posted June 19, 2005 03:57 PM
OT If I buy a bike in Canada?? Does anyone know if I buy a used bike in canada am I going to play hell getting it back into the states? I'm talking customs and border guard and all that crap. I would be going to pick it up myself unless I found a way to ship it cheaper.
posted June 19, 2005 10:36 PM
I was helpin a buddy find a limited edition all black new GSXR1000, they had one in Alberta, Canada...and we had the same questions.
We were told we have to pay the taxes in Canada to take ownership of the motorcycle. I guess you do eventually get refunded those taxes, but dealer said to realistically expect 24+ months after the paperwork is filed before you see that refund due back. He said that was something like 20% of the bike's value you have to pay in taxes (not sure on that number exactly though).
We were also told the manufacturers no longer give out letters on letterheads saying the motorcycle meets America's DOT standards, nor does anywhere on the frame does it say that.
So when you bring it stateside, you have to go through an inspection which is cheap but a hassle.
Needs a life
Full throttle!
Posts: One MEEEEEELLION
posted June 20, 2005 06:48 AM
In most states, the tax you pay in canada is directly credited against the tax you pay for titling it in the state, so it works out good. And yep, state patrol usually does the inspection, right Beans?
____________
82 Gpz750, 84 Ninja 900, 2000 ZX12R (Muzzy Big Bore Kit), *another* 2000 ZX12R (Muzzy custom stroke crank 1341cc motor), 2004 ZZR1200, 2005 ZX10R, 2007 ZX14, 2008 Concours 14, 2014 Versys 650, 2014 Yamaha WR450F, 2015 Ninja H2
posted June 20, 2005 07:38 AM
Edited By: ynot on 20 Jun 2005 08:40
The inspection is done at the boarder by Customs. To make things go as smooth as possible you will need a letter from the Manufacture stating the bike meets US DOT standards and everything that doesn't meet standards that needs to be removed or added will have ot be done before you can inport it (lights, reflector/reflector colors ect) . You have to have it inspected before the Sec of state will plate it also.. This may help you out some...
www.customs.gov/linkhandler/cgov/toolbox/publications/trade/usimportrequirements.ctt/usimportrequirements.doc
____________
But Brain... Where are we going to get enough Caramel and a Cherry big enough to cover the Alps?
posted June 20, 2005 10:28 AM
Edited By: osti33 on 20 Jun 2005 11:29
Thanks for the info guys. It is a used bike from a private owner. No dealership involved. The bike is originally from the states. So it should meet all DOT standerds(I hope). This guy bought it in the states and hauled it up to canada.
Will I still have to pay the 20% tax in canada on a used bike?
posted June 21, 2005 06:48 AM
To get a vehicle into the states, it has to comply with the US MOT/DOT. etc. The speedo gauge has to be changed to ready MPH. Have to get recalls done.
YOU DO NOT HAVE TO PAY ANY CANADIAN TAXES IF THE VEHCILE IS LEAVING CANADA other than GST which you claim back at the Canadian customs as you leave with the bike. The best thing to do is get a broker to do all the paper work and deliver to the southside of the border. Fees are about 250-400 bucks depending. This will illiminate the BRAIN DAMAGE!
The taxes that have to be paid in you state, and any duties, just call you appropriate agencies.