HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: HELP!! Dynojet Wideband Commander LCD 200 install NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
new14rider

Novice Class
posted June 11, 2012 05:43 PM        
HELP!! Dynojet Wideband Commander LCD 200 install

Anyone install this setup on a 2012 zx14-R?????? The instructions are too general and more like an excerpt from an electricians training manual. I have nooooooooooooo idea where to plug all these wires into.

I figured the following on my own:

Black ground wire

RPM wire (white/blue) to #1 coil ground wire ? but if we have 4 coils wouldn't that give me 1/4 the actual rpm if I'm on one wire?

Power wire to headlight wire (not sure why I need a fuse tap????)

I don't understand what the analog input wire is or where it connects as well as the sensor ground.

and I guess the LCD is a direct plug and play module to the Wideband commander. None of which works directly with the Power Commander V? I do have the map switch that I need to install.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ignore this member   
justoyz2

Zone Head
Justoyz Racing
posted June 11, 2012 06:15 PM        
You have everything correct so far. The analog wire is not needed unless you are trying to monitor something else, like gear posistion. You will need a terminator plug in order to make it work properly.... I have completed several setups.... w/LCD200 you should be able to switch maps via the screen.

If it's too much or you are feeling stressed, take it to a shop or a good friend to hook it up for you.

Ignore this member   
new14rider

Novice Class
posted June 11, 2012 07:35 PM        
Thanks for the help. No one in my town can help me. The last shop installed new tires with 14 wheel weights on my bike. It still isn't balanced. They are supposed to be the best. Had 3 bikes get destroyed by shops here. This is why I do it all myself now. I'm building this bike to beat the current Bonneville record in the modified production class. If I'm correct it is currently under 202 mph.

So I don't need the analog wire for throttle position? Dynojet says ",0-5v variable voltage analog signal- - - If you want to see throttle position in your data logs you will need to wire that input signal and define what the signal is". Have no clue on this Earth what that means....

This is from the source ". The Wideband Commander needs a ground reference for the signal you are wanting to input. For example, if you input a 0-5 volt throttle position voltage signal, you need to tap into the TPS ground wire with our digital ground wire to use as a ground reference to this signal."

12v “Fused key on power source” do need to use a fuse tap and tap into the fuse or just tap into the headlight wire after the fuse before light???? again completely numb in the brain on this.

I'm lost so far......... What the heck???????? I don't understand motorcycle electrical so I don't get what they are saying.

Thanks!!!

Ignore this member   
KoflaOlivieri

Expert Class
posted June 11, 2012 08:13 PM        Edited By: KoflaOlivieri on 12 Jun 2012 03:14
Have you ever attended track days in Phoenix, Arizona? It's not far from Tucson, maybe one of those guys can refer you to a great tuner that can help you in or near that area.

http://sbktraining.com/Tracks.html
1977 Kawasaki KZ 1000
1975 Kawasaki Z1 900
1974 Kawasaki H2 750
1972 Kawasaki H2 750

Ignore this member    Click here to visit KoflaOlivieri's homepage. 
Bad in Black

Expert Class
posted June 11, 2012 09:17 PM        
quote:
Thanks for the help. No one in my town can help me. The last shop installed new tires with 14 wheel weights on my bike. It still isn't balanced. They are supposed to be the best. Had 3 bikes get destroyed by shops here. This is why I do it all myself now. I'm building this bike to beat the current Bonneville record in the modified production class. If I'm correct it is currently under 202 mph.

So I don't need the analog wire for throttle position? Dynojet says ",0-5v variable voltage analog signal- - - If you want to see throttle position in your data logs you will need to wire that input signal and define what the signal is". Have no clue on this Earth what that means....

This is from the source ". The Wideband Commander needs a ground reference for the signal you are wanting to input. For example, if you input a 0-5 volt throttle position voltage signal, you need to tap into the TPS ground wire with our digital ground wire to use as a ground reference to this signal."

12v “Fused key on power source” do need to use a fuse tap and tap into the fuse or just tap into the headlight wire after the fuse before light???? again completely numb in the brain on this.

I'm lost so far......... What the heck???????? I don't understand motorcycle electrical so I don't get what they are saying.

Thanks!!!
Skip it, its overkill anyway imo. I have a turbo 14, and am just running a pcIII with boost/fuel pressure gauges,and am adding an LM-1 data logger/afr meter to tune it. I thought about trying out the wideband/LC200 set-up, but dynojet makes everything too expensive and over-complicated
It sounds like its going to be one of those long running battles for you trying to get it all working right. You have enough on your hands already getting your bike finished and tuned for your run. I wouldn't hassle with the whole wideband/LC200 mess unless there's some aspect of it you think you HAVE to have for your run. Keep it simple and just go with what you really need

Ignore this member   
almost_les

Zone Head
posted June 11, 2012 10:08 PM        Edited By: almost_les on 12 Jun 2012 05:17
its almost all plug and play. just needs +12v switched power and a ground. for you "fused power source" you can just tap into anything that turns on with the bike. fuel pump, tail lights, etc... rpm and other info is pulled from the pcv. i use my WB2/LCD/PCV for both autotuning and datalogging. very simple to set up and tune. it's actually very versatile once you start using more of its funcions. you can do things like different maps/autotune tables per gear. switching maps, boost referenced trim tables, diy quickshifter. even different kill times per gear. perfect for something with an auto tranny

you're making it seem over complicated by trying to set it up as if you were running it by itself. unless you are not running a pcv, in which case i'm just blowing smoke out my ass

Ignore this member   
LandspeedLarry

Expert Class
posted June 12, 2012 07:35 AM        
New14 rider: What Bonneville organization are you planning to run with this summer? SCTA, BUB, USFRA ? Trying to see what record you are shooting for as your description doesn't quite match. LMK maybe I can help. LSL

Ignore this member   
entropy

posted June 12, 2012 08:08 AM        
quote:
New14 rider: What Bonneville organization are you planning to run with this summer? SCTA, BUB, USFRA ? Trying to see what record you are shooting for as your description doesn't quite match. LMK maybe I can help. LSL

new14rider,
i hope you appreciate who is offering to help you.

Larry is THE name in LSR, both asphalt & salt, and he is one of the most generous people on the planet, freely sharing his experience.

Ignore this member   
new14rider

Novice Class
posted June 12, 2012 01:25 PM        
Hi Larry,
I was looking over the 2012 Rules and Records for the Southern California Timing Association Dry Lake Speed Trials and found the Bonneville motorcycle records for the 1350 class: M-G Vance and Forstall Racing 08/10 190.056 mph. I am assuming this is correct. But then again, I have had the book for a week and am on my own, building my own bike. I am assuming the 1441 cc engine falls in that class? I will probably be running the bike next year.

Thanks Larry! and am very excited to become part of the lsr community!
Sincerely,
Greg

Ignore this member   
new14rider

Novice Class
posted June 12, 2012 06:58 PM        
PCV attached to Wideband Commander/LCD to get RPM reading?

quote:
its almost all plug and play. just needs +12v switched power and a ground. for you "fused power source" you can just tap into anything that turns on with the bike. fuel pump, tail lights, etc... rpm and other info is pulled from the pcv. i use my WB2/LCD/PCV for both autotuning and datalogging. very simple to set up and tune. it's actually very versatile once you start using more of its funcions. you can do things like different maps/autotune tables per gear. switching maps, boost referenced trim tables, diy quickshifter. even different kill times per gear. perfect for something with an auto tranny

you're making it seem over complicated by trying to set it up as if you were running it by itself. unless you are not running a pcv, in which case i'm just blowing smoke out my ass

Thanks! I do have a PCV and quick shifter installed. Does the Wideband commander with LCD plug into the pc5???? Is that how your seeing the rmps on your lcd???

Also, Do you keep your O2 sensor installed in your exhaust permanently or do you take it out when you race and your not logging? Does keeping it in cause a disturbance in exhaust flow? or overheating the sensor/plastic??? If you do take it out, do you just hang it with a tie or uninstall it.
Thanks!!!

Ignore this member   
almost_les

Zone Head
posted June 12, 2012 08:29 PM        Edited By: almost_les on 13 Jun 2012 03:43
https://cart.dynojet.com/p-2033-dynojet-can-link-cable-6-male-to-male.aspx
all of it them are plug and play interface. you can run pcv/lcd, pcv/wb2, and/or all three. just needs a jumper. be sure to use the "can terminator plug" that comes with the wideband2 in the one unused port.

also, it is the wideband commander 2, correct? if its the original wideband commander, you're screwed.

this:

not this:

Ignore this member   
almost_les

Zone Head
posted June 12, 2012 08:34 PM        
my o2 sensor is always in and active.
  Ignore this member   
new14rider

Novice Class
posted June 12, 2012 08:57 PM        
Thanks! I have the Wideband Commander 2 and have the plug in a bag that says must use. I think that is the plug you are speaking of. I don't have the extra connector for the PCV to Wideband2. I guess I'll call Dynojet. Looks like everything is about finished except for splicing the red wire to the running light above the headlight and the two ground wires to the frame.
Now if I could just find someone who can install tires on some BST wheels I can get the Galfer wave rotors, Driven sprocket, D.I.D. chain, and titanium fasteners on in the garage........ I'll be good to go.

Thanks for all the info!!!!!

Ignore this member   
almost_les

Zone Head
posted June 12, 2012 09:06 PM        Edited By: almost_les on 13 Jun 2012 04:13
here is my setup:
can terminator in the pcv, jumper to wb2, and then cable to lcd. spliced directly into the main harness on a 2002 zx12r.

tapped into taillight for switched power. the two green wires go to the quickshifter, and the third input wire gives me speed/gear

make sure you ground both the black and black/white wires on the wb2. the black/white would normally be grounded to your tps sensor if running the wb2 as a standalone system, but since it will be hooked up to your pcv for tps data, a good chassis ground will do

Ignore this member   
LandspeedLarry

Expert Class
posted June 12, 2012 10:06 PM        
Greg: The 190. record you mentioned has a maximum displacement of 1350cc. so you would be in the next class up which is 1650 and that record is 200.8 Also M/G does stand for modified on gasoline which you are but signifies competing with no fairing. The faired record is 218. Regardless of what you plan, don't let the records scare you away. Everyone's first year is a learning experience. Some things you should do are lower the bike, and fill the swingarm with lead shot. I would just buy a 06-11 arm as it bolts on and they are pretty cheap. SCTA does require specific tires which for you is a waste of $$ as the stockers would work fine. LSL

Ignore this member   
new14rider

Novice Class
posted June 15, 2012 12:20 PM        
Thanks LSL!

Can you tell me if I can use Brock's front end lowering straps on Bonneville??? What about a single front brake rotor???? If I fill the swingarm with lead shot, is it reversable??? I never heard about that. I'm going to use DOT RACE tires with hard rubber center. I have a set of Micheline Pilot Pures, but those are out as they are street tires and not specified as race. I also want to find out about tire shaving. Man, I have a lot of questions. Good chatting with you!! I better get onto the landspeed forums as I am now officially off topic!!

Greg

Ignore this member   
LandspeedLarry

Expert Class
posted June 16, 2012 01:00 PM        
No, front end straps are not legal; just slide the tubes up. If you made the fill plug big enough, you could remove the shot but it is still easier just to get another arm. Single brake rotor is not necessary, leave the two or just remove the front brakes altogether (That way they won't get corroded). Tire shaving is not necessary under 250mph. My email is larryforstall at a o l dot com. Glad to answer any questions. LSL

Ignore this member   
new14rider

Novice Class
posted June 18, 2012 07:40 PM        
It's All together but won't LCD display info

quote:
here is my setup:
can terminator in the pcv, jumper to wb2, and then cable to lcd. spliced directly into the main harness on a 2002 zx12r.

tapped into taillight for switched power. the two green wires go to the quickshifter, and the third input wire gives me speed/gear

make sure you ground both the black and black/white wires on the wb2. the black/white would normally be grounded to your tps sensor if running the wb2 as a standalone system, but since it will be hooked up to your pcv for tps data, a good chassis ground will do

Thanks! Did everything correctly, the power to the LCD comes on, but doesn't display any real-time info. The RPM needle is at 0 and there are no numbers for a/f. The Wideband 2 flickers a red light. Too bad Dynojet has absolutely no info for troubleshooting. Can you help????

Thanks again!

Ignore this member   
Seno

Pro
BANNED FOR LIFE!
posted August 03, 2012 06:42 AM        
Did you setup your LCD screen? Page 7 on the LCD instructions... Just went through the same thing. BTW, with your WB2 connected to PCV, you can not use a 2nd map... when plugged in via cable, it reserves map 2 for Autotune. Just found that one out after 2 days of tech support, they told me PCV was bad....

Ignore this member   
new14rider

Novice Class
posted August 03, 2012 01:49 PM        
Thanks Seno. I have everything working properly, I just don't know how to use the data log info and how to adjust mapping in the computer. Do you know where I can find some tutorial on fine tuning a/f with WB2? I have the Brock's performance map installed to match my Brock's CT megaphone exhaust. It seems to be a bit rich. My a/f numbers are 12.2 at idle and range from 11 to 14 at normal riding with an average a/f of about 12.5. WOT is around 10.6-11 or so. Is it better to work on this map or just get the bike re-dynoed at a local shop for a 13.1 ratio and data log for ram air??

Thanks

Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
Quick Reply:

Email Notification: Send all replies to your email address.
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: HELP!! Dynojet Wideband Commander LCD 200 install NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2011 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.723120927811 seconds processing time