HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: I wanna raise the arse end of my 2010 14, what options do i have? NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
tour10

Parking Attendant
posted May 16, 2012 09:36 AM        
I wanna raise the arse end of my 2010 14, what options do i have?

I wanna get my back end of my first gen zx-14 up a half inch or so. is anybody making a link that replaces the stock link? i'v thought about an aftermarket penske or equivalent shock but that chews up any where from $750 (used)-$1000 (new). any suggestions are appreciated

Ignore this member   
mick46

Expert Class
posted May 16, 2012 10:39 AM        
Brocks (or similar) adjustable lowering links shortened by 3/4 inch or so would do what you desire
Brocks CT Meg, PCV & QuickShifter, Brembo M4 Monoblocs, Grimeca 320mm discs, Nitron Race shock, Gilles rearsets , adjusters and TCA axle nut, Supersprox 42T, DID nickel plate X-ring, HEL brake lines, bar risers, shorty levers, tail tidy, Zero Gravity screen, RandG spools and bar ends, GPR V4 damper.... Done !
1999 Hayabusa , stretched lowered and a 60 shot !

Ignore this member   
atldude

Expert Class
Working on it...
posted May 16, 2012 10:50 AM        
Can't you just add a spacer on the upper side of the shock?

Like this: http://s28.photobucket.com/albums/c227/terrano1/zx10/?action=view&current=P1020074.jpg&sort=ascending

Whichever way you decide to do it, post back when you ride it..

Ignore this member   
eklipse636

Needs a life
ZX-14
posted May 16, 2012 02:34 PM        
quote:

Like this: http://s28.photobucket.com/albums/c227/terrano1/zx10/?action=view¤t=P1020074.jpg&sort=ascending

I wouldn't think raising the shock would raise the bike up. I thought that would have to be done by the links.

Just curious, why are you wanting to raise the rear up? It's pretty high stock

Ignore this member   
Wheelie

Needs a life
Old Man
posted May 16, 2012 02:44 PM        
quote:
quote:

Like this: http://s28.photobucket.com/albums/c227/terrano1/zx10/?action=view¤t=P1020074.jpg&sort=ascending

Just curious, why are you wanting to raise the rear up? It's pretty high stock
better cornering, Gixxer guys have been doing it for years.

wee

Ignore this member   
Quarter Pounder

Pro
with Cheese
posted May 16, 2012 02:53 PM        
some drop the yokes on the folks a bit to get the same result...but give up some cornering clearance. I'd rather raise the rear to negate any clearance issues. Ohlins shock fixed it no problem and handling is MUCH better than it was stock. Ride quality is also better...win win.

Only way to raise it is shorter links (adjustable noted above) or a proper shock. IMO, the shock is going to give you more results than just a raised rear end.
1.53 60'

Ignore this member   
atldude

Expert Class
Working on it...
posted May 16, 2012 03:49 PM        
I am not exactly an expert and might just be wrong but i really thought thats how you could raise the rear a lil bit as much as the thread up there allows .. Dunno

Found this and look at the desc: http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/viewitem?itemId=130689287817

Ignore this member   
MotoCycho

Expert Class
posted May 16, 2012 05:54 PM        
quote:
I am not exactly an expert and might just be wrong but i really thought thats how you could raise the rear a lil bit as much as the thread up there allows .. Dunno

Found this and look at the desc: http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/viewitem?itemId=130689287817

The 14 uses an horizontal eyelet type mount on the top of the shock and there is no bracket like you see in the pic you linked, the bolt passes through tabs which are part of the frame casting, so there is no place to insert such a shim.

Ignore this member   
atldude

Expert Class
Working on it...
posted May 16, 2012 06:50 PM        
Ah told you no expert was lookin around for my 10 recently and i remembered this but thanks for setting me straight mate.
  Ignore this member   
dcjens

Pro
Wet side of Washington
posted May 16, 2012 10:53 PM        
A 3 hole link goes up or down and are cheap

Ignore this member   
MotoCycho

Expert Class
posted May 16, 2012 11:57 PM        Edited By: MotoCycho on 17 May 2012 07:02
quote:

On my 3 hole links you get "stock", "lowered" or "more lowered". Maybe Soupy's adjustable links can go shorter than stock links and thereby raise the back. In fact.. you could simply cut off some of the center turnbuckle. The caution with Soupy's links is not to extend them out too far and thereby not have enough threads engaged, but making the center shorter would still provide an ample number of threads to be used. Hell, Soupy's might even be able to sell you a set with shorter turnbuckles ready to go.

Ignore this member   
tour10

Parking Attendant
posted May 17, 2012 08:06 AM        
quote:

Like this: http://s28.photobucket.com/albums/c227/terrano1/zx10/?action=view&current=P1020074.jpg&sort=ascending

unfortunately on the gen 1 zx14's a spacer cant be used, kawasaki used the old zx11 style rear shock mount instead of the 6r/9r/10r/12r mount where a shim or nut could be used.

Ignore this member   
dcjens

Pro
Wet side of Washington
posted May 17, 2012 11:43 AM        
quote:
quote:

On my 3 hole links you get "stock", "lowered" or "more lowered". Maybe Soupy's adjustable links can go shorter than stock links and thereby raise the back. In fact.. you could simply cut off some of the center turnbuckle. The caution with Soupy's links is not to extend them out too far and thereby not have enough threads engaged, but making the center shorter would still provide an ample number of threads to be used. Hell, Soupy's might even be able to sell you a set with shorter turnbuckles ready to go.

been awhile since i looked at mine..my bad.. it is stock..low and slammed

Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
Quick Reply:

Email Notification: Send all replies to your email address.
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: I wanna raise the arse end of my 2010 14, what options do i have? NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2011 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.628273963928 seconds processing time