dyno doesn't work when you get out on the bumpy surface at maxton! The pavement is so bumpy and rough it can easily loosen a tight connection. I always check fasteners and wiring regularly because of this.
Well, at least you were able to go and although you had problems it's better than being stuck at home. I'm sure you had some good times hanging out with Dan and the crew and chowing down on some seafood.
Let us know how others made out if you have a chance, how did Chad do running Don's ZX10R? Did they run the Coby Adams cruiser? Any other news?
Also glad to hear John Beckett made it okay in his crash! No injuries is great!
|
Bagster

Zone Head
Posts: 630
|
posted June 27, 2005 04:27 AM
Vincent,
Good to hear that noone was hurt.
You might want to re-do any wiring connection ends that you (or anyone else) has put on the bike.
I have found plenty of overcrimped wires over the years, where the wiring was cut by compression and the connector was only hanging on by the insulation and maybe one strand of wire.
That could make an erratic connnection for you.
|
zxfingyz
Expert Class
Posts: 424
|
posted June 27, 2005 07:23 AM
Nice job by Randall controlling what could have been a catastrophic situation.
Must have ice in his veins from the sound of it.
Glad everyone is ok. Sounds like you are going to be real busy for the next month or so huh?
|
bigju
Expert Class
Posts: 238
|
posted June 27, 2005 07:28 AM
Vince
Sounds like a bad weekend, but It actually was a good one. No one got hurt first and foremost. It's an expensive weekend, but not horrible. I'm sure you'll have the problems and repairs completed on the bike soon. I mean, your the only person I know that says "Made history at Daytona, still one fast old man" This is only a set back, just see it like that
|
VincentHill

Needs a life
Posts: 6520
|
posted June 27, 2005 07:39 AM
Edited By: VincentHill on 27 Jun 2005 08:40
quote: Nice job by Randall controlling what could have been a catastrophic situation.
Must have ice in his veins from the sound of it.
Glad everyone is ok. Sounds like you are going to be real busy for the next month or so huh?
Scott Gutherie first wanted to say Randall had the Genes (He does from Peggy) but then realized that Enviroment has a lot to do with it. I had Randall sitting on the top of my gas tank with his feet on the valve cover and hands on the Master cylinders since he was 5 years old (1984 900 Ninja) and a year or so later Peggy and I would have him operate the bike down the interstates at 80 and 90 changing lanes while we rode with our arms folded. When he started High School at 14, he had a Tomos Moped that I modified to do 50 and he HAD to ride the bike to and from school Rain, Snow, Ice, or Shine. WHen he would fall, he had to explain everything that happened so he could learn.
The problem with Randall was, he wanted to go 100% and then slow up untlil he did not fall (Bikes, Skate Boards anything) I sat up many a night watching him so that his open wounds would not stick to the sheets and he could heal. Randall was shaking when Dan First saw him and all I could do was Hug him. All I did was talk to him about where he was on the course and why he should not have been there so he could learn more. HE DONE ME PROUD!
Bergie, I was not at the Meeting and they may have explained the "Cone" there, but no one said anything to me about it except Dan because Chad had to avoid it also. I thought it had been removed and was very surprised :oo to see it still there.
____________
Made History @ Daytona and still one fast old man!!
|
Hells Dark Lord

Needs a life
living life, and loving it.
Posts: 7981
|
posted June 27, 2005 01:45 PM
Man Vince I am sorry to hear of your problems at Maxton. But I am glad to hear that Randall is ok and saved the bike for the most part. The fact that he was able to keep it up at those speeds really says something about his testicular fortitude, and abilities......better luck next time.....
____________
When in doubt, lean farther and go faster....
|
MadMike

Moderator
FEAR THE BLACK FLAG!!!!!!!!
Posts: 6579
|
posted June 27, 2005 02:33 PM
I am glad everything is cool! and that header is taking up space, so if you want a spare it is yours! just let me know.
Mike
____________
200-MPH CLUB MEMBER!
|
VincentHill

Needs a life
Posts: 6520
|
posted June 27, 2005 04:00 PM
Mike you continue to be my Hero! When I grow up (Hopefully it will never happen) I want to be just like you. 100% appreciated. I am sending you an e-mail later.
____________
Made History @ Daytona and still one fast old man!!
|
oldkawboy

Needs a job
Posts: 2125
|
posted June 28, 2005 04:08 AM
Hello Folks,
It was another wild week-end at Maxton.....again! Missed you Bergie, Captain Larry was asking where you were.
As Vincent stated, Randall did an excellent job of not panicking and keeping the bike under control. It's kinda hard to keep one eye looking forward while watching the tach to see where you're at going through the trap with the other eye. He done well. I fully expected them to crack 200, even though the conditions were not too good.
Chad made three passes on Don's ZX10R at 187-188 before he picked up a big staple in the new rear tire.....week-end over for them before it even got started.
He did ride a (God forbid) 'Busa for a guy who came up from Texas. Charlie was stuck in the 191-192 range and wanted to see what the bike would do with Chad on board. The bike was a 1397 and Chad broke 200, just barely and Charlie was happy.
Good to see everyone and as always Vincent, enjoyed getting caught up with the Hill gang.
Dan
|
VincentHill

Needs a life
Posts: 6520
|
posted June 30, 2005 10:00 AM



Right at 190 (Or as Randall states "1 second after I had let off and started to Brake")
____________
Made History @ Daytona and still one fast old man!!
|
osti33

Needs a job
Posts: 2973
|
posted June 30, 2005 03:05 PM
Ouch! Glad it wasn't worse. Hope you get it back together soon.
|
VincentHill

Needs a life
Posts: 6520
|
posted June 30, 2005 05:08 PM
Edited By: VincentHill on 1 Jul 2005 03:49
A few more pictures.
Another view of the Front Tire and a new view of the rear tire that also hit the side of the Patch also and kicked the bike up again and to the Left.


And a slightly different Picture of the Exhaust and Fairing

You just have to watch where you are going Nowadays!
____________
Made History @ Daytona and still one fast old man!!
|
NOX
Needs a job
PMRA / TMRC Super Street 4022
Posts: 3745
|
posted June 30, 2005 06:25 PM
damn lucky you kept it up on two wheels.
____________
42 Wins
21 Runner-ups
2010 TMRC Super Street Points Champion
2010 PMRA Super Street #3 Points
2009 PMRA Super Street Points Runner-Up
6 Time Centerville Dragway Points Champion
Sponsored by:
Scorpion Helmets
Galfer Braking
AMSOIL
Steve's Speed Shop
Kawasaki Sports Center
Mickey Thompson Tires
Catalyst Racing Composites
Conway Cycle
Syed Leathers
|
VincentHill

Needs a life
Posts: 6520
|
posted July 03, 2005 10:08 PM
Not great Pictures because I had to take a Picture of a Picture. Thanks to Bergie for having any pictures at all.
First is a picture of the "Patch" 2 slabs Wide

Pieces we picked up "Still" in the Patch next to the Place Randall Hit

Randall Kept the Larger Piece, "He felt that he had bought and paid for it! :x

We cleaned out the loose stuff so maybe a cone needs to be placed there also?
____________
Made History @ Daytona and still one fast old man!!
|
Hells Dark Lord

Needs a life
living life, and loving it.
Posts: 7981
|
posted July 05, 2005 06:42 AM
Edited By: Hells Dark Lord on 6 Jul 2005 14:48
dam the luck Vince......better luck next time........
____________
When in doubt, lean farther and go faster....
|
vozizm

Needs a job
Got Nothing Witty To Say
Posts: 4417
|
posted July 06, 2005 09:47 AM
thats one rough track
____________
VOZ
|
|
|