Yamaha unveils new 2013 FJR1300, updated FZ82012-10-02 22:59
Yamaha's well regarded FJR1300 gets a heavy work over for 2013, with all new electronics and updated styling the highlights. Also released at Intermot are relatively minor updates to the FZ8.
2013 Yamaha FJR1300
Yamaha Motor Corp U.S. is very excited to launch the new Supersport Touring 2013 FJR1300A.
The FJR 1300 has a long and decorated history within the motorsports world, and the original model created a new category of “Supersport Touring” motorcycles, with its silky smooth engine character, strong torque throughout the entire rpm range, outstanding stability, agility and riding comfort.
For 2013, the new FJR1300A will deliver a more exhilarating and comfortable ride through a new design that is more modern/sharp and technologically advanced. It now has features that improve on its already great performance and touring capability.
The FJR1300A gets a complete electronics overhaul with Supersport inspired features like Yamaha Chip Controlled Throttle (YCC-T), Traction Control (TCS) and D-Mode (Sport and Touring). All these technologies work in unison with an all new Cruise Control system to ensure an inspired ride.
The look of the FJR1300A has been completely modernized starting with a more aggressive shape and design of the front and side cowls. The windscreen has been changed and now goes up and down twice as fast and retains the same position when the key is removed.
The cockpit of the FJR1300A is completely new. The instrument cluster features three distinct easy to read panels. On the left is an analog tachometer, the center is a digital speedometer and to the right is a multi-dot digital display. The controls feature a multi-function handlebar switch system for operating the windscreen, heated grips and informational display, along with stand alone cruise control buttons.
The ability to carve up the road with confidence has long been a cornerstone of the FJR. With new front and rear suspension settings on the 2013 FJR1300A, it will be even easier, with or without a passenger on board. Standard ABS and Yamaha’s Unified Braking System also insure the 2013 FJR1300A braking performance is equally confidence inspiring.
The 2013 FJR1300A will be available in Stone Grey with an MSRP of $15,890 starting this October.
new for 2013:
- The upper cowl is redesigned while the under-cowl has a new shape for increased wind protection. The under-cowl's adjustable panel has a new design for rider convenience and can be adjusted without tools.
- The new adjustable windscreen improves rider comfort, the adjustment speed is now twice as fast and the screen holds its position when the key is turned off.
- The throttle body is redesigned, and the shape of the funnel and the shape and length of the exhaust pipe have been changed to use the new YCC-T system.
- The new Yamaha D-Mode system offers riders a choice of T-Mode or S-Mode. T-Mode provides good performance characteristics needed for touring. The S-mode maximizes the performance characteristics for a sportier ride.
- New cruise control adjusts speed via a single push to the switch or, for larger adjustments, by continuously pushing the switch. Application of the brakes, clutch or throttle automatically releases the cruise control function. There is also a "resume" function that returns the cruise control to the most recent setting.
- New handlebar switches on both the right and left control heated-grip temperature, electronic windscreen adjustments, and the instrument panel display. There is also a knob for headlight beam adjustment.
- FJR1300 features a traction control system to help provide smooth, consistent traction on wet road surfaces or unpaved roads for more rider confidence.
- The new dash and instrument panel offer modern styling with a threepart arrangement: an analog meter on the left, a digital speedometer in the center, and a multi-dot display on the right.
- The new fork design incorporates an aluminum piston rod and plunger and features a new spring rate. New rear shock damping and spring rate are revised for rider comfort, especially when riding with a passenger and/or rear cargo for a sportier ride.
- The engine's cylinders feature a liner-less design with direct plating to the cylinder wall for superior heat dissipation.
- Compact, lightweight 1298cc, DOHC, 16-valve, liquid-cooled inline four-cylinder engine delivers power and torque for an unequaled spread of muscle over a wide rpm range.
- Engine is a fully stressed chassis member, allowing for a lightweight frame design.
- Slant-block engine design uses stacked, tri-axis gearbox shafts that help minimize powerplant size while optimizing chassis geometry for balanced weight distribution and great handling.
- Lightweight forged pistons with carburized connecting rods provide superb strength and reduced reciprocating mass for outstanding highrpm durability and performance.
- Advanced fuel injection system is ideal for long-distance supersporttouring, delivering crisp, seamless throttle response in a variety of altitude/weather conditions.
- Low-vibration crankshaft with two gear-driven secondary counterbalancers help deliver an extra-smooth ride with reduced rider/passenger fatigue.
- Four-into-one-into-two stainless-steel exhaust optimizes engine performance across the powerband.
- New, sharp-looking bodywork and air-management system keep the bike and rider cooler; a central vent beneath the instrument panel cools the rider and reduces negative pressure for less buffeting, and fairing side panels with tool-less adjustability let the rider direct airflow.
- Long swingarm provides even better ride and handling characteristics, and rear spring preload adjustment is a snap.
- Standard equipment Unified Braking System w/ABS: The front brake lever activates six of the eight front braking pistons; the rear brake pedal activates two rear pistons and the other two front pistons provides balanced anti-lock braking in all conditions.
- Ergonomically shaped, large-capacity, 6.6-gallon fuel tank offers excellent comfort and range and is constructed of steel allowing for the use of magnetic tank bags.
- Rear frame with integrated grab handle makes lifting the bike onto the centerstand a snap.
- Dual catalyzers and an O2 sensor are located in the exhaust for excellent fuel injection control range and low emissions.
Additional Features :
- Heated grips come standard on the FJR1300A and offer riders even more convenience.
- Subframe-fitted quick-release luggage mounts provide easy use of the standard accessory hard sidecases***, which are conveniently matched to the ignition key.
- Slim profile even with bags in place for excellent in-town maneuverability.
- New suede-look dual seat features two-part construction using different foam densities for the front and rear sections, ensuring plush comfort for both rider and passenger.
- Newly designed windscreen adjusts over a wide range for improved wind protection with little negative pressure
- New sharp, "two-eyed" headlights with daytime LED running lights add to visibility and modern styling, and feature easy-access adjustment knobs so the rider can adjust the lights up or down.
- Glove box contains a 12V outlet for phones, GPS units, electric vests, etc.
- Standard tool kit located in convenient storage compartment under passenger seat.
Model: FJR13ADG / FJR13ADCG
Engine Type: 1298cc liquid-cooled inline 4-cylinder; DOHC, 16 valves
Bore x Stroke: 79.0 x 66.2mm
Compression Ratio: 10.8:1
Fuel Delivery: Fuel Injection
Ignition: TCI:Transistor Controlled Ignition
Transmission: 5-speed; multiplate wet clutch
Final Drive: Shaft
Suspension/Front: 48mm fork; fully adjustable, 5.3-in travel
Suspension/Rear: Single shock; adjustable preload and rebound damping, 4.9-in travel
Brakes/Front: Dual 320mm disc, UBS ABS
Brake/Rear: 282mm disc, UBS ABS
Tire/Front: 120/70-ZR17 radial
Tire/Rear: 180/55-ZR17 radial
L x W x H: 87.8 x 29.5 x 52.2 or 57.3 in
Seat Height: 31.7 or 32.5 in
Wheelbase: 60.8 in
Ground Clearance: 5.1 in
Rake (Caster Angle): 26.0°
Trail: 4.3 in
Fuel Capacity: 6.6 gal
*Est. Fuel Economy: N/A
**Wet Weight: 637 lb / CAL 639 lb
Color: Stone Gray
* Fuel economy estimates are based on US EPA exhaust emission certification
data obtained by Yamaha. Your actual mileage will vary depending on road
conditions, how you ride and maintain your vehicle, accessories, cargo, and
**Wet weight includes the vehicle with all standard equipment and all
fluids, including oil, coolant (as applicable) and a full tank of fuel.
It does not include the weight of options or accessories. Wet weight
is useful in making real-world comparisons with other models.
*** Accessory sidecases are standard equipment.
2013 Yamaha FZ8
Designed to put a huge smile on your face whether you’re commuting to work, riding around town or hitting the canyons, the FZ8 is more than up to the challenge. For 2013, the FZ8 is even better, with revised fuel injection settings, a more aggressive muffler, and fully adjustable front suspension (compression, rebound and preload) and rear suspension (compression and preload).
Ever stylish, the 2013 FZ8 will be available in Matte Grey/Black with an MSRP of $8,890 starting this February.
Click here to visit our forums to discuss this story
Tags: 2013, yamaha, new models, fjr1300, fz8
Tweets by @bikeland_org