HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX12R ZONE.com > Thread: interesting article on oil......... NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
Ninjaman12R


Needs a job
as a Deal's Gap tour guide.
Posts: 4767
posted January 13, 2002 07:27 PM        Edited By: Ninjaman12R on 13 Jan 2002 19:28
Interesting Article on Oil.........

An interesting read.

http://www.ducatimeccanica.com/oil.html
____________

What we're dealin' with here is a complete lack of respect for the law.

Sheriff Buford T. Justice of TEXAS

  Ignore this member   
12RPilot


Pro
Posts: 1094
posted January 13, 2002 08:58 PM        
Kinda what I always suspected but was afraid to stray from motorcycle specific oil. Looks like Mobil 1 from now on.
____________
If you aren't an AMA member, you're part of the problem.
NESBA #209

http://www.bikepics.com/members/12rpilot/04zx10r/

  Ignore this member    Click here to send 12RPilot an ICQ message. Click here to add 1781480 to your ICQ list. 
MadMike


Moderator
FEAR THE BLACK FLAG!!!!!!!!
Posts: 6579
posted January 13, 2002 09:26 PM        
hmmm. I guess Im not so crazy for using Kendall oil in my bike!!! cool. eh!!
mad mike
____________
200-MPH CLUB MEMBER!

  Ignore this member    Click here to visit MadMike's homepage. 
ZXtra


Expert Class
Posts: 490
posted January 13, 2002 10:34 PM        
Very Interesting!

That gives ya something to think about. We all want the best products for our 12's even if it means paying more. But this artical says that the best costs less.-ZXtra
____________
The sixth sick sheik's sixth sheep's sick!

  Ignore this member   
kzz1


Zone Head
"Show me whatcha workin with"
Posts: 908
posted January 13, 2002 11:00 PM        
Been using car oils in bikes for years despite the claims! Not one problem with the engines. Although I switch over to a synthectic(spelling) oil IE...Mobil One, I'll keep using car oils.. Great article! I'm printing the article to keep on file and show my fellow biking buddies this article:P
  Ignore this member   
lubricity


Expert Class
Posts: 362
posted January 14, 2002 03:28 AM        
Well GUYS

It about says EXACTLY what I have been writing here to you guys for the last couple years. Motorcycle oils SUCK.

If you guys want any more answers just ask. Or better yet, I can ship the oils right to your door.
rich
____________
a poor 12 owner

  Ignore this member    Click here to visit lubricity's homepage. 
MadMike


Moderator
FEAR THE BLACK FLAG!!!!!!!!
Posts: 6579
posted January 14, 2002 06:09 AM        
Hey bud, Im going to be ordering that 5 gallons real soon, cool!!
mad mike

  Ignore this member    Click here to visit MadMike's homepage. 
Ninjaman12R


Needs a job
as a Deal's Gap tour guide.
Posts: 4767
posted January 14, 2002 06:20 AM        
Now let me ask this question?????

Doug Meyer or any of you other gurus help a brother out. I've been paying $8.25 a qt for bel-ray EXS, but would switch to Mobil 1 (what I use in my autos) in a minute if I knew I wouldn't screw anything up. I've always been taught it was bad to switch oils, and that if you did your engine would start "using" oil. I offered no opinion when I posted this and still won't, but for years I ran Castrol GTX in all my bikes and NEVER had ANY engine problems.

Somebody gimme the 411!!!!!!!!!!
____________

What we're dealin' with here is a complete lack of respect for the law.

Sheriff Buford T. Justice of TEXAS

  Ignore this member   
Zx23rr


Expert Class
Mahogany Bomber Pilot
Posts: 242
posted January 14, 2002 08:05 AM        
Have been....

using Motul 3100 and 5100 since 1000 kms. I noticed that the 12r destroyed it in 1000 kms. I mean its dirty and looks used up. On the 11 I can get 3000 kms and it still looks clean. I believe that I lot of it is fuel/combustion contamination, but also the extra hp's are taking its toll on the oil. I like Motul as I find it to be one of the nicest shifting oils out there.
I wish the article had tested Motul & Bel-ray to see what was left of it after 800 and 1500 miles. As it stands, I will try Mobil one ( I run it in all my other vehicles)and see how it stands up to shifting.
The article does prove that the tranny eats up oil though. As the car was able to go 3600 miles and still have way more viscosity than after 800 in the bike.

Good article. Bet Spectro is shaking in their boots!

Later......................................./

  Ignore this member   
justoyz2


Zone Head
Justoyz Racing
Posts: 858
posted January 14, 2002 12:52 PM        
The Mobil 1 was a 15/50 weight and the rest were 10/40, plus it was a synthetic. I have been using Castol 20/50 for a long time and have had great results. I also used Mobil 1 20/50 syn oil. It deffently made my engine run quieter. I switched because of the price. Now I am using Castrol 20/50 with a bottle of Lucus (oil stabilizer). I have a 98 zx9r as well. I started getting crank wear(brass looking particles in the oil. I started using the lucus product with my oil, after talking with some truckers. They live whole heartly by this stuff. I tried it and cut the oil filter in half and believe it or not, there were no more brass particles in my oil.
  Ignore this member   
FNFAST


Parking Attendant
Posts: 5
posted January 14, 2002 02:26 PM        
nowhere did i see them speak about clutch slippage due to the friction reducing additives in automotive oils. this is the reason i do not use them. they do not even mention the clutch. flawed study!
  Ignore this member   
madmike


Moderator
FEAR THE BLACK FLAG!!!!!!!!
Posts: 6579
posted January 14, 2002 03:13 PM        
I believe that the added zinc in Motorcycle oils, make them more slick? so that would mean that the car oils are better for less slippage then the bike oil. I think ok now im totally confused! but I know that my clutchs lasted longer with the kendall then with synthetic bike oils.
mad mike
____________
200-MPH CLUB MEMBER!

  Ignore this member    Click here to visit MadMike's homepage. 
lubricity


Expert Class
Posts: 362
posted January 14, 2002 03:33 PM        
5 Gallons- $70.00 + 12 S&H
Royal Purple 15W40, 10W30, 5W30, 20W50, or 10W40

rich
____________
a poor 12 owner

  Ignore this member    Click here to visit lubricity's homepage. 
12RPilot


Pro
Posts: 1094
posted January 15, 2002 05:27 AM        
OK, I'm an idiot. Is Royal Purple Synth. or a blend?
____________
If you aren't an AMA member, you're part of the problem.
NESBA #209

http://www.bikepics.com/members/12rpilot/04zx10r/

  Ignore this member    Click here to send 12RPilot an ICQ message. Click here to add 1781480 to your ICQ list. 
hott-rodd


Novice Class
Posts: 96
posted January 15, 2002 06:57 AM        
What did I miss? The article did not include
Royal purple, and Doug said say away from off-beat
brands.

  Ignore this member   
Zx23rr


Expert Class
Mahogany Bomber Pilot
Posts: 242
posted January 15, 2002 07:56 AM        
What...

I also can take from the article is that you can use any oil you wish, as long as you change it very often. That is where a Semi or Synthetic oil has the advantage over petroleum based oils.
As for the clutch - Kawasaki recommends SG rated oils! That is what Motul is.. As for all the other brands, They are SJ at this time.(don't know what Spectro is?)
When I try Mobil One, I will be monitoring the clutch for slippage!


Later........................./

  Ignore this member   
ZXtra


Expert Class
Posts: 490
posted January 15, 2002 11:00 AM        Edited By: ZXtra on 15 Jan 2002 11:09
All about "Royal Purple"...
http://www.synerlec.com/

Also another synthetic oil, "Redline" (makers of waterwetter)
http://www.redlineoil.com/

-ZXtra
____________
The sixth sick sheik's sixth sheep's sick!

  Ignore this member   
kzz1


Zone Head
"Show me whatcha workin with"
Posts: 908
posted January 15, 2002 11:12 AM        
What would be interesting is doing a "seat of your pants/ dyno pull/quarter mile test to see if there is a difference in the type oil that is being used?
  Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX12R ZONE.com > Thread: interesting article on oil......... NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed


Copyright 2000-2026 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.21640110015869 seconds processing time