HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: Clutch time .... NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
smokinZX14

Needs a life
posted May 25, 2012 06:01 PM        Edited By: smokinZX14 on 26 May 2012 01:16
Clutch time ....

Last time to the track i noticed that even when i knew the clutch was out the was not .. It would slide out like it had a slider clutch in it ... Clutch fully releasted but still slipping .. It just felt real strange ...The bike was do for an oil change so what better time to pull the clutches and have a look see ... I have 100 to 120 runs on the stock clutches and some of them were back at stock wheel base and not clutch mod .. I know i was pretty hard on them at stock wheel base ..

The outer plates and steels were really burnt , the ones on the inside looked better .. I had noticed that last time i rode the bike around town the bike was creeping with the clutch pulled all the way in so i felt like i had warped a steel ot two the last time to the track ..

I had a hell of a time getting the first two steels out so i'm sure they were warped .. The rest of the steels came out just fine .. All fiction plates were way way under the service limit ..

The 2012 clutch uses the same plates but in different locations , The very rear clutch fiber is the wide pad like the very front plate .. They place the thin pad fiber one out from the rear with a the clutch cushion , unlike the gen1 where the put the thin fiber and cushion all they way in the rear .. I have no clue why they do this , guess they have their reasons ..

Looks to me you need to use two wide pad fibers and not one wide pad fiber like the Gen 1
Nobody is listing a clutch for the ZX14R yet.. Track king and Drag Pack clutches only offer 2006 to 2011 .. I think Wee changed his , maybe Wee can tell us what he used ? Wee you out there , please weight in before i order clutches ..

Ignore this member   
Wheelie

Needs a life
Old Man
posted May 25, 2012 06:32 PM        
Smokin, I changed because I thought I hurt it running without Brocks shims/clutch mod, lots of runs without it, I don't remember the stack height, I know it had wear so I replaced it , most of the fibers were good, some had a bit of wear, I went back with a 09 OEM clutch I had from a couple of years ago.

My steels came out easy and you know I leave at 7000-7500 rpm range, being at almost 70" wheelbase allows me to get out on the clutch pretty fast so it's not like slipping it at short wheelbase to control wheelies.

I've never tried an aftermarket clutch, I like the OEM and it works well for me, so that's what I will use in the future...

wee

Ignore this member   
Bently

Needs a life
2012 14r In Blue and no Mods!
posted May 25, 2012 06:47 PM        
Smokin my buddies bike has had the creep since day one. if Im in neutral and shift to first the bike moves.
  Ignore this member   
CraZX14

Expert Class
posted May 25, 2012 07:33 PM        
So Wee, is there anything significant with the '09 vs. other years?

Ignore this member   
Wheelie

Needs a life
Old Man
posted May 25, 2012 07:43 PM        
quote:
So Wee, is there anything significant with the '09 vs. other years?
Not that I know of, like Smokin said, on the 14r the judder spring is located in a few plates unlike the Gen 1.

wee

Ignore this member   
smokinZX14

Needs a life
posted May 25, 2012 08:09 PM        
quote:
Smokin my buddies bike has had the creep since day one. if Im in neutral and shift to first the bike moves.
Mine never did this before this last trip to the track .. It has to be the first two steels i pulled out causing it ... I had hell getting them out .. I have never seen a set this discolored in a zx14 before .. The first three plates were black ..

Ignore this member   
Seno

Pro
BANNED FOR LIFE!
posted May 26, 2012 04:13 AM        
Damn, sounds like you gave them hell!

Ignore this member   
RICH CRAFT 1

Zone Head
posted May 26, 2012 07:07 AM        Edited By: RICH CRAFT 1 on 26 May 2012 14:11
I guess no matter how much things change, clutch problem stay the same. on the older models You could take the oil cap off and look at the clutch if the installed heights were right, the outer edge of the clutch basket would be even with where the pressure plate dropped over. This was always a quick examination of how much clutch wear You had. not so much that the clutch was down , but that you were losing spring pressure because of it. And that made things worse. I haven't looked at wee bike to see if that's the same? a quick fix would be add shams to the Springs to make up the difference The clutch was down. obviously this would not fix warped steels.

Ken

Ignore this member   
Bently

Needs a life
posted May 26, 2012 08:59 AM        
quote:
I guess no matter how much things change, clutch problem stay the same. on the older models You could take the oil cap off and look at the clutch if the installed heights were right, the outer edge of the clutch basket would be even with where the pressure plate dropped over. This was always a quick examination of how much clutch wear You had. not so much that the clutch was down , but that you were losing spring pressure because of it. And that made things worse. I haven't looked at wee bike to see if that's the same? a quick fix would be add shams to the Springs to make up the difference The clutch was down. obviously this would not fix warped steels.

Ken

i think its different, hopefully someone else looks but mine has been inside what i call the fingers since new. on the old models it started even.

Ignore this member   
smokinZX14

Needs a life
posted May 26, 2012 09:39 AM        
quote:
quote:

Ken

i think its different, hopefully someone else looks but mine has been inside what i call the fingers since new. on the old models it started even.
Bently is right , you can't check the clutch like you did on the gen 1 ... Brand new mine were way inside the fingers of the clutch basket ..

Ignore this member   
codyc_13

Expert Class
posted May 26, 2012 10:59 AM        
quote:

Ken

Trying to picture what you are saying, here is a picture of my clutch with maybe 60 passes on it, is this what you are talking about

8.97 at 149mph

Ignore this member   
RICH CRAFT 1

Zone Head
posted May 26, 2012 11:18 AM        Edited By: RICH CRAFT 1 on 26 May 2012 18:29
quote:
quote:

Ken

Trying to picture what you are saying, here is a picture of my clutch with maybe 60 passes on it, is this what you are talking about

yes, that is exactly right. Those two arrow should line up even. looks like you're down about 30 thousandths. That's not bad. It just means you've lost that much spring pressure. As long as the clutch is still working good That's not a problem, but if the clutch feels like it's week. You can shim the Springs and you are good to go, unless the steels or bent. and that's easy to tell when the steels are in good shape, and you pull in on the clutch There is no drag, but when they are bent the bike wants to pull a little bit even with the clutch in. I can always tell when mine are bent when you go up to the line and bring it up on RPMs. The bike will try to pull even with the clutch in. When they or in good shape There is only a small amount you have to let out on the clutch for the bike to leave.

Ken

Ignore this member   
Bently

Needs a life
posted May 26, 2012 11:23 AM        
quote:
quote:
quote:

Ken

Bently is right , you can't check the clutch like you did on the gen 1 ... Brand new mine were way inside the fingers of the clutch basket ..

thanks lee that's what i was hoping!

Ignore this member   
Wheelie

Needs a life
Old Man
posted May 26, 2012 11:29 AM        
quote:
quote:
quote:

Ken

why can't you notice where it is after the install and watch it from there?

wee

Ignore this member   
codyc_13

Expert Class
posted May 26, 2012 12:07 PM        Edited By: codyc_13 on 26 May 2012 19:10
Thanks, that will save me some time not having to pull out the clutch and measure it.

8.97 at 149mph

Ignore this member   
Bently

Needs a life
posted May 26, 2012 02:57 PM        
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Ken

wee

wee i think Smokin meant it does not start the same, not that you can't check it

Ignore this member   
Wheelie

Needs a life
Old Man
posted May 26, 2012 03:00 PM        
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Ken

wee

wee i think Smokin meant it does not start the same, not that you can't check it
yes,I noticed that the day I bought mine, gen 1 was easy to read,

wee

Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
Quick Reply:

Email Notification: Send all replies to your email address.
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: Clutch time .... NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2011 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
1.35141181946 seconds processing time