HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: Testing Power one Vs hookup... NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
smokinZX14

Needs a life
posted June 15, 2012 03:22 PM        
Testing Power one Vs hookup...

Drag strip testing the power one Vs shinko hookup ..

I have had 3 drag strip trips on my new power one and 3 trips to the track on my Shinko hook up ... Two of the 3 trips the power one didin't hook well , one trip it worked great .. Could have been the track prep or just the tire .. I'll let you guys make the call after looking at the numbers and the pictures ..

The hook up is much shorter than the power one and is very flat unlike the power one that has a very tall crown .. Power one at 15 PSI shows about 4 inches of contact on the strip .. The hook up shows 5 and 1/2 inches of track contact at 18 PSI ..

The hook up has never spun on me at 18 PSI out of the hole , it has spun at times on the big end of the track at about the 1000 foot mark ... The power one has also spun on the big end ... Again it could be track prep or track temps ..

My thinking is 5 and 1/2 is better than 4 inches anyday .. Also the cost of the hook up is much better than the power one ... It does seem to me that the power one is wearing better than the Hook up and may last a lot longer than the Shinko hook up .. Does all that matter if the tire doesn't work ?

The picture below is is the Power one on the top at 15 PSI and the Shinko Hook up below at 18 PSI ..

Ignore this member   
smokinZX14

Needs a life
posted June 15, 2012 03:25 PM        Edited By: smokinZX14 on 15 Jun 2012 22:28
Power one

Shinko hook up

Notice how gummy the hook up is Vs the power one ... Everything sticks to the hook up, rocks , sticks , dirt anything and everything , it's rubber is much softer and stickier ..

Ignore this member   
01smokes

Needs a job
posted June 15, 2012 03:31 PM        
How do you feel they compare to the 008??

Email, artvgl@yahoo.com

Ignore this member   
smokinZX14

Needs a life
posted June 15, 2012 03:37 PM        
quote:
I find the Hook up to work just as good as the 008 slick ( maybe better on the track than the 008 and i lke the 008) I can't say on the street because i have never tested either on the street ..

Ignore this member   
Wheelie

Needs a life
Old Man
posted June 15, 2012 03:43 PM        
quote:
quote:
I find the Hook up to work just as good as the 008 slick ( maybe better on the track than the 008 and i lke the 008) I can't say on the street because i have never tested either on the street ..
Got a new Hook-Up sittin in the garage, just waiting to install it, it's been 4 weeks since I've been to the track, it's HOT in Dallas, if the 008 is still hooking good I will run it till it's worn out, then try the HU.

wee

Ignore this member   
smokinZX14

Needs a life
posted June 15, 2012 03:50 PM        
quote:
quote:
quote:
Got a new Hook-Up sittin in the garage, just waiting to install it, it's been 4 weeks since I've been to the track, it's HOT in Dallas, if the 008 is still hooking good I will run it till it's worn out, then try the HU.

wee
I think you will like the hook up .. Wee just keep in mind it is shorter than the 008 , so your pizza might turn into a XXX large pizza ..

Ignore this member   
Shane661

Needs a life
posted June 15, 2012 04:39 PM        Edited By: Shane661 on 15 Jun 2012 23:42
Good info, Lee. I always use the Power One, but at my local track (MIR) the prep is very good, and it can hook on a 65" bike at 25 psi of tire pressure. A big advantage to the Power One, for street riders, is that it will actually handle well because of the roadrace-style profile. For a street/strip swb or mildy stretched bike that will be very handy.

We also can't use Shinko U-softs, or hook ups for LSR. They heat up too quick and shred over the 1 mile distance.

Shane

Ignore this member   
smokinZX14

Needs a life
posted June 15, 2012 04:51 PM        
quote:
Good info, Lee. I always use the Power One, but at my local track (MIR) the prep is very good, and it can hook on a 65" bike at 25 psi of tire pressure. A big advantage to the Power One, for street riders, is that it will actually handle well because of the roadrace-style profile. For a street/strip swb or mildy stretched bike that will be very handy.

We also can't use Shinko U-softs, or hook ups for LSR. They heat up too quick and shred over the 1 mile distance.

Shane
I can see where it would be a better tire for LSR and for everyday street riding ..Like i said i have never tired them on the street so i have no feed back to give .. Remember i'm light and long so i need all the rubber on the track i can get ..

Ignore this member   
08green

Expert Class
posted June 15, 2012 05:41 PM        Edited By: 08green on 16 Jun 2012 00:42
Whats the weight for both?

Ignore this member   
smokinZX14

Needs a life
posted June 15, 2012 05:45 PM        
quote:
Whats the weight for both?
Sorry i didn't weight them ... Shane may have , we can ask him and see ..

Ignore this member   
Wheelie

Needs a life
Old Man
posted June 15, 2012 05:49 PM        
New HU weighs 13.12

wee

Ignore this member   
Shane661

Needs a life
posted June 15, 2012 06:31 PM        
The Power One 190/50 weighs about 12 lbs 9 oz. I haven't weighed a Hook Up, but the P1 is lighter than all of the other street/strip tires that I have weighed.

The P1 is really for a different market than the Hook Up. It just also happens to work really well as a drag tire in many cases, also. You have to pick the right tire for your application, setup and track.

Shane

Ignore this member   
BLK ICE

Pro
we'll leave the light on for u
posted June 15, 2012 07:18 PM        Edited By: BLK ICE on 16 Jun 2012 03:38
Smokin,
Thanks for the unbiased opinion. My findings are same as yours.

I have asked owners of some of the top drag racing teams which tire is better. The response I got was "both of them work". However, many of the top race teams get the power 1 for free or at a reduced rate.

I would like to add that the hook-up will yield a lower dyno number due to the larger contact patch (rolling resistance) and the tire simply disintegrating @ very high horse power levels due to its very soft compound.

BlackIce

Repersenting: BLACK ICE PERFORMANCE and NO QUARTER MOTORSPORTS
Nitrous and Tires Sponsored by: Custom Specialties Cycles
Dyno Tuned by: Garron of ADAMS PERFORMANCE. http://www.adamsperformance.net/
BlackIce Performance: Honor, Freedom, Love of Country!
(I am open to Sponsorship and Product Testing and Review. Contact BlackIce Performance at blackice_performance@yahoo.com) or BlackIce Perf on Facebook

Ignore this member   
Bently

Needs a life
2012 14r In Blue and no Mods!
posted June 15, 2012 07:20 PM        
I've been saying for two seasons the hook up flat works! we have them on all 5 bikes in our group from 64 inches to 69 inches and 405 hp.
  Ignore this member   
BLK ICE

Pro
we'll leave the light on for u
posted June 15, 2012 08:11 PM        Edited By: BLK ICE on 16 Jun 2012 03:40
The hook-up 180-55-17 weighs less and has a larger contact patch than the power1 190-50-17.

BlackIce

Repersenting: BLACK ICE PERFORMANCE and NO QUARTER MOTORSPORTS
Nitrous and Tires Sponsored by: Custom Specialties Cycles
Dyno Tuned by: Garron of ADAMS PERFORMANCE. http://www.adamsperformance.net/
BlackIce Performance: Honor, Freedom, Love of Country!
(I am open to Sponsorship and Product Testing and Review. Contact BlackIce Performance at blackice_performance@yahoo.com) or BlackIce Perf on Facebook

Ignore this member   
smokinstorm

Expert Class
Old Drag Racer
posted June 16, 2012 01:37 AM        
quote:
The hook-up 180-55-17 weighs less and has a larger contact patch than the power1 190-50-17.

BlackIce

But beware the 180-55/17 if you're a light rider and/or you race at a track that has questionable track prep or you'll spin the whole way down the track. 190 hookup, no such problem. Just my experience.
2001 GSXR 1000
Looking for a 1985 GS1150E

Ignore this member   
madnessracing

Pro
Vmax and Busa Beater
posted June 16, 2012 09:03 AM        
All I got to say that I didnt get good results with the hook up, all my good passes were done with a slick or power one.

Ignore this member   
quikgix

Expert Class
posted June 16, 2012 04:51 PM        
My fastest 60' are with the 190 Hook up.

Ignore this member   
smokinZX14

Needs a life
posted June 16, 2012 05:12 PM        
quote:
My fastest 60' are with the 190 Hook up.
I also had my best 60 footer on the hook up and my highest MPH..I did have my fastest ET on the power one ... I still have the hookup and may reinstall it ... I want to give this power one a few more trys before i call it good or bad .. Track prep around here has not been that great lately and i'm sure the heat is not helping the problem .. I'll know more in a few weeks with more testing ... I hope .....

Ignore this member   
Shane661

Needs a life
posted June 16, 2012 05:19 PM        Edited By: Shane661 on 17 Jun 2012 00:19
Lee, my Power Ones will pick up kitchen utensils after a burnout....they are sticky. Last time I got off the dyno, the tire was covered in all kinds of stuff by the time I rolled it into the trailer! Maybe a little more heat on the tire? You may also need to change your shock settings some to get the most out of it? Just some ideas, no doubt the Hook Up is a great tire for the app....

Shane

Ignore this member   
Audioboyz

Expert Class
posted June 16, 2012 05:40 PM        
MIR is too far to take my street bike..I went 3 years in a row for shows.Never saw a track where their track prep is so good.I remember when they had their Nitro jam they invited people to walk on the track.That was so cool.
Craig

Ignore this member   
smokinZX14

Needs a life
posted June 16, 2012 05:48 PM        
quote:
Lee, my Power Ones will pick up kitchen utensils after a burnout....they are sticky. Last time I got off the dyno, the tire was covered in all kinds of stuff by the time I rolled it into the trailer! Maybe a little more heat on the tire? You may also need to change your shock settings some to get the most out of it? Just some ideas, no doubt the Hook Up is a great tire for the app....

Shane
I did readjust the shock to get it to work as good as it did .. Longer burnout seemed to make it spin more .. Short burn out worked the best ..

Ignore this member   
justoyz2

Zone Head
Justoyz Racing
posted June 16, 2012 06:32 PM        
Lee,

The hook-up was designed to compete against the MT-shootout tire (MCR-something).
I remember when Chris Jones was telling me about it prior to it's release. I have been using them for a while. They don't last that long, but you don't have to burn it out much to get the temp up to your desired measurement.

Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
Quick Reply:

Email Notification: Send all replies to your email address.
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: Testing Power one Vs hookup... NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2011 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.745745897293 seconds processing time