HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: Triple Tree/Upper Clamp Install Questions NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
JGIG73

Novice Class
posted May 26, 2015 02:52 PM        
Triple Tree/Upper Clamp Install Questions

Hi all, wanted to see if anyone installed a top clamp/triple tree before that could answer some questions. I got an 08 ZX14 with a new billet triple clamp I want to install.

Does the front end have to be lifted to do this? What is the best way? I heard of using a jack under the oil pan, or somewhere under the bike. I could get access to a cherry picker at a shop, but where is the best place to strap it?

Is the ignition part of the old triple, and what is involved to swap them?

Ignore this member   
INTIMIDA2OR

Needs a life
RED rider!
posted May 28, 2015 05:49 PM        
quote:
Hi all, wanted to see if anyone installed a top clamp/triple tree before that could answer some questions. I got an 08 ZX14 with a new billet triple clamp I want to install.

Does the front end have to be lifted to do this? What is the best way? I heard of using a jack under the oil pan, or somewhere under the bike. I could get access to a cherry picker at a shop, but where is the best place to strap it?

Is the ignition part of the old triple, and what is involved to swap them?

Yes all the weight needs to come off the front end.
Easiest and best way imho way is a block of wood under the exhaust and a floor jack.
Yes the ignition needs to be swapped. There are a couple ways to do it depending on what tools you have at your disposal.
Though they look like rivets they are really 2 screws with no tool removal heads on them.

Method one: cut large slots in the heads with a dremel equipped with a cut off wheel and cut large slots in them to use a large flat head screwdriver to unscrew them.

Method two : use a drill and large drill bit to drill the heads off . The ignition switch will come off and two little threaded studs will remain.

Method three: drill holes in the screws and use an easyout to un thread the screws.

*Lee*

Ignore this member   
JGIG73

Novice Class
posted May 29, 2015 02:25 AM        
I have a 2 Bros full system and heard some say that since the headers are such thin steel, it could crush under the weight, but seems to be fine with the stock headers. What about under the oil pan?
  Ignore this member   
INTIMIDA2OR

Needs a life
RED rider!
posted May 29, 2015 12:41 PM        
quote:
I have a 2 Bros full system and heard some say that since the headers are such thin steel, it could crush under the weight, but seems to be fine with the stock headers. What about under the oil pan?

Yeah they could crush , haven't had one crush in my shop yet but there's always a chance for a 1st .
The oil pan is fine just make sure all the weight of the bike isn't on the drain plug.

*Lee*

Ignore this member   
JGIG73

Novice Class
posted May 30, 2015 12:22 PM        Edited By: JGIG73 on 30 May 2015 13:24
Thanks for all the help and advice. Took quite a bit of work, but got it all done without problems.
[/URL]
[/URL]

Ignore this member   
INTIMIDA2OR

Needs a life
RED rider!
posted May 30, 2015 06:37 PM        
You're welcome!

*Lee*

Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: Triple Tree/Upper Clamp Install Questions NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2023 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.23014903068542 seconds processing time