A whole new Honda for 2012: the NC700X2012-01-20 07:30
Honda today announced details on their new NC700X.
Honda kicks off the new year with another 2012 model that brings a fresh look to the already extensive lineup of new machines. This latest addition, the NC700X, features adventure-bike styling, an all-new engine tuned for loads of real-world power, plus light and nimble handling thanks to a chassis design that emphasizes mass centralization and a low center of gravity. In addition, the NC700X offers the option of Honda's unique second-generation automatic Dual Clutch Transmission (DCT) and Combined Antilock Braking System together.
"This is a really exciting release for 2012 that brings a great new option to HondaÕs wide selection of motorcycles and ATVs for the new year," said Powersports Press Manager Bill Savino."This is a fun machine that will appeal to all kinds of riders, and with the option of having an automatic Dual Clutch Transmission for unrivaled ease of use, this bike will open the door to many potential newcomers to the sport as well. We are really proud of what the NC700X brings to the table as a motorcycle, but we're even more enthusiastic about how this bike can help expand interest in motorcycling for a whole new generation of riders."
NC700X / NC700X with DCT and Combined ABS
What do you see when you look at the 2012 Honda NC700X? An adventure-style bike? An urban assault commuter? A country road explorer? A two-up getaway machine? Or perhaps all of the above? Whatever your personal vision of the NC700X may be, color it fun because this is one bike that offers a perfect blend of style, handling and power for tackling whatever the day's agenda may hold. Credit its long-travel suspension, abundant torque and more, plus a six-speed gearbox or the choice of an automatic Dual Clutch Transmission with a Combined Antilock Braking System. So whether youÕre new to the sport, a longtime rider or just getting back into the riding scene, the NC700X offers the comfort, ease of use and practicality of an everyday motorcycle that's also surprisingly affordable. And to make things even better, a large array of available accessories allows owners to add just the right combination of capabilities to suit individual preferences. MSRP: Starting at $6999; Availability: Summer 2012
Check out the 2012 Honda NC700X, and what do you see? An adventure-style bike? An urban assault commuter? A country road explorer? A two-up getaway machine? Or perhaps all of the above? Whatever your personal vision of the NC700X may be, color it fun because this is one bike that offers a perfect blend of style, handling and power for tackling whatever the day's agenda may hold. Credit its long-travel suspension, abundant torque and more, plus a six-speed gearbox or the choice of an automatic Dual Clutch Transmission (DCT) with a Combined Antilock Braking System. So whether you're new to the sport, a longtime rider or just getting back into the riding scene, the NC700X offers the comfort, ease of use and practicality of an everyday motorcycle that's also surprisingly affordable.
- All-new liquid-cooled eight-valve 670cc parallel-twin engine pumps out plenty of torque in the low-end and midrange for easily accessible power.
- The impressively broad torque curve gives the NC700X an extraordinarily linear and smooth power delivery.
- Purpose-built engine architecture with a relatively long engine stroke (80mm combined with a 73mm bore diameter) and a high-inertia crankshaft add to the NC700X's extremely tractable power characteristics.
- The 62-degree forward lean given to the cylinder assembly facilitates near-vertical mounting of the single 36mm throttle body for superior intake port positioning and shaping. In addition, special shaping to the combustion chambers further enhances engine combustion efficiency for clean burning and optimal power production.
- Engine balancer shaft quells vibration for smooth, comfortable operation.
- Programmed Fuel Injection (PGM-FI) continuously monitors numerous variables to ensure the correct fuel mixture for existing riding and atmospheric conditions, thereby delivering optimal performance and remarkably crisp throttle response over a wide range of operating conditions.
- NC700X features manual six-speed transmission.
- NC700X DCT/ABS features a second-generation automatic six-speed Honda Dual Clutch Transmission that uses two hydraulically controlled clutches to deliver quick and smooth gear changes in a choice of three modes: Manual (MT), which allows the rider to shift gears using buttons, and two automatic (AT) modesÑS for sport riding and D for everyday use.
- DCT model also features Honda Combined ABS to provide full antilock functionality for powerful and secure braking action.
- Fuel tank located under the seat contributes to mass centralization and a low center of gravity, making the NC700X feel remarkably light.
- Large 21-liter secure internal storage area (positioned where the fuel tank typically rests in other models) accepts a helmet or other gear for added versatility.
- Fuel capacity of 3.7 gallons gives the NC700X a cruising range of nearly 240 miles.
- A rigid and compact diamond-shape steel frame, low center of gravity plus long-travel suspension help make the NC700X delightfully responsive and agile.
- Brawny 41mm front fork provides a full 6.0 inches of travel, while the Pro-Linkš single shock rear suspension system delivers an impressive 5.9 inches of wheel travel.
- Open, roomy ergonomics position the rider in a well-balanced seating position for all-day comfort.
- Modern adventure-bike styling gives the NC700X the look of an urban assault commuter as well as a country road explorer.
- Windscreen and bodywork route wind around the rider, adding to comfort and reducing fatigue.
- A large array of available accessories allows owners to add just the right combination of capabilities to suit individual preferences and expand their adventure.
Honda Genuine Accessories
- 45-Liter Rear Trunk, Rear Trunk Liner, 29-Liter Saddlebags, Saddlebag Liner Set, Saddlebag Panel Kit, Windscreen (High), Rear Carrier, Front Side Cowl Panel, Foot Deflector Kit, Leg Deflector Kit, LED Fog Light Kit, Front Accent Pipe, Heated Grips, 12V DC Socket Kit, Centerstand (Final accessories are TBD and are subject to change without notice)
- WARRANTY: Because we're so confident in the quality of each of our Honda Genuine Accessories, we're pleased to offer one of the best warranties in the industry. One-year warranty begins on the day accessories are purchased by the customer.
Model: NC700X / NC700X with Automatic Dual Clutch Transmission and Combined ABS
Engine Type: 670cc liquid-cooled parallel-twin
Bore and Stroke: 73mm x 80mm
Compression ratio: 10.7:1
Valve Train: SOHC; four valves per cylinder
Induction: PGM-FI with 36mm throttle body
Ignition: Digital transistorized with electronic advance
Transmission: Six-speed / Automatic six-speed with two modes and a manual mode
Final Drive: Chain
Front: 41mm fork; 6.0 inches travel
Rear: Pro-Linkš single shock with spring preload adjustability; 5.9 inches travel
Front: Single 320mm disc with two-piston caliper / Single 320mm disc with three-piston caliper
Rear: Single 240mm disc with single-piston caliper / Single 240mm disc with single-piston caliper; Combined ABS
Front: 120/70ZR17 radial
Rear: 160/60ZR17 radial
Wheelbase: 60.6 inches
Rake (Caster angle): 27.0¡
Trail: 110.0mm (4.3 inches)
Seat Height: 32.7 inches
Fuel Capacity: 3.7 gallons
Estimated Fuel Economy**: TBD
Color: Light Silver Metallic
Curb Weight*: 472 pounds / 505 pounds
*Includes all standard equipment, required fluids and full tank of fuelÑready to ride.
**Honda's fuel-economy estimates are based on EPA exhaust emission measurement test procedures and are intended for comparison purposes only. Your actual mileage will vary depending on how you ride; how you maintain your vehicle; weather; road conditions; tire pressure; installation of accessories; cargo, rider and passenger weight; and other factors.
Meets current CARB and EPA standards.
Specifications subject to change without notice.
Click here to visit our forums to discuss this story
Tags: 2012, new models, honda, nc700x
Tweets by @bikeland_org