HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: 2012 14R Alignment Issue NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
CraZX14

Expert Class
posted July 20, 2012 11:11 AM        
2012 14R Alignment Issue

Has anyone had any issues with the 2012 14R pulling to either the right or left? I may not have noticed the issue if i didn't drag race, but it is obvious when launching with any type of aggression. Even when not racing, taking hands off the bars will cause mine to pull strong to the right. And on a harder launch, it is damn near impossible to keep in a straight line. I was thinking that the bike was doing this only after lowering it, but now I'm convinced it has been doing it from day 1 and that I just hadn't realized it until taking it to the track a couple times and starting to get better on the launch. Smokin' and I talked about the issue and I've tried everything suggested to fix it but nothing has worked. The rear links have been removed, reset, and replaced, the tires replaced, and every measurement from front to rear has been checked and all looks perfect, but the bike still has the problem. If it was just a daily driver that never went to the track, it really wouldn't be as big of an issue, but considering I bought this thing to race, it is a huge dissapointment. I've had many bikes and have made many passes but have never experienced anything like this. My next step is to head back to Kawasaki and see what they can / will do (which I fear will be nothing). But if I knew of any other examples, that might carry some weight. Thanks for any input...

Ignore this member   
shiphteey

Needs a job
posted July 20, 2012 11:50 AM        
Tires?

Topping out everything from Ninja 250s to nitrous ZX-14s.

Ignore this member   
CraZX14

Expert Class
posted July 20, 2012 12:19 PM        
quote:
Tires?

Replaced

Ignore this member   
WARBIRD

Needs a job
posted July 20, 2012 01:02 PM        
Did you lower the front end? If you slid the forks up in the clamps you need to take careful measurment that they are EXACTLY the same height. The only other thing would be rear axle alignment......how are you determining the axle is straight in the swingarm? The marks are not always accurate. A laser is a good way........

Ignore this member   
WARBIRD

Needs a job
posted July 20, 2012 01:09 PM        
These guys are great at what they do.........give them a call.........

http://gmd-computrack.com/network.html

Ignore this member   
epd345

Pro
posted July 20, 2012 01:52 PM        
Is it possible your rear wheel is out of alignment?

Ignore this member   
Wheelie

Needs a life
Old Man
posted July 20, 2012 02:16 PM        
quote:
Has anyone had any issues with the 2012 14R pulling to either the right or left? I may not have noticed the issue if i didn't drag race, but it is obvious when launching with any type of aggression. Even when not racing, taking hands off the bars will cause mine to pull strong to the right. And on a harder launch, it is damn near impossible to keep in a straight line. I was thinking that the bike was doing this only after lowering it, but now I'm convinced it has been doing it from day 1 and that I just hadn't realized it until taking it to the track a couple times and starting to get better on the launch. Smokin' and I talked about the issue and I've tried everything suggested to fix it but nothing has worked. The rear links have been removed, reset, and replaced, the tires replaced, and every measurement from front to rear has been checked and all looks perfect, but the bike still has the problem. If it was just a daily driver that never went to the track, it really wouldn't be as big of an issue, but considering I bought this thing to race, it is a huge dissapointment. I've had many bikes and have made many passes but have never experienced anything like this. My next step is to head back to Kawasaki and see what they can / will do (which I fear will be nothing). But if I knew of any other examples, that might carry some weight. Thanks for any input...
Well I have to chime in on this one, the part that doesn't make any sense is where you say when you take your hands off the bars it will pull hard to the right? Then you say normal street riding you would not have noticed? If you were street riding one handed it should pull some yes?

So does it pull under acceleration or normal riding, or both? Now to my 14r, when I line up at the drag strip I have to aim slightly, very slightly to the left because Angus pulls a little to the right under wot, but remember I am getting 1.30+ 60ft times with a heavy rider, mine pulls some but not as bad as you are describing, but it will get me out of the groove and I have to use my body to get back in the groove if I don't aim it just right.

btw, all my 14's have done this, could be the torque of the engine, because when I do 120+ mph wheelies the bike wants to pull right, that was on my 01 Gixxer 1000, and 04 Gixxer 1000. Torque of the motor is my pulling, so I just hang off the left when I get to about 90mph and compensate.

If your 14r is pulling hard right under normal cruising something is wrong, if it's pulling right on a hard launch that's normal, I can't speak for little guys like Smokin, the lighter rider may not have the same drifting effect as a 225 pound rider.

wee

Ignore this member   
CraZX14

Expert Class
posted July 20, 2012 02:24 PM        
Thanks Warbird. The front end has not been lowered / altered. I've also heard that the marks aren't always 100%. The shop I have it at has a wheel alignment tool to check.

Ignore this member   
CraZX14

Expert Class
posted July 20, 2012 02:30 PM        
quote:
quote:
Well I have to chime in on this one, the part that doesn't make any sense is where you say when you take your hands off the bars it will pull hard to the right? Then you say normal street riding you would not have noticed? If you were street riding one handed it should pull some yes?

I have it at a shop now, Wee, and one of the guys there road races. He tested it and concurred that it pulls to the right when no hands are on the bars way more than normal. You can be going 30 mph or 80 - doesn't matter. But once hands off, after a second or so delay, it starts heading to the right. But even with one hand on, it isn't noticeable. At the strip launching with only a 1.5-something 60', it is very evident. I never noticed anything like this on my '06.

So does it pull under acceleration or normal riding, or both? Now to my 14r, when I line up at the drag strip I have to aim slightly, very slightly to the left because Angus pulls a little to the right under wot, but remember I am getting 1.30+ 60ft times with a heavy rider, mine pulls some but not as bad as you are describing, but it will get me out of the groove and I have to use my body to get back in the groove if I don't aim it just right.

btw, all my 14's have done this, could be the torque of the engine, because when I do 120+ mph wheelies the bike wants to pull right, that was on my 01 Gixxer 1000, and 04 Gixxer 1000. Torque of the motor is my pulling, so I just hang off the left when I get to about 90mph and compensate.

If your 14r is pulling hard right under normal cruising something is wrong, if it's pulling right on a hard launch that's normal, I can't speak for little guys like Smokin, the lighter rider may not have the same drifting effect as a 225 pound rider.

wee

Ignore this member   
CraZX14

Expert Class
posted July 20, 2012 02:38 PM        
quote:
quote:

wee

Wee - bike doesn't pull as long as one hand is on, but if both come off, after a second it is very evident. At the shop where it is at, one of the guys there is a road racer and once he tested it, confirmed that the pull was not normal. Once launches get into the 1.5-something 60' range, it is very clear that something is wrong. I had many passes on my '06 14 and it never felt anything like this.

Ignore this member   
smokinZX14

Needs a life
posted July 20, 2012 02:51 PM        Edited By: smokinZX14 on 20 Jul 2012 22:54
Wee has a point .. I do have to work at keeping the bike going straight , but i had to do the same thing on both my other zx14s .. My zrx would do it also ...I can tell you i work real hard at getting the rear axle just in the right place .. I use a motion Pro alignment tool and dail calipers to double check it ... As Wee said double check the the front tubes are dropped the same in the trees ...

I know we talked about you lowering links so i'm sure you fixed that problem .. I would also double check your swing arm , make sure it's TQ to specs and not lose The swing arm needs preload before the locking nuts are tightened. Check your steerting head bearings to see if they are lose or too tight ..I would get a buddy to help you hold the bike up right and level and lazer line the front tire to the rear tire ..

If all this looks good and checks out .. I'd start looking at your body on the bike .. If you are off center the bike will pull one way or another .. Think about your head weighing 10 pounds and add the weight of your helmet .. If your head or body if off center the is going to pull ... Just shifting your weight can and will make a bike turn .. Keep your eyes looking down track were you want to go , if you look away for just a second the bike will start to drift the way you are looking .. Even if you can look down at your tach the bike will start to drift .. I'm not saying this is what your are doing or your problem but it just could be the problem ..

All drag racers have this happen at some point ..Bike set up , rider , track can all cause this problem ..

Ignore this member   
CraZX14

Expert Class
posted July 20, 2012 03:26 PM        
quote:
Wee has a point .. I do have to work at keeping the bike going straight , but i had to do the same thing on both my other zx14s .. My zrx would do it also ...I can tell you i work real hard at getting the rear axle just in the right place .. I use a motion Pro alignment tool and dail calipers to double check it ... As Wee said double check the the front tubes are dropped the same in the trees ...

I know we talked about you lowering links so i'm sure you fixed that problem .. I would also double check your swing arm , make sure it's TQ to specs and not lose The swing arm needs preload before the locking nuts are tightened. Check your steerting head bearings to see if they are lose or too tight ..I would get a buddy to help you hold the bike up right and level and lazer line the front tire to the rear tire ..

If all this looks good and checks out .. I'd start looking at your body on the bike .. If you are off center the bike will pull one way or another .. Think about your head weighing 10 pounds and add the weight of your helmet .. If your head or body if off center the is going to pull ... Just shifting your weight can and will make a bike turn .. Keep your eyes looking down track were you want to go , if you look away for just a second the bike will start to drift the way you are looking .. Even if you can look down at your tach the bike will start to drift .. I'm not saying this is what your are doing or your problem but it just could be the problem ..

All drag racers have this happen at some point ..Bike set up , rider , track can all cause this problem ..

Thanks, Lee. I've actually given up on trying to figure it out myself and have a reputable builder looking at it now. Unfortunately, although this shop also admits there is a problem, they are also scratching their heads trying to figure it out. I appreciate you guys brainstorming also.

Ignore this member   
Wheelie

Needs a life
Old Man
posted July 20, 2012 03:32 PM        
quote:

What about a wheel bearing?

wee

Ignore this member   
WRECKSHOP

Expert Class
posted July 20, 2012 03:39 PM        
Go to different track and see if it happens. Also to much rear squat can cause this too .
  Ignore this member   
kawanator

Novice Class
posted July 20, 2012 08:49 PM        
Just a thought to add to the brain storming

My bikes used to always pull to the left, and I remember checking if the rear wheel was following the front wheel, after a while I realised it is because our roads are cambered to the left because we ride on the LHS. In the US your roads will be cambered to the right !

Ignore this member   
CraZX14

Expert Class
posted July 21, 2012 07:30 AM        
quote:
Just a thought to add to the brain storming

My bikes used to always pull to the left, and I remember checking if the rear wheel was following the front wheel, after a while I realised it is because our roads are cambered to the left because we ride on the LHS. In the US your roads will be cambered to the right !

I appreciate the thought and this was considered early on. However, I can be on the left side of the road, and if the bars are "hands-free", my bike will easily climb over any camber and get back to the right side of the road. If I try hands free from the right side of the road, I will be eating dirt, guard rail, etc. in a couple seconds

Ignore this member   
blue07

Expert Class
posted July 21, 2012 08:04 AM        Edited By: blue07 on 21 Jul 2012 16:06
You don't have a HUGE tumor or something going on ya didn't tell us about,do ya(I hope not)

Ignore this member   
RickyC

Parking Attendant
posted July 21, 2012 10:43 AM        
Would having different settings between the front forks cause the bike to pull?

Ignore this member   
blue07

Expert Class
posted July 21, 2012 12:50 PM        Edited By: blue07 on 21 Jul 2012 20:56
Well...I was riding today...your post ran across my mind.I removed my hands from the bars...(i have a throttlemiester)......she did indeed want to 'lean' right.I don't mean...TURN...I mean,lean,like there was some added weight to the right side of the bike.As soon as I repositioned myself (without grabbing the bars)...she straightened back up.Tracking straight and all.I don't know if this is what you're talking about...it kinda doesn't sound like the same thing?My 07 had the same kind of 'lean' to the right....not a turning lean...just the whole bike.Same deal.I can easily straighten er back up without drama just by holding the tank,or moving forward or backward in the seat(OR...gently 'leaning' to the left until she starightens up...then I straighten up as well...it corrects it...but she still does tend to lean to the right..as opposed to leaning to the left).In fact...she's never leaned to the left when removing my hands.I think the road camber has something to do with it...although I know that was mentioned here and 'maybe' ruled out?I can't really 'detect' the road camber...but it is there....So..it doesn't seem like something's wrong...with mine anyway.Both my 14's did this.Maybe the torque has something to do with it...at particular rpms and gearing combos?IDK.I ride kinda often just setting the throttlemiester and riding without holding the bars...just to get a good feel for the machine.She's very stable actually.
  Ignore this member   
blue07

Expert Class
posted July 21, 2012 01:01 PM        
Next time i ride...I'll try it again...one that has no camber or something...they're around...off the main highways anyhow.I usually find that tensing up will make the bike MORE prone to 'leaning' like that...so IDK WHAT's causing mine really.Or yours...When I acellerate hard...I get nothing but straight tracking...no 'off center' deals at all.That's pretty strange sounding...having it actually pull to the right.
  Ignore this member   
kawanator

Novice Class
posted July 21, 2012 03:45 PM        
There does seem to be something wrong with your bike, could be a shock or swing arm out of alignment, please keep us posted when you identify the fault, and good luck with it !
  Ignore this member   
kawanator

Novice Class
posted July 21, 2012 03:47 PM        
BTW, I would take it to the dealer so that they have it documented even if they can't fix it straight away, so that it is covered by warranty.
  Ignore this member   
1badzx12r

Needs a life
posted July 21, 2012 03:51 PM        Edited By: 1badzx12r on 21 Jul 2012 23:52
i know what it is ..but i'll let the reputable builder tell you..

Ignore this member   
shawnski

Pro
posted July 21, 2012 04:09 PM        
quote:
BTW, I would take it to the dealer so that they have it documented even if they can't fix it straight away, so that it is covered by warranty.

yah right.. dealer will tell you about all the after market parts you add on and it won't be under warranty.. forget about stealership and kawasaki..

Ignore this member   
shawnski

Pro
posted July 21, 2012 04:14 PM        Edited By: shawnski on 22 Jul 2012 00:15
quote:

did your bike did that before the modifications ( stock )?? if not maybe something not right with the arm or how it was installed..

Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va [ This thread is 5 pages long: 1  2  3  4  5     Next» ] < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
Quick Reply:

Email Notification: Send all replies to your email address.
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: 2012 14R Alignment Issue NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2014 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.886553049088 seconds processing time