HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: Help with 2012 fairing NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
toledoUPSguy

Expert Class
An old guy with a new toy
posted August 10, 2012 08:04 PM        
Help with 2012 fairing

A week ago one of the bolts on the bracket from the steering stem came out.

once it did the fairing did all sorts of shaking and vibrating. When I finally got it home I snapped this picture.

the gap between the tank cover and grills was nice and even when I took delivery and this is what it looked like after the shaking.

fast forward to today and after picking my bike up for the 600 mile service, a check on the lack of rear brake power and putting the bolt back in and realigning the fairing it still looks just like this one the right (brake) side. clutch side is perfect. interesting that they were supposed to fix this and when I checked bolts today not one single solitary bolt anywhere on the fairing was tight, heck not really even snug. In the grand scheme of life this fairing fit and finish issue isn't that great but it bugs the crap out of me, especially since it wasn't that way on delivery.

Is there someway to adjust this? I had the fairing off to put in mirrored turnsignal bulbs and really don't see how it could. Funny thing though, when you push in on the grill in the area of the big projection it sort of pops into place and the gap is much better. let off the pressure and it jumps back to how it looks in the picture. Any ideas?

Second question. Is there a source for the black plastic washers that go under the fairing bolts, specifically the 6 for the upper fairing covers. The hack that worked on my bike seems to have misplaced a couple of them.

Thanks in advance.

Ignore this member   
toledoUPSguy

Expert Class
posted August 10, 2012 08:11 PM        
Depending on how HOnda East wants to handle things will determine if it is worth talking about the other things the "professional mechanic" did.

Ignore this member   
smokinZX14

Needs a life
posted August 10, 2012 08:12 PM        
Mine looks just like that ... always has ... All you can do is make sure the grills are in the rubbers correctly ... I use a little WD40 so the pop in easier .. Washers you can get at ace hardware ..They are a little thicker but work fine ..

Ignore this member   
smokinZX14

Needs a life
posted August 10, 2012 08:20 PM        Edited By: smokinZX14 on 11 Aug 2012 04:22
There are two rubbers that the grill plug into ... large on on the top and a smaller one on the bottom They both get kind of pushed out or in at times .. Makes it hard to fit the panels ... Check both of the and make sure they are in place .. put a bit of WD40 on them and that will help the push pins into place without pushing the rubber out of place ... The tank cowl has one also and it get screwed up also .. so use the wd40 in it also .. Also check to mount at the front of the grills .. it has a rubber shield that needs to be in the right place or it will hold the grill to far out ..

Ignore this member   
smokinZX14

Needs a life
posted August 10, 2012 08:33 PM        

Ignore this member   
toledoUPSguy

Expert Class
posted August 10, 2012 08:37 PM        
Thank you Lee. are the washers as Ace hardware black? I found white ones at Home Depot but am looking for black.

Ignore this member   
lietoome

Needs a job
posted August 10, 2012 10:41 PM        
I ordered thin black washers online a few years ago, got me about 100 for cheap. I seem to lose them every time I work on the bike. I forgot where I ordered them, but it was well worth it to have plenty of back ups. Dealership losing them? Not acceptable.

I was never able to resource a good replacement locally, had to go online. Good luck, find a new dealership/mechanic===if they've already pissed you off, I doubt they will make the effort next time around.

Ignore this member   
smokinZX14

Needs a life
posted August 11, 2012 06:41 PM        
quote:
Thank you Lee. are the washers as Ace hardware black? I found white ones at Home Depot but am looking for black.
The ones i got at Ace were black .. They are a bit thicker ... But other than that they are the same ..

Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
Quick Reply:

Email Notification: Send all replies to your email address.
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: Help with 2012 fairing NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2014 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.652729988098 seconds processing time