HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > DRAGBIKE ZONE.com > Thread: new drag bike build 469 hp NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
KZScott

Needs a life
high on speed
posted June 24, 2018 02:06 PM        Edited By: KZScott on 24 Jun 2018 21:08
new drag bike build 469 hp

there doesnt seem to be much happening in here lately, so this might help wake things up a little bit.

Ive been piecing a bike together from old used parts, some new stuff and a lot of custom fabbed stuff. very budget oriented with lots of hrs into it, just spending money where we have to. the name of the game is user friendly as this bike is for my dad to get back into drag racing. all of the tuning is done with the factory ecu that has custom files created to use a gm3 bar map sensor to adjust fueling for boost.

motor specs
4.6mm weld up stroker crank (because i had one from Petes bike)
Carrillo h beams
custom tall deck wossner turbo pistons
hd valve springs
hand ported head by me, o ringed by Carpenter racing
stock cams with adj sprockets
R&D pro cut trans with billet lower first and billet second output gears
highly modified kawasaki stx jetski cylinder block (taller and closed deck)
muzzy basket, mtc multi stage lock up

we didnt want to get too long of an arm on the bike as traction has always been an issue on the track he will be going to. some tubing, ebay extensions and some tig welding later, a budget arm was born.

the next major hurtle was making the bike lower and getting room for the turbo without cramming everything in. theres no real class where this bike is going other than is it a bike, or a sled or a car, so without any major restrictions i raked the frame forward a few inches (not sure on the degrees). the frame also has a liquid air intercooler built into it, so moving the front end out allowed a super easy fit for its separate heat exchanger. with lots of room now to the rads i modified one of my very first turbo systems from several years ago to fit without requiring an oil relocator. (tipped it at the flange) much nicer to deal with just a filter than a bunch of hoses etc. this required new dump pipes and i did twins this time instead of merged.

i also made a new high volume tapered, baffled oil pan. im hoping that the new chassis setup with really low front and not much lower in the rear will help the issues caused by a hard launch. i see a growing trend in pst to get away from dry sumps and run a tapered pan with a super low front and over fill the system. it works for them so i hope it works for us.

the seating location has been moved forward and down. laying on the frame feels ok when you use the rear pegs but is difficult to use the factory pegs in their oem location. it may be a lot better if they were moved, but the bike will be air shifted so theres no huge need for it.

fuel cell and battery box combo was made to fit into the headlight area. it holds about 1 gal of fuel and a ytx20-bs lead acid battery. over kill on amps but good ballast and lots of reserve to run the cooling fan if needed with the bike off. lots of bracing was added in case of big wheelies. it also came in handy for stringing the oem harness on. i plan on eventually cutting a lot of the unnecessary bits out of the harness, but for now its mostly intact with more zip ties than a civic bumper.

in the colder weather the bike made 369 on pump gas, but this weekend it made 350 on pump and 469 on c16. i think its fairly conservative and feel no need to push it higher when chances are more power will just spin on the track anyway.

its close to being done. have to finish the shifter, clean up some wiring, and stay on the lookout for a cheap boost controller. the bleed style setup didnt work as well as planned. need to get a baseline clutch setup in and then see how it behaves. the stroker crank should have lots of grunt to get my old man off the line without needing much boost. the motor made around 180ish hp with no boost and makes 250 on spring (6 psi) which should be good for first gear.

ive also made a mechanical scavenge pump for the bike. no fancy cnc, just lots of cutting and welding. its done a couple days worth of tuning time so i think its made the cut

00 ZX-12R street turbo 1: 227.9 1.5: 234.1 Loring AFB
00 ZX-12R LSR turbo 1: 263.1 1.5: 266.5 Loring AFB Worlds fastest ZX-12R
CMG Racing RCC Turbos

Ignore this member   
ZX12-5807

Expert Class
posted June 29, 2018 05:03 PM        
Awesome build Scott! I haven't seen many turbo builds using a stroker crank. What turbo are you using?

Ignore this member   
fish_antlers

Administrator
The Truth is Out There
posted June 30, 2018 12:22 AM        
Muzzy basket... miss the muzzy stuff!

Ignore this member    Click here to visit fish_antlers's homepage. 
KZScott

Needs a life
high on speed
posted June 30, 2018 12:37 AM        
thank you. the cost and added labor involved typically isnt worth it to most people when the same power increase can be had for a couple more psi. I got the crank used and didnt see me using it any time soon so in it went (pretty sure ive had it for 2 yrs already lol). the added tq and wanting to experiment with the ski block made me want to use it. unlike any other stroker combo using a stock or muzzy or sbm block, the jet ski block has full piston skirt support at bdc. all of the previous combos pull the piston out of the bottom of the block quite a bit and i feel that having full support will have a longer life than the typical stroker build. you have to do a lot of clearancing for the bottom of the jugs and sort out oil feed, drains, and coolant passages, not to mention shortening the block some, but it came out nice and seems to work well so far.

the turbo is a journal bearing comp ct4 6265(i would likely pick something else if i were to start from scratch). it has a couple seasons of drag racing on it already from years ago. another reason for the stroker crank is that i wanted to be easier on the turbo. antilag is hard on them, so if it has the tq to get rolling off the line well just revving instead of needing a bunch of antilag to build extra boost, ill take the "na" power thats easier on the setup.
00 ZX-12R street turbo 1: 227.9 1.5: 234.1 Loring AFB
00 ZX-12R LSR turbo 1: 263.1 1.5: 266.5 Loring AFB Worlds fastest ZX-12R
CMG Racing RCC Turbos

Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va     Next Thread >
Quick Reply:

Email Notification: Send all replies to your email address.
BIKELAND > FORUMS > DRAGBIKE ZONE.com > Thread: new drag bike build 469 hp NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2015 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.26776385307312 seconds processing time