HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: Brock's clutch mod good for street and some LSR? NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
Thread: Brock\'s clutch mod good for street and some LSR?
new14rider

Novice Class
posted June 02, 2012 08:39 AM        
Brock's clutch mod good for street and some LSR?

I bought the Brock's clutch mod for my 2012 zx14r and still contemplating whether or not to install it.
I am building a land speed bike for Bonneville and will not be drag racing. Just 1/4 mile runs for wideband commander tuning. I want to ride on the street as well and will be installing a Dynojet quickshifter. I weigh 208 and trying to get to 195 before I race (I know rider weight plays a part in the clutch). Should I keep the slipper clutch in or go for intalling the clutch mod with the supplied spacers?

Also, the service manual specifies torquing the clutch nut to 100 ft lbs. Brock's video shows the nut tightened with an impact wrench. Most impact wrenches max torque specs are around 300 ft lbs. I don't want to over torque. I'm not sure if it is that critical once you remove the slipper springs.

What do you guys think? Do you notice a difference good or bad when street riding with this mod???

Thanks.

Ignore this member   
smokinZX14

Needs a life
posted June 02, 2012 09:17 AM        
I would get the clutch mod , if for no other reason the springs and shim kit will help you run higher speeds in LSR and also make you clutches last longer .. I see no need for the slipper clutch on any kind of high speed racing that does have any turns .. If you do some twisty riding just kit the shim kit ..I would agree that the slipper is a great thing for the street and could save your ass but LSR and drag racing it's more of a problem than a help ..

Ignore this member   
Wheelie

Needs a life
Old Man
posted June 02, 2012 01:04 PM        
quote:
I bought the Brock's clutch mod for my 2012 zx14r and still contemplating whether or not to install it.
I am building a land speed bike for Bonneville and will not be drag racing. Just 1/4 mile runs for wideband commander tuning. I want to ride on the street as well and will be installing a Dynojet quickshifter. I weigh 208 and trying to get to 195 before I race (I know rider weight plays a part in the clutch). Should I keep the slipper clutch in or go for intalling the clutch mod with the supplied spacers?

Also, the service manual specifies torquing the clutch nut to 100 ft lbs. Brock's video shows the nut tightened with an impact wrench. Most impact wrenches max torque specs are around 300 ft lbs. I don't want to over torque. I'm not sure if it is that critical once you remove the slipper springs.

What do you guys think? Do you notice a difference good or bad when street riding with this mod???

Thanks.
+1 on what Smokin said, did Brock hammer on the impact or just bump it a little when tightening the nut? Install the complete clutch mod and you will be pleased, I picked up 2+ mph in the 1/8th mile after the complete install, clutch is still so streetable like it should be, not over stiff or grabby.

wee

Ignore this member   
fury

Expert Class
posted July 01, 2012 08:05 PM        
quote:
quote:

Thanks.
+1 on what Smokin said, did Brock hammer on the impact or just bump it a little when tightening the nut? Install the complete clutch mod and you will be pleased, I picked up 2+ mph in the 1/8th mile after the complete install, clutch is still so streetable like it should be, not over stiff or grabby.

wee

I just added his kit for the zx14 - spring kit and shims. Very street able. My clutch was starting to slip. I did new steels and fibers and added the Brock kit. I already have a lock up clutch...
I pull clean to 300kmh according to GPS.
No slippage in any gear...

Nice and damp for this mornings ride... Roads dry. Just cold and wet...
Stock clutch seems to take a lot more abuse and still gives me the best bang for my dollar.

Ignore this member   
All times are PST(US) < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
Quick Reply:

Email Notification: Send all replies to your email address.
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: Brock\'s clutch mod good for street and some LSR? NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

Copyright 2000-2011 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.235361099243 seconds processing time