Results Supersport, TT Festival, Isle of Man

2007-06-06 13:04
Ian Hutchison takes maiden TT victory as Honda sweep podium places in dramatic Junior TT Molyneux and Long compete Sidecar TT double victory.

Ian Hutchinson scorched to an emotional first Isle of Man TT victory at race record pace aboard the HM Plant backed Honda CBR600RR. John McGuinness and Guy Martin completed a Honda 1-2-3 in the Centenary Supersport TT race.

The determined Yorkshire rider, Hutchinson, took charge of the four lap race after a traumatic mid-race pit-stop by Bruce Anstey. He had forged clear, but then struggled to fire up his Suzuki after the mid race stop to refuel.

It was a traumatic time for the popular Kiwi, as
he lost vital seconds and was left playing
catch-up. Hutchinson, having no worries after his
rapid pit-stop, fully exploited the problems of his rival to take charge.

Hutchinson was finally able to dispel the bitter
disappointment of his exclusion from the
corresponding race of last year when his hard
ride into second place came to nothing as a minor
breach of the technical regulations, of which the
rider knew nothing, was discovered at scrutineering.

"I just want to forget about that - at the time
it killed me being disqualified - but now I have
set the record straight by winning this Centenary
TT race. There are so many people over here this
year that have never been to the event before,
there has been so much close, safe racing, that
the event is on the crest of a wave," reflected Hutchinson.

Hutchinson had been in contention throughout,
although it looked as if he would have to settle
for a top three finish as Anstey continued where
he had left off from his sixth winning ride on
the Island in the previous afternoon's Superstock race.

Anstey powered in a record breaking 124.055mph
opening lap to be two seconds ahead of McGuinness
with Guy Martin and Hutchinson disputing
third. There was faster speeds to come on the
next lap with Anstey again providing the magic as
he charged around the 37.73 mile Mountain Course
in 18m 06.27secs, a speed of 125.041mph.

That put him almost five seconds clear, but that
counted for little as he pushed his bike three
quarters of the way along the pit-road before it
finally fired up but by then Hutchinson was ahead
by a third of a second up on McGuinness.

Martin moved third just ahead of Anstey who was
keen to get back in the hunt, but Hutchinson was
unaware that the Kiwi had experienced problems.
"I didn't realise it was Anstey until he came
past me on the road at Kirk Michael. I thought
then, I only have to stay with him now to win," explained Hutchinson.

He was enjoying being out front and extended his
lead over Padgetts Honda rider McGuinness to six
seconds although the Lancastrian upped his
challenge on the final lap, running at 125.096mph
to finish just three seconds down on a jubilant Hutchinson.

"It was a perfect run, no problems. The pit-stop
was superb and I don't think I made a mistake all
of the way through. I can still hardly believe
that I've done it. On the final lap I knew that
John (McGuinness) was closing in on me, but felt
comfortable that I could hold him. I didn't want
to push too hard in case I made an error. I was
concentrating really hard just to ensure that I
took my first win, and I'm really delighted," said Hutchinson.

McGuinness had to settle for second best: "It was
a fantastic race and Hutch deserved his victory.
He's done a good job and I am pleased for him,
though maybe I've taught him a bit too much."

Martin on the Hydrex Honda was not complaining
about third: "It's good, mint, but I've got to
try harder, and will be going for it in the Senior, no doubt about that."

Anstey, finishing fourth, took some consolation
as he upped his own record on his final lap in an
incredible time of 18m 05.35secs, an average
speed of 125.147mph, although Martin out-paced him at 125.161mph.

Dave Molyneux completed a winning Sidecar double,
though not without the unexpected help of a stray
dog. The victory in the opening race was racing
against time to fix and electronic problem that
threatened his participation in the three lapper
when race officials called a 15 minute delay to
allow marshals to catch the dog that was wandering on the course at Loch Glen.

Molyneux worked wonders, and was running fourth
on the opening lap as his fellow Manx driver Nick
Crowe, passengered by Daniel Sayle, forged clear,
upping the record on the second lap to
116.667mph, but within minutes he had ground to a halt with a blown engine.

Molyneux, who had carved a way through, was ahead
and powering away, with Rick Long in the chair,
his HM Plant Honda to his thirteenth victory on
the Island. "Unbelievable, these are the two most
unexpected victories of my career. A week ago I
didn't think it would happen. At the start we had
an electronic problem, but the start was delayed
and that gave me time to fix it. I didn't know
the reason at the time, but though I hate dogs,
I'll have this one as pet. I'll love it for ever."

John Holden.Andrew Winkle (Suzuki) took second
place ahead of Yamaha crew Steve Norbury and Scott Parnell.

Source: Honda Pro Image

Click here to visit our forums to discuss this story