BROOKES BATTLES TO 2ND AT OULTON BSB2012-07-07 23:56
Tyco Suzuki's Josh Brookes showed true Aussie grit in the opening British Superbike race at Oulton Park today, taking second place away from championship rival Shane Byrne at the final corner for 20 valuable points and two additional podium credits.
GSX-R1000-mounted Brookes now holds second place in the championship standings just 14 points and eight podium credits behind race winner Tommy Hill and will start tomorrow's opening race from the second row of the grid in fifth position.
Team mate Alastair Seeley's poor luck at the Cheshire venue continued: The Carrickfergus rider had converted his second-row grid-position into a potential top-five finish, before having to retire at the end of lap eight when the back brake locked solid on his Tyco Suzuki. Seeley's misfortune drops him to 10th place in the championship standings - 12 points outside the all-important top six. Seeley will start tomorrow's second race alongside his team-mate on the second row of the grid in sixth place.
"I'd like to say I knew I had it covered but it was a crazy race out there today. When Michael Laverty went down I was unsighted, so when Shane Byre lifted to avoid him I got bumped onto the grass. That let Tommy get away at the front but I worked my way back onto 'Shakey's' back wheel, but the only place I felt strong enough to make the pass was the final corner at Lodge. Fortunately all went to plan."
"I've plenty of luck here at Oulton... just a pity it's bad luck. I made a decent start, stayed out of trouble and when I got into a rhythm, the front group was coming back to me a bit, especially Nori. I thought they'd maybe start to have some tyre issues late in the race so I was confident of pushing through and maybe challenging for top three or four. I came into Druids and thought I'd gone back a gear too many as the bike was backing in; then the same thing happened only worse at Lodge. I looked down and saw the back brake disk glowing red hot, so that was my race run. I'm happy how I'm riding so hopefully we can pick up where we left off in tomorrow's two races."
Oulton Park, race one result:
1. Tommy Hill (Swan Yamaha)
2. Josh Brookes (Tyco Suzuki) +4.508s
3. Shane Byrne (Rapid Solicitors Kawasaki) +10.339s
4. Noriyuki Haga (Swan Yamaha) +15.746s
5. James Westmoreland (WFR Honda) +16.256s
6. Tommy Bridewell (Supersonic BMW) +16.803s
7. Chris Walker (Pr1mo Bournemouth Kawasaki) +17.070s
8. Peter Hickman (Buildbase BMW) +17.070s
9. Graeme Gowland (WFR Honda) +17.389s
10. Barry Burrell (Buildbase BMW) +30.100s
British Superbike Championship standings (after Oulton Park race one):
1. Tommy Hill (Swan Yamaha) 184
2. Josh Brookes (Tyco Suzuki) 170
3. Shane Byrne (Rapid Solicitors Kawasaki) 169
4. Michael Laverty (Samsung Honda) 122
5. Tommy Bridewell (Supersonic BMW) 87
6. Ian Lowry (Padgetts Honda) 79
Source: Team Suzuki Press Office
Click here to visit our forums to discuss this story